Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechargeable batteries on classic handhelds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rechargeable batteries on classic handhelds?

I couldn’t find a thread exactly like this and wondered if anyone had any experience with the following rechargeable batteries on either Nomad or Turbo Express:

Sanyo Eneloop AAA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries
    http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-eneloop-...&s=electronics

E8GE 1000 Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Battery with ABT
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002UWLIUM

I hate using a/c adapters and would love to either buy one of these if they’re reliable or if you have any other recommendations that would be sweet, thanks.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Those are some awfully cheap batteries, they don't even say how many mAh they provide. That's the number you're looking for with these things. look for something with around 2500mAh or so, otherwise they'll die far too fast... I'd recommend spending a little more for a better product. With NiMH, you really do get what you pay for. Specifically, I'd recommend this charger, which comes with batteries. I've had one of these for a while now, and it works great. Far better than the terrible charger I originally had, and it has a "refresh" function that actually managed to bring some of my older batteries back to life.

Even with the best batteries, you're probably still only looking at about a 6-hour life span in a Nomad.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The Sanyo ones you linked to are AAA, you want AA. Other than that, I can't speak for a particular brand but I use NiMH's in my Nomad without any problem. Just find whatever you can with the highest mAh rating. The fact that they are 1.2V instead of 1.5V isn't a problem since alkalines die linearly and average out to 1.2V anyways while NiMH's deliver a pretty even 1.2V.

One thing to keep in mind though. Don't play them untill the Nomad dies. Because of each battery being slightly different, each one will discharge at a slightly different rate. If one dies before the others (pretty likely) then the others will give it a reverse charge and ruin it in the process. For this reason you should also match mAh and even the brand to keep the discharge rates as close as possible.
    Last edited by jb143; 06-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Eneloops are great. They hold their charge longer than others if you are going to let them sit without use for a few months. However, if you are going to plow through the batteries quickly, other batteries will probably give you a bit more play time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

I used NiMH batteries in my TurboExpress and when they started to get low on power, some really weird stuff started happening... level glitching in Super Star Soldier that would loop the level with no enemies or final boss for example.

Fact of the matter is: battery technology sucks.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I use NiMH rechargeable batteries, 2200 MAHours. No problem.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post

Even with the best batteries, you're probably still only looking at about a 6-hour life span in a Nomad.

--Zero
    Shhhh.. I wish. My Nomad has the modern LCD screen in it which provides a better image quality, AND better battery life. And I'd still be happy to get 2 hours out of it. Of course my batteries are a few years old now, but they are 2500mAh batteries. Only way to get near that (and still not 6 hours), is to have Jonjandran mod your battery pack with a lithium ion battery. Then you might get 4 or so.

Since we are on the subject of rechargeable batteries, stay away from the AA lithium ion batteries, they provide the wrong voltage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

You could probally rig up a D battery pack with a belt clip and get 6+ hours out of it, but at that point you might as well use an AC adaptor.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sanyo Eneloops are the best NIMH battery on the market. I use them in all of my controllers that use batteries, but none of them are classic. I use them in Wiimotes as well as my Wavebird. I just always charge them when the Wiimote battery indicator is at 2 bars, and I charge the Wavebird ones after 10 hours (or so) of use.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question. I have a Super Micro and it says to plug in 1.5V batteries (AA) in it. Can I use NiMH batteries that are 1.2V? Can the system handle it without exploding or anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
    I have a question. I have a Super Micro and it says to plug in 1.5V batteries (AA) in it. Can I use NiMH batteries that are 1.2V? Can the system handle it without exploding or anything?
    How many does it use? It's going to depend on that and whatever internal voltage regulation it might use.

But in general though it shouldn't matter. If you look at my previous post I mention that alkalines average out to 1.2V anyways and go even lower long before they die while NiMH's deliver a pretty constant 1.2V durring their discharge cycle.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It uses four batteries. So, is it safe?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My girlfriend bought a set of Sanyo Enelops, haven't found anything wrong with them, although playing on a GameBoy Color doesn't really tell the story of how they'd do on a battery monster like the Lynx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
    It uses four batteries. So, is it safe?
    Yup, game on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    My girlfriend bought a set of Sanyo Enelops, haven't found anything wrong with them, although playing on a GameBoy Color doesn't really tell the story of how they'd do on a battery monster like the Lynx.
    Yeah I don't think ANYTHING works well on the Lynx, Nomad, Game Gear, and Turbo Express. They are ALL battery hogs from hell.

It's amazing how far handheld battery life has gotten. My DS Lite amazes me sometimes, seems like it goes FOREVER! Hell, any Nintendo handheld has always had good battery life. Even the original Gameboy Classic (Good life for back then anyways, but still not too bad).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. It works without any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Those are some awfully cheap batteries, they don't even say how many mAh they provide. That's the number you're looking for with these things. look for something with around 2500mAh or so, otherwise they'll die far too fast... I'd recommend spending a little more for a better product. With NiMH, you really do get what you pay for. Specifically, I'd recommend this charger, which comes with batteries. I've had one of these for a while now, and it works great. Far better than the terrible charger I originally had, and it has a "refresh" function that actually managed to bring some of my older batteries back to life.

--Zero
    Wow that looks like a hell of a charger you linked there. I might have to pick one of those up. I like the features.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yeah I don't think ANYTHING works well on the Lynx, Nomad, Game Gear, and Turbo Express. They are ALL battery hogs from hell.

It's amazing how far handheld battery life has gotten. My DS Lite amazes me sometimes, seems like it goes FOREVER! Hell, any Nintendo handheld has always had good battery life. Even the original Gameboy Classic (Good life for back then anyways, but still not too bad).
    I never owned a Turbo Express but I had all the other handhelds of the era.

I always got excellent battery life on my Lynx II. It seemed like I could play forever (compared to the other color handhelds of the time). On a fresh set of batteries I would guess I got 4 or 5 hours.

I played a TON of Shining Force on my Game Gear back in the day during school. I know I would usually get about 2 hours on a fresh set of batteries.

Then there was the Nomad. This sucker was like an M1 Abrams Tank. BAD ASS but only got like 3 miles to the gallon... ! I took Phantasy Star 4 with me everywhere back in 99' and even on a fresh set of batteries I'm not sure I ever got more than 1 and a half hours. At the time I always had a batch of Renewal batteries charging by my bed. I felt horrible for how many Alkaline batteries I was eating up and throwing away.

I have wanted to do a battery life test with my Energizer 2500 mAh NiMH batteries for a while. I'll give them a fresh charge and see what kind of life I get on my Nomad, Game Gear, and then Lynx.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So of all the handhelds that went up against the GameBoy B&W directly, the Lynx II is most viable due to not having utterly terrible battery life? (4-5 hours sounds like PSP territory).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're looking to power a Game Gear, buy one of the official battery packs at a flea market/thrift store/internet for cheap (since they're ALL dead by now). Open 'er up and you'll see that the actual battery is literally the same as a RC car battery. Buy one of those from Rat Shack or wherever, do a bit of easy cable splicing (as the connectors are actually different), and badda-bing: you now have a battery pack which outlasts pretty much any set of AAs. To charge it, just use a Model 2 Genny power supply.
    This is also a good way of powering the Nomad, as it doesn't have an internal battery compartment and the official compartment is hard to find. Before I heard of this trick, I built my own Nomad battery pack out of Rat Shack parts, NiMH batteries, and some rubber bands to hold it in place above the cartridge. It made my Nomad look like an IED bomb .