Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan-Translation Recommendations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fan-Translation Recommendations?

Seeing how modern games less and less appeal to me, I've decided to plow back through the back catalogue of RPGs. After finishing off most of the ones that have been localised (and caught my interest), I wanted to seriously go through some fan translated gems.

So, what games can people recommend? Also, if you have completed these games it would be helpful to know this...hate the idea of playing something through to 90% completion only for the game to crash or be unfinished
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

One game that a lot of people overlook is Monster World IV on the Genesis. It's an adorable and great action/RPG, which is also really nice-looking. I've beaten it several times and it's one of my favourite Genesis games. Apparently there's a patch for the patch now, which I haven't tried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    One game that a lot of people overlook is Monster World IV on the Genesis. It's an adorable and great action/RPG, which is also really nice-looking. I've beaten it several times and it's one of my favourite Genesis games. Apparently there's a patch for the patch now, which I haven't tried.
    Thanks. Will definitely check it out.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you have the magical dark arts available to you, the strategy RPG Namco x Capcom is being english translated. It's playable as we speak, and I've gone about eight missions in with great fun. The story, even translated to english, is fractured and all over the place. Still, fun with a neat style of strat-RPG battling.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'd recommend my own crap, but that would be stupid.

So I suggest a dose of Cave Story with a side of Star Fox 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mother 1 is good if you feel like getting a dump of the proto or a hack.

Bio-Senshi Dan (Bio-Warrior Dan in English) is also worth checking out. It's got that mix of Metroid and swordfighting, and does it pretty well.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I'd recommend my own crap, but that would be stupid.

So I suggest a dose of Cave Story with a side of Star Fox 2.
    I am curious...what have you worked on? Don't be shy!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second the notion for Cave Story, it's a wonderful 8-bit-esque gem, and pretty much what I think of when I think of great independently-made games. (Literally independent in this case, as it was made solely by one person.) It's a sidescroller along the lines of a Metroidvania, but has a plot given via dialog and short cutscenes that is surprisingly decent. It's also nicely challenging.

As for other games.. If you're in the mood for strat RPGs and familiar mecha, Super Robot Wars 3 for the SNES is fully translated, and if you have PSX capabilities, Alpha Gaiden is as well. (Although apparently the latter has some minor graphical bugs here and there, but the full story and dialog translation is there.)

I was hoping that Lord of the Elemental, which is the first SRW game based on original content, would have been done by now, but I guess it's still at 50%.. Maybe the remake coming out will light a fire under people to get going on that again.

Anyway, people tend to clamour about Seiken Densetsu 3, which is more of an action RPG, being pretty good, although I haven't played it yet myself. But a game better than Secret of Mana is bound to be quite nice.

Edit: Ditto the Mother 1 mention, can't believe I forgot that. Early morning for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Policenauts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worlds first survival horror game was arguably Sweet Home for the Famicom. It's a great little RPG that was based off of a Japanese movie by the same name. it was fan translated and you can pick up a copy of it at www.nesreproductions.com for $25 plus a donor cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A while back, I played Holy Umbrella for the Super Famicom. A great, humorous platform game that doesn't take a whole lot of time to beat.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you've played and enjoyed Persona or Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, I'd recommend Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mother aka Earthbound 0 is great; in fact, I like it a lot more than Earthbound on the SNES. Sweet Home is also very cool. You have to split up your party members and they all have useful skills. Also if anyone dies, they're dead.

Seiken Densetsu 3 I didn't care for. It plays like a cross between Secret of Mana and SaGa Frontier. Ugh. But here's the thing: If you've played and liked any other Mana game, you'll probably like it. If you're like me and only like Secret of Mana, you probably won't like it.

Star Ocean is fun, and getting to see the original graphics beats the PSP remake, imo. It's a technical marvel. My only problem w/ it is that the storyline feels very disjointed and unfocused. And trite. It's worth playing tho, and I've been told that I missed a lot of story sequences in the game, so maybe if you're more OCD about it (or you use a walkthru) you'll get more out of it.

I just started playing Esper Dream on the FDS and it has a fairly interesting battle engine and unique look to it. I'm enjoying it anyway.

I'd also recommend playing the translation of Ys for the Famicom, but I haven't played it all the way thru yet. It's a lot different from the Master System or Turbo CD versions, and seems like a really good port.

I really need to play Holy Umbrella. I've wanted to play that game for a long time. That trans must be new b/c when I was hunting down translated roms I didn't come across it, and I'd have been all over it if I had.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'd like to play Akira for Famicom, but it's unplayable because of the Japanese text, is it even any good, and are there any translations for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ys IV for PC Engine CD (do not bother with the SFC version). It returns to the style of Book I & II and is grand.

The original Shin Megami Tensei is excellent.

Also, almost everything Squaresoft did has a fan translation. I recommend Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2). I also really enjoyed what I played of Romancing Saga 3, but I think the translation might be incomplete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recommend MIJET's translation of King Colossus for the Mega Drive. A really atmospheric and fun action-RPG.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Live-A-Live is another oft recommended Squaresoft translation. The Shining Force 3 translations are getting ever closer and closer to completion. Scenario 2 is fully playable and Scenario 3 is pretty close (no final chapter and a freeze in the first chapter), as well as the proper translation of Scenario 1 (which was improperly translated to give it a closed ending in the U.S. version).

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

One title that almost never gets mentioned is Front Mission: Gun Hazard. It is a side scrolling Action/RPG developed by Square in the good old days. I found it to be extremely enjoyable and played it from start to finish. Great graphics, gameplay and music! Check it out.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Sweet home for NES is a fun and well made game. It's a survival horror RPG made by Capcom that should of been released in the USA but wasn't.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gekisha Boy was translated IIRC. A very unique game
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.