Insert Coin (Level 0) wataru330's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    wataru3THIRTY

Talking

RGB is pixel perfect, PERIOD. folks who go thru the trouble of securing this kind of set up are the same people who would not eat Pheasant Under Glass off of a paper plate. Or drink Brut out of a dixie cup. YMMV, and by all means- don't take just my word for it.

http://nfggames.com/atarilabs/meat/2...gbprimer.shtml

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/caveatrgb.htm

http://tsenzen.blogspot.com/2007/04/...-rgb-test.html
    ***WE ARE BIG CLUB!!!***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavica View Post
    thanks, yes I need for US.

What did you use for sound? you think this should work fine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Yes, that should work if you are running a Genesis 2 setup. That pass through adapter will capture the audio so that you can run audio cables from there to your TV/Stereo. The converter box does not input/output audio, I wish it did though, it would make things easier. Now I do not know if the pass through will output S-video however since the Genesis does not natively output S-Video. I would think it would output the composite video though - not that you'd want it for that. Some people use an RGB/SCART switch box also. That doubles as an audio pass through and you can also hook multiple systems up to one RGB converter.

I am using an X'Eye which has your typical Genesis 2 A/V out jack AND your standard composite audio/video jacks on the back. So I am using the rgb cable to converter for video, and the red and white jacks on the back of the X'Eye for the audio.

On the Genesis 1 you can run the audio out of the headphone jack with a headphone ----> rca splitter, same for the CDX or anything else with a headphone jack.

I personally like everything to go out the back of the console and not cables out the front, so I didn't do the headphone jack route (but I also had other options with the X'Eye).
    Last edited by Oldskool; 07-07-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yes, that should work if you are running a Genesis 2 setup. That pass through adapter will capture the audio so that you can run audio cables from there to your TV/Stereo. The converter box does not input/output audio, I wish it did though, it would make things easier. Now I do not know if the pass through will output S-video however since the Genesis does not natively output S-Video. I would think it would output the composite video though - not that you'd want it for that. Some people use an RGB/SCART switch box also. That doubles as an audio pass through and you can also hook multiple systems up to one RGB converter.

I am using an X'Eye which has your standard composite audio/video jacks on the back. So I am using the rgb cable to converter for video, and the red and white jacks on the back of the X'Eye for the audio.

On the Genesis 1 you can run the audio out of the headphone jack with a headphone ----> rca splitter, same for the CDX or anything else with a headphone jack.

I personally like everything to go out the back of the console and not cables out the front, so I didn't do the headphone jack route (but I also had other options with the X'Eye).
    Just one last question, those scart cables like the one you post that are for european genesis, they should work fine on american genesis right?

what about Super Nintendo Scart, Satun, etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I purchased my RGB/SCART cable straight from the same link I posted you, and they are in England. It plugged in and worked perfectly on my US system, so no need to worry there, that cable will work on ANY Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System console out there. Not sure on the Master System II and the Genesis 3 however.

Not sure on the Saturn, SNES, etc. I know they have SNES RGB/SCART cables, but I think only the SNES's that output S-Video output RGB as well. I believe that the SNES 2 does not, but don't quote me on that. I am using an S-Video cable on my SNES 1 and to be honest with you, it looks pretty amazing, and is a bit cheaper than going the RGB route, unless you already have the converter for another system and you run everything through a switch box.

The Saturn I am really not too sure. I have not looked into it. But apparently it outputs RGB as well so I would assume that if you could find the cable for it, it will work.

EDIT:

Says this will work on any US/PAL/JAPANESE SNES console, might need to be verified as I've heard that they don't work on some SNES's, either that or the people had a bad cable or something:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-NINTENDO-S...4#ht_518wt_930

Official Super Famicom RGB/SCART Cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Famicom-Or...#ht_1031wt_704

SATURN Rgb/Scart cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RGB-SCART-VIDEO-...ht_2609wt_1002

Doesn't state that it will work on a USA console, but I'm sure it will.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 07-06-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THANKS

what is this deal of scart not working on some tvs due to not handle 240p? would hate to spend 80 bucks for this and then it wont work on my lcd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard some people with issues on it. And I think I might be one of them, I have yet to try mine on an LCD TV yet. But I think a good test is to hook up your PS2 via Component cables, and play a few PS1 games like that. If it handles the signals ok I think it will be ok. On my LCD for some reason when I play a PS1 game on the PS2 with the component cables, it has major video issues.

So if your PS2 is set up like that it might be a good test for you. Otherwise I am not sure how to tell if your TV can handle it or not. I have heard that most can, and I am still tempted to try mine to see what happens. I might just have some sort of issue with the PS2 and/or the PS1 game and not the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ico is a PS2 game that runs at 240p, so you can use it to test as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is anyone running their classic consoles through an RGB/SCART to HDMI converter or VGA box?

I have seriously been thinking of getting a VGA box for my Dreamcast. It's too bad the official box is so expensive though, I knew I should have picked one up when they were on the clearance rack a decade ago. I just didn't see the need at the time to hook the Dreamcast up to my 17" computer monitor. But now that many LCD TV's (including my own) have a VGA input on the back, I wish I had.

Anyone try the cheap $19.99 Chinese knock-off VGA box for the Dreamcast? Quality and picture seem pretty good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Is anyone running their classic consoles through an RGB/SCART to HDMI converter or VGA box?

I have seriously been thinking of getting a VGA box for my Dreamcast. It's too bad the official box is so expensive though, I knew I should have picked one up when they were on the clearance rack a decade ago. I just didn't see the need at the time to hook the Dreamcast up to my 17" computer monitor. But now that many LCD TV's (including my own) have a VGA input on the back, I wish I had.

Anyone try the cheap $19.99 Chinese knock-off VGA box for the Dreamcast? Quality and picture seem pretty good?
    do you think the hdmi converter might give better quality then the component one? or they should be about the same?

Also, will it make any difference if I plug the component out from the converter to my receiver (my receiver channels everything hooked up to it to my TV via 1 hdmi cable) or I should just hook it up straight to the tv.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavica View Post
    do you think the hdmi converter might give better quality then the component one? or they should be about the same?
    Its not really going to give any real quality improvement unless your component input on your tv or receiver is terrible or something. RGB->YUV/YPbPr transcoding is a very simple process, and if you already having something doing the analog to digital conversion you don't need a second thing doing that.

Direct to the TV helps if you are playing games that require very strict timing on things (shmups or fighting games on a high level - the more things in between the console and it being displayed, the more delay from processing that signal), but if you've been ok so far with your current setup, I wouldn't complicate the backside of your entertainment center =)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can also test 240p support with your wii - some emulators will output 240p, as well as virtual console titles like ones from the NES (I don't remember if you need to test with your wii output set to progressive scan or not - try both!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. so far all of my Wii Virtual Console games have worked fine, with component video and progressive scan. Now I am really tempted to hook up the Genesis and component converter to the LCD to see just what happens.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the better choice for the Saturn: composite or s-video? I av cable for my saturn and one for a saturn I'm planning on selling. I'm thinking about the s-video for me, but I'm feeling cheap at the moment. I could probably get two composite cables for the price of s-video. I'm wondering if composite is enough for that system. I doubt there is a component or vga cable for that system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there are component or VGA for the Saturn, but there is RGB. I'd keep the S-Video cable for the Saturn, should provide a MUCH better picture over the composite cable.

Or if you don't want it sell it to me ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you want s-video for anything more recent than a NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really a problem with all this is that, with most TV's that a majority of us are gaming on we have two options, RF and Composite - so naturally Composite always wins. Hell I gamed on a TV for YEARS with only an RF connection on the back.

You have to remember, back in the good old days when I was playing NES and Genesis in my bedroom on my 19" TV (which was big), RF was it! So when composite connections were more common on TV's it was like "WOW LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE over RF!" and many of us never looked back.

Now decades later were are going "Whoa, there's other stuff on the back of this TV" and realizing that hey composite is no good anymore.

So naturally, all of us classic gamers that grew up on the old stuff are like "HELL YEAH MAD TECHNOLOGY YO', HDMI COMPONENT RGB STUFFS!!" Because it's like a whole new world for us to explore.

Younger gamers might be thinking.. "WTF is up with these old gamers still using RF and Composite??" Didn't they know they could hook up COMPONENT RGB to that Genesis? SHEESH. Amateurs.

I hope you liked my story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when you had to go out of your way to buy a TV that had anything but RF.

In 1990, I specifically bought a 20" TV which had s-video inputs to use with my laserdisc player. Strangely, I never thought to connect my SNES to it.

I did, however, play around with using my Apple IIc monitor for my SNES. It had composite input only, but it had much higher resolution than my TV.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I don't think the VCS or other systems like the Intellivision or even the Colecovision was even built for Composite Video in mind
    On the contrary, the VCS video chip outputs separated chroma and luma (aka S-Video), the Intellivision video chip outputs composite video, and the Colecovision video chip outputs component video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oldskool, let us if you plug your genny to your lcd and how it looks

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ponyponypony's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TW0 0F SPADES

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    I use RF where possible. I love RF on the Sega Genesis.

hell, I used RF on playstation saturn and dreamcast for like 2 years. Everyone makes fun of RF. I think it's pretty damned fine lol.

I like it better daisy-chaining seven systems via RF modulators more than I do buying a video switcher and having to figure out which system is on which number. Our current setup is impossible to navigate without the TV, receiver, and VCR (Yes, I still have one. VHS tapes make me nostalgic) remotes.

Channel 3 FTW.