0 Posts

Sword Master-Nes
    Ardy Lightfoot-Snes
    Aero Fighters-Snes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

What amazes me is that I already have so many of these games mentioned, and several of them found in the wild. EVO Search for Eden? Bought it a couple of years ago in a thrift for a few bucks. Killer Bees! I bought in a retro game store in Waco last year for two dollars (great game). Shinobi Legions (Japanese import, bought for $2.50 at the Oklahoma Game Expo), Diner (bought new at Toys R' Us back in the day), Ikaruga (Fry's Electronics, marked down to $14.90), Intelligent Qube (recent thrift store find for less than five bucks), Lynx Lemmings (bought when it came out), and so on. I didn't have much of a point to make, other than to brag.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    Saturn: Shinobi Legions (nice upgrade on classic series)
    Honestly? That game is horrible! I remember how disappointed I was after picking up a copy on release day (which I still have). You're probably the first person I've come across to actually write something positive about it.
    Visit Golden's Retro Gaming Channel on YouTube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/goldenretrogames

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post
    Honestly? That game is horrible! I remember how disappointed I was after picking up a copy on release day (which I still have). You're probably the first person I've come across to actually write something positive about it.
    I love this game. ..... that is all.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) BiggerBoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    How about 'Stop poaching these boards for material for your fucking books' for the INTV
    The amount of ridiculous little offenses possible for someone to make on the internet now days absolutely astounds me. Who gives an egg if a nice-enough guy is trying to write a book, and using a forum to help do so? You're on the INTERNET - if any of my own threads have shown anything, it's that if there's a post that doesn't particularly pique someone's interest (or in this case, a post that's apparently offensive or considered 'trolling' - which, fuck, where did this term originate, and why is it so bad to 'troll' in the first place? - and aren't most of us gamers Trolls IRL? - are our online lives becoming that tedious that we have to start governing one of the freest mediums of sociology we have left, by picking apart the good name ((screen name, mind you)) of any poster who steps over our delicately-laid line?) - you can ignore it! There are some places on the net where folks come to forums with shameless self-advertisement, and leave no extra food for thought, but where's the provocation in this thread? You'd think the guy writing in detail every day about his own bowel movements would understand the trials and tribulations certain writers who like to deal in non-traditional subject matter sometimes have to face (Just read the case papers on the American censorship/ban of Ulysses, man), and that in the end, this guy didn't even concretely mention his book - all he did was post a thread wanting to talk about rare games! I can say from experience that it's not the easiest thing to find people in your own area who think as deeply about video games as say, the author writing about them might want to - so where else can a writer turn but a forum that's (almost) chock-full of people who want to do nothing BUT talk about games? God knows they do enough silent reading, let them communicate.

BTW - I noticed that my Donkey Kong Country cart indicated that it was indeed, 'Rareware' - I'm assuming this was some buzz word in the '90's for a rare piece of gaming software. How much is one of you going to pay for it?
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

This thread is awesome.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[QUOTE=BiggerBoo;1729782]The amount of ridiculous little offenses possible for someone to make on the internet now days absolutely astounds me. Who gives an egg if a nice-enough guy is trying to write a book, and using a forum to help do so? You're on the INTERNET - if any of my own threads have shown anything, it's that if there's a post that doesn't particularly pique someone's interest (or in this case, a post that's apparently offensive or considered 'trolling' - which, fuck, where did this term originate, and why is it so bad to 'troll' in the first place? - and aren't most of us gamers Trolls IRL? - are our online lives becoming that tedious that we have to start governing one of the freest mediums of sociology we have left, by picking apart the good name ((screen name, mind you)) of any poster who steps over our delicately-laid line?) - you can ignore it! There are some places on the net where folks come to forums with shameless self-advertisement, and leave no extra food for thought, but where's the provocation in this thread? You'd think the guy writing in detail every day about his own bowel movements would understand the trials and tribulations certain writers who like to deal in non-traditional subject matter sometimes have to face (Just read the case papers on the American censorship/ban of Ulysses, man), and that in the end, this guy didn't even concretely mention his book - all he did was post a thread wanting to talk about rare games! I can say from experience that it's not the easiest thing to find people in your own area who think as deeply about video games as say, the author writing about them might want to - so where else can a writer turn but a forum that's (almost) chock-full of people who want to do nothing BUT talk about games? God knows they do enough silent reading, let them communicate.[QUOTE]

Well said, my friend.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Dearest cheech,

While I respect your well thoughtout post, please see the following:

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerBoo View Post
    Who gives an egg if a nice-enough guy is trying to write a book, and using a forum to help do so? You're on the INTERNET -

You'd think the guy writing in detail every day about his own bowel movements would understand the trials and tribulations certain writers who like to deal in non-traditional subject matter sometimes have to face (Just read the case papers on the American censorship/ban of Ulysses, man), and that in the end, this guy didn't even concretely mention his book - all he did was post a thread wanting to talk about rare games!
    And that's it exactly. THE INTERNETS. We're on it and we have this thing called Google. The OP needs to learn how to use it. Members here, at AA, at NA, etc have already done the legwork and it's all recorded here. A little Googlefu with site: is all he needs.

Oh and then there are these threads. As neuro put it, this isn't the first time he's used DP as a research library.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143483
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142614
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139418
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139060
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126476
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126014
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126562
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138487
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129663
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131347
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128953
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118787
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125115
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116458
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118606

As far as him not mentioning writing a book:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141083
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141081

Since you're so interested in it, you should know that last night, I may have got shit on my finger while wiping my ass.

are our online lives becoming that tedious that we have to start governing one of the freest mediums of sociology we have left, by picking apart the good name ((screen name, mind you)) of any poster who steps over our delicately-laid line?)
    Lemme show you something.

It's exponential!

There are some places on the net where folks come to forums with shameless self-advertisement, and leave no extra food for thought, but where's the provocation in this thread?
    Just want to address this, but yes, we usually jump on those whores right quickly and their threads are usually flamed into oblivion. If I had an example, I'd show you.
    Last edited by portnoyd; 06-04-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Despite the usefulness of Google, there is oftentimes contradicting information. Many DP'ers are experts on particular games and are happy to provide info. I acknowledged that in the special thanks section of my second book.

Those who write mystery novels usually contact police departments, detectives, etc. when working on their books. Simply Googling info is not always enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if it's just me, but Metal Gear Solid seems to have become fairly scarce at most game retailers that I go to.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not insulting anyone. I just think it's weird and wonder why anyone would do such a thing. Freud would have a field day.
    Sometimes a log is just a log.

Sociology is a load of crap. My college text books first sentence was, "Common Sense doesn't exist." Dropped the course, burned the book. Psychology (also Praxeology) does what Sociology don't.

And you are technically incorrect. Freud would have a field day with Killer 7 and Deadly Premonition.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-04-2010 at 07:46 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those who write mystery novels usually contact police departments, detectives, etc. when working on their books. Simply Googling info is not always enough.
    Yes, they contact the police. They don't bug members of the community for directions to the police department. When you ask people to direct you to the websites where you find you're info (which I've seen examples of) you just come off as lazy.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a former newspaper reporter I have to say, using an Internet forum as a source for a written work is a bad idea. At least if you use it as a sole source. Sure, there are knowledgeable people here and other places online, but it's still the case that too many people get things wrong or even make shit up to fuck with you. You could use it to guide you in the right direction, but what if you, for example, asked a question about PCE and ended up using an incorrect response from some idiot like Nintega in your book? That would be embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    Yes, they contact the police. They don't bug members of the community for directions to the police department. When you ask people to direct you to the websites where you find you're info (which I've seen examples of) you just come off as lazy.
    The best websites for a certain topic don't always turn up in Google searches, at least using certain terms. I've been given valuable recommendations by DP'ers for websites that I wouldn't otherwise have known about. I search exhaustively through the web before I ever post any questions on Digital Press. These books take years to write, and that is on top of my far more lucrative writing jobs, so I'd hardly call that lazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    As a former newspaper reporter I have to say, using an Internet forum as a source for a written work is a bad idea. At least if you use it as a sole source. Sure, there are knowledgeable people here and other places online, but it's still the case that too many people get things wrong or even make shit up to fuck with you. You could use it to guide you in the right direction, but what if you, for example, asked a question about PCE and ended up using an incorrect response from some idiot like Nintega in your book? That would be embarrassing.
    Obviously, I always check a bunch of different sources for any fact I'm not already sure about. If I ask if anyone knows for sure who developed a game, I compare that to numerous other sources (programmer interviews, data bases, etc.).

For example, when I was told who programmed Jr. Pac-Man, I Googled that person's name and found a couple of interviews about programming that game, so I knew the information was correct.
    Last edited by 8bitgamer; 06-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) BiggerBoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can say from experience that it's not the easiest thing to find people in your own area who think as deeply about video games as say, the author writing about them might want to -
    I wasn't talking about digging up facts.
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back on topic, Snatcher for the Sega cd is somewhat hard to find, especially in the wild. Of course, I've never finished it so I can't honestly say if it's a great game but I was very much intrigued buy what I played of it so far. One day I need to put it in my X-Eye and finish it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A good teaching professional

This used to be spam for golf equipment. And now it isn't.

Last edited by NoahsMyBro; 06-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.