Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Draquafresh
    PSN
    Retrogamingroom

Default NES Problems

I have an original NES that has some problems:

1- Grey Screen (I know I should get a replacement PIN, but the new ones make it harder to get the game out then now) which brings me to problem 2-
    It is hard getting the game in and out with ease. I have to pull so hard that if I let go of the NES, it would shoot clean across the room and then 3-
    The black and silver thing that you insert the game into doesn't always stay down and when it does, you have to push right in the middle of the cartridge
    for it to stay down, and I used to be able to do it from anywhere.
    I wish that I could push on the handle of the game instead of the middle.
    It's a small complaint, but I am used to the handle and prefer it more.

If you have any ideas, please leave a comment below. Thank You!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hippytipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose I could trouble shoot this a tad.

First off I would dismantle everything (carefully). Removed the Pin connector from the board and take a close look at the pins on it. If the cart gets stuck and is too hard to remove. I'm thinking the pins need to be pushed down just a little.
    Get a small tool like a tiny screw driver or something. Try to push each and every pin downward bending them in just a little. It will help the carts not stick so much, but might also reduce connectivity. Depending on how deeply you adjusted it.
    Works the same way in reverse if the carts don't fit well can the connection sucks.

Second. The black tray that holds the cart down.
    So far from what I've noticed in my adventures dismantling and rebuilding NES systems, I don't know why but those two screws that go in the front of the black tray (one to the left and one to the right), If they are too tightly screwed in this causes issues with it staying down when the whole console is put back together.
    When putting this piece back in after adjusting the Pins. Keep those screws just a little loose. This might help a little, but also might require some attention. So don't screw the top of the NES back on just yet until everything is in working order.
    Last edited by Hippytipper; 06-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1 & 2:
    With the original connector:

Do that with every pin in the bottom row. That should suffice.

If it doesn't:

Do that to every pin in the top row.

3:

The little pivot in the cartridge caddy is worn and goes out of the "lanes". Put a piece of material in the hole to keep it inside the "lanes"

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Theretrogamingroom View Post
    3-
    The black and silver thing that you insert the game into doesn't always stay down and when it does, you have to push right in the middle of the cartridge
    for it to stay down, and I used to be able to do it from anywhere.
    That sounds more like the tray lock is worn. It uses a little mechanism that locks when you push it down, and unlocks when you push it down again. It's a similar mechanism to clicking a pen. I don't know how you'd fix this, however.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds suspiciously like this NES has been improperly refurbished. If the 72-pin connector is so tight that it bites onto and holds the games it is DEFINITELY not an original connector.

The connector might need to be refurbed, but since it's an aftermarket connector, is most likely a dud unit. Your best approach (but perhaps most time consuming) is to source an original nintendo-made connector and follow the steps already posted above by izarate.

as for the lack of lock-down on the cart slot, my guess is that whatever ass-clown replaced the 72-pin connector didn't know how to properly re-assemble the unit. the bottom half of the big black cart tray itself has a small clip at the front that needs to overhang the motherboard and clip in on the underside of the board. if this is not done correctly (and often isn't by first-time refurbishers) the tray won't lock down properly and necessitates the minute loosening of the screws, as mentioned by hippytripper.

i suspect that if you open the unit you'll see that the cart tray IS NOT properly attached to the mo-bo and from there you can

a) assume with confidence that it's a half-assed refurb
    b) at least properly attach the cart tray to fix your locking problem
    c) check the 72-pin to see if it's an original or of MCM manufacture
    d) start looking around and learning how to refurb yourself so you can save money and assure quality in the future
    e) profit.

good luck!