Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis VIDEO DISPLAY PERFECTION. found perfect tv/monitor that accepts rgb

Insert Coin (Level 0) arcadecup's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis VIDEO DISPLAY PERFECTION. found perfect tv/monitor that accepts rgb

Alright, tonight I am absolutely thrilled.
    Just hooked up my genesis model 1 for the first time in about 2 years with a RF switch... About 2 seconds later I quickly checked the pinout of the av out. I was amazed to discover it can output in the ultimate video format! R-G-B! This is going to look absolute gem when I either make a cable or purchase one. So for the sake of saving time and resources searching for parts to build a cable I wanted to know if there are already full cable assemblies for the genesis model one with rgb bnc out. The input on the TV for inputs is all bnc except for the audio. This is going to look so damn clean I’ll be doing cartwheels. As a collector and repairer CRT monitors I just happened to have this sony monitor lying around. I think they go for about 100/200$ on eBay... Rightfully so.
    snes also!.. man.. im pumped.

sony pvm-20m2u..

Last edited by arcadecup; 06-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Chad Entringer
    920-883-8905
    www.arcadecup.com

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Sony Trinitrons are the best TVs for Classic Gaming, no doubt about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I freaking love my Trinitron, a KV-1311CR. It has two other connectors for RGB, for Amiga and Atari computers and such.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Trinitron's in general are great for classic games, best CRT ever made IMHO. I have a nice 27 incher that I won't be replacing anytime soon.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So.. RGB at the expense of a little TV/monitor? No thanks. I'll take an s-video mod + bigger/decent screen over that setup.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im still amazed americans didnt have decent TV's with RGB scart support, us pal gamers have been getting good picture quality in our Sega hardware from day 1.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    Im still amazed americans didnt have decent TV's with RGB scart support, us pal gamers have been getting good picture quality in our Sega hardware from day 1.
    listen, don't rub it in! It hurts my feelings. lol. Do you know how many frigging RGB monitors I have sitting here with the slot for SCART on the back, unpunched? Taunting me! Going "heyyyy if you lived in Europe, this monitor would totally have useful connectivity back here!"

Those sony trinitron monitors are frigging badass.

I also recommend the Commodore 1084-S (S for stereo sound).

They too are awesome at RGB, and easy as shit to hack up a cable for just about any system.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What’s really nice is this is a broadcast TV/monitor so it’s going to look absolute gem. Also, it does PAL! Import time
    Looks like I will be fabricating a cable as the only ones that seem avail have the scart interface.
    Chad Entringer
    920-883-8905
    www.arcadecup.com

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Euros have RGB, but they never mention about their refresh rate being worse than USA.. Besides I have an XBOX with thousands and thousands of classic games that I can play in Component video which is the same as RGB isn't it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    Euros have RGB, but they never mention about their refresh rate being worse than USA.. Besides I have an XBOX with thousands and thousands of classic games that I can play in Component video which is the same as RGB isn't it?
    Technically no, there is no compression with rgb, while there is compression with YPbPr (Component as you know it today). And unless your xbox is able to output at low, low resolutions like 240p (I think someone mentioned the wii can but I dont know about the xbox), its not really going to be the same. You get more video options and it will probably look pretty good regardless, but then you're still dealing with emulation

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The picture quality is unbelievably good on my Sony Trinitrons. And emulation is very close to perfect on all 8 and 16 bit. Even most N64 games run great.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The picture quality is unbelievably good on my Sony Trinitrons. And emulation is very close to perfect on all 8 and 16 bit. Even most N64 games run great.
    Yeah, emulation is more than enough for the vast majority of people wanting to play old games, and stuff like upscaling + an ntsc filter on most emulators makes it look real close, but there are still people who would argue on the more minor details of accurate image output and hardware accuracy. I'm pretty sure hardware perfect emulation of snes is way beyond the technical capabilities of an xbox - bsnes needs some reasonably beefy hardware.

I also get rompackitis, where staring at a full goodset of roms just makes my eyes glaze over and not want to play anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My set supports an NTSC refresh rate as well and I have ntsc hardware so I dont have an issue
    zomg I have a sig

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was definitely considering the Xbox for emulation of arcade games, but once I found out I couldn't do 240p with it I had to reconsider.

I have a PVM 2030 and the picture is amazing, definitely worth the trouble of building RGB cables for your various systems. S-Video looks really good on it as well, but if you play with RGB enough you get spoiled and it's hard to go back!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii does 240p I think (I know it has been mentioned as an option when checking 240p compatibility with newer sets via component - setting output to 480i and then checking a VC title that is known to output in 240p). Its version of mame is still a little lacking though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaming in RGB on older consoles is tops, especially on a 15khz capable monitor. While the colorspace differences between YPbPr and RGB are mostly negligable the RGB output from an older game console on a professional/broadcast/medical grade monitor can hardly be beat, especially if one loves their scanlines.

I use NES/FC/FDS/SFC/Duo/TG16/X'eye/SMS/MSX2+/Neo Geo/Wii/PS2/Arcade supergun with RGB connections in switchbox passed through a distro amp into a Sony Trinitron PGM 2950, PVM 20N2U(for vertical arcade pcb tate) and a holo3d pc input card.

I could probably give up the crts for a low lag lcd or plasma and a swivel mount for tating, if I got a xrgb2+ scaler or equivilant. But I would never go back to svideo, composite, or RF for anything after being spoiled with this kind of video quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Do Japanese RGB cables work on an American display? They're both NTSC, and all.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

American TVs don't generally have 15khz RGB inputs (there are some rare exceptions) unless one has a professional grade monitor. RGB strictly speaking is neither NTSC or PAL, as there are no bandwidth restrictions. The only difference to note between "PAL" and "NTSC" RGB is the scan refresh rate, 50 vs 60 hz respectively.

European TVs use a bi-directional standard/connector standard called SCART that is capable of carrying multiple kinds of video and audio signals, including RGB. The Japanese version of SCART (JSCART if you like) uses the same connector but has a different pinout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cable parts on the way for assembly...
    I will post pics of rf, av, & then rgb..
    Hopefully pics with a camera will show the difference in a just way.
    Chad Entringer
    920-883-8905
    www.arcadecup.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have some of those where I work. Unfortunately they all have major burn in after being on for close to 20 years straight. It would look right at home with a Sony Beta SP deck sitting under it.