Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you guys totally avoid "Current" systems

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do any of you guys totally avoid "Current" systems

Do any of you guys completely avoid the Current systems and their games. I currently have a XBOX and a GameCube, but I have for the moment moved both of them into a closet, along with all of their accessories, and I'm only playing older machines right now.

I was wondering if anybody else has shun the modern systems that currently hold favor right now.

Do any of you guys avoid the PS2, XBOX and GameCube at all costs?

Do any of you avoid the PS2, XBOX and GameCube until you can get them and their games for super cheap, like when they are the older systems?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't avoid them at all costs. I owned a PS2 just recently, with Vice City and a few others, and to be honest I had a lot of fun with them for a few weeks. But then something happened where I just didn't have the need to play any of the PS2 games I had, so I sold everything while I could still get a decent amount of money for it. I may in the future grab some of the 128 bit stuff when its cheaper, but I don't know. I tend to shy away from non-cartridge systems generally, because it's just not nostalgic enough for me I guess. There are so many cartridge games out there that I can collect, that I don't see myself getting back into any cd-systems anytime soon, plus on a collecting standpoint, its just not a challenge to collect for new systems. I kind of like the hunt involved in searching out old 2600 games and stuff ya know? It takes alot more determination and skill to collect old stuff, as opposed to going to best buy and handing the cashier $50. I guess collecting classic systems is more rewarding in that sense, not to mention the games are better on classic systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the old systems myself...but I get on my son's XBOX every now and then

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't avoid the current-gen systems (I pwn a PS2 and Xbox), but I do my best to not pay more than $20, preferably less than $15, for the games. As you may imagine, I'm not often playing the latest, hottest titles.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that the newest, latest systems can be the only non-MAME way to play some (near) perfect arcade emulations on your couch. My Playstation allows me to suffer endless abuse at the hands of R-Type, Shienryu (Gekioh), and Xevious, and use a trackball for Crystal Castles, Marble Madness, and Missile Command. The PS2 breathes life into Gradius III. The Saturn brought home dozens of classic 90s arcade shooters.

Sometimes you have to live in the present to live in the past.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to avoid cd-based systems...thats really it. Everything I collect is cart/card based. No load times!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't avoid them, but I am selling my XBOX. the GCN has three or so titles I definitly MUST HAVE and PS2 has DDR and a lot of good RPGs.... However when the next gen comes around I'm not touching them until they hit $140 used like they are now. I still need to get PS2 games for crying out loud, I only have two!

-AG

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Do any of you guys totally avoid "Current" sys

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Do any of you guys avoid the PS2, XBOX and GameCube at all costs?
    Not really...but cost does have a lot to do with it, cost of the machine, cost of the games. I don't have a budget that'll support new-game prices right now. If I did get one of the modern systems, it'd probably be either the Gamecube (due to the GB Player, the excellent Star Wars titles, and Pikmin), or the Xbox (so I could mod it into a MAME machine). But right now those aren't compelling enough reasons for me to plunk down the cash for either one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do any of you avoid the PS2, XBOX and GameCube until you can get them and their games for super cheap, like when they are the older systems?
    Most definately!

cost does have a lot to do with it, cost of the machine, cost of the games. I don't have a budget that'll support new-game prices right now.
    Being in high school, neither do I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

No, I don't avoid the latest greatest systems. I have a Gamecube and an Xbox as both had some games that appealed to me (and my wife, who would be happy if I just glued the GC's door shut with Animal Crossing locked inside) that made the price of admission worth it. I tend, like the others, buy the games when they are cheaper unless it's a pretty swell game where I have to get it NOW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to shun all modern systems, but all that changed when Wind Waker was announced. But for the most part I play my older systems a majority of the time.
    SO not the Drama.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I probably won't bring out my XBOX or Cube for quite some time. I have some interest in Wario's World for the Cube, but after playing these old systems and enjoying them so much, I'm going to take a wait until it's $29.99 or less brand new approach.

The next game that I pay full pop for ($49.99) will likely be ESPN NFL Football 2004 for the XBOX. This is the sequel to NFL2K3. I love NFL Football Video Games with a passion. So I will have to get my game on when that puppy comes out in early September. But I'm sure that, that game will be the next brand new game I buy for more than $29.99 or even $24.99.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the older gaming systems. I took down my Playstation a long time ago, and the Gamecube isn't used too much. However, when Mario Kart Double Dash comes out my Gamecube will be used 24/7.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

The Nintendo 64 is the most most recent system I own. I have avoided anything newer.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I don't avoid anything, ever, if the price is right. If I've learned one thing in my years of collecting it's not to pass up a good deal regardless of the system in question. I don't buy anything at retail price anymore, there really hasn't been ANYTHING that I "have to play" on a next-gen system (I don't know if that's me getting wise or just getting old), but I also don't mind having stacks of games for any given console that will SOMEDAY get played.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

No, but on the other hand, I don't go overboard. I've nearly always only had one console from each generation, and for the last 3 generations that has been the one from Nintendo. Strangely enough however, my GC collection after 19 months of ownership already outstrips my N64 collection since I got it back in early 1997!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EXACTLY. i avoid them until there cheap and i can scurry up all the games from friends for cheapola. I dont avoid them though, newest system i have is psx. But i am a hell of a halo player with no xbox

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love games, no matter if they are old or new. Sometimes I will buy a brand new title if there is a game i must play. I am really into playing dreamcast games though. I love that system for some odd reason.

Scott

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Lifebringeroftorv
    I am really into playing dreamcast games though. I love that system for some odd reason.
    I know what that odd reason is.

It's because the Dreamcast is the greatest system ever.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only avoid new systems for one reason, to save money. I love getting good deals and I like to stay a step behind the trends. While everyone is paying out big bucks for new titles, I can sit back and get most dreamcast or n64 games for between $5-$10. I have around 60 titles for DC at this point and have not paid more than $12 for any of them. Most I paid $5 or less when they were being cleared out. Let face it the dreamcast is not really that far behind in graphics in my opinion.
    Of course I would like to have all new systems and games but there is always so much older stuff I never got to play. Just think how much money is saved by doing this. Nothing is worse than paying $40-$60 for a new game and finding out it sucks. It doesn't hurt so bad when it only cost you $5.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'm like Joe - I don't avoid *anything* I can get my hands onto. There are *lots* of good deals and games out there for the newer systems. And, personally, I find that going back to an older system is *much* more enjoyable if I played the system when it was 'new'. I figure I'm just paving the way for a great future
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end