Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E3 2010: Sony Press Conference Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Twisted Metal = Sold.

I also really liked that Sorcerer game for Move, I can see myself honestly playing that one. Tiger Woods also worked fairly well.

I agree that I also wish they would have shown more on DC Universe Online as I consider it a key game atm for me. Kinda makes me wonder and worry. I really like the concept but at this point i'm worried that the execution may not have enough content or something is wrong with it since they didn't show anything.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorcerer looks like some kind of tech demo that SCE USA cooked up (the crappy framerate reminds me of EQ2...). It's nothing that the Wii can't do, and the changing colors on the controller might get distracting. At $39.95, I can't really complain that much, but it doesn't strike me as the killer app for Move. Show me Elder Scrolls V with PS Move and I'll be interested. Heck, I wouldn't have minded seeing an Eye Pet demo onstage.

I've never played Twisted Metal, but I must admit that it looks like a fun multiplayer game. I wouldn't buy it at launch price, but it looks interesting enough to keep in mind.

The Ico rumors were false, and instead we get Sly Cooper. Was that even any good? I'm also surprised at Not Another Preteen Platformer (whatever they called it...). Sony is definitely pushing the mass market with those characters, who have occupied the Greatest Hits rack at Target since PS2 launch. There was nothing whatsoever to show that Sony cares about niche games, and there was a definite skew toward "big, American, manly" games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Thank god we've got Kevin Butler making all the important decisions these days.
    Kevin Butler is awesome and all, but the portion of the E3 press conference that he was stupid. It wasn't funny, and it was a waste of time that Sony could have put forth towards presenting other games.

E3 was Kevin Butlers worse performance yet. And yes. I'm aware that E3 was a live event.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Sony announced some decent games. Twisted Metal is a must! I am glad that their base online gaming will still be free. The move looks like a retarded flight control wand. Bottom line is that their is enough to be happy about, but for me the whole move controller is a negative.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Sony announced some decent games. Twisted Metal is a must! I am glad that their base online gaming will still be free. The move looks like a retarded flight control wand. Bottom line is that their is enough to be happy about, but for me the whole move controller is a negative.
    Ding!

I've held off on buying a PS3 to date (own a 360 / Wii though) but it is to the point where I need one now. I want to play games like God of War 3, 3D Dot Heroes, Little Big Planet, etc. but the collector in me wants to hunt and find a backwards compatible PS3 for under $200. Of course I just missed on on the local CL last week for $100 (Damn).

BUT, if I still don't have a PS3 when Twisted Metal comes out, I will pay full price for a PS3 system and full price for the TM game. TM2 is definitely in my favorite games all time, absolutely love the series.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    E3 was Kevin Butlers worse performance yet. And yes.
    Kevin Butler doesn't perform, he's a character. Jerry Lambert does.

Why does he need a stage name? Is Jerry Lambert not manly enough for Sony's marketing campaign?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, liked Kevin Butler.

Sony seems to have glosed over multi-platform titles - and GT5.

Nothing came across as new at the Sony conference, accept maybe the Move stuff, but I wasn't disappointed...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Kevin Butler doesn't perform, he's a character. Jerry Lambert does.
    Maybe I should have said his performance at E3 was his worse performance as Kevin Butler. I didn't know his name though anyways.

Also. I just watched Sony's entire E3 press conference last night on the Playstation Home because I didn't want to watch it in small bits and pieces on Youtube so watched the full thing there. I think the press conference sucked. Most of the time it was speaking about 3d technology which I really don't care about. Then a long time showing off Killzone 3. There was the move which I still wasn't interested in after they showed off their games. I'll pick it up when it goes on sale for the entire package, but it's a novelty item and nothing more. Medal of Honor, generic fps #30473 comes with an HD version of Medal of Honor Frontline, generic fps #10112. Woopty doo. They spent at least five minutes promoting a deal with Coke to sell the Move. After all the crap. PSP getting a lot of support until the end of this year and showing some good games(in the trailer only) and then Twisted Metal.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I completely disagree about the Kevin Butler spot.

I thought it was pretty hysterical and well delivered ... IMO he's the coolest video game executive that isn't really a video game executive.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for fictional video game executives since I was portraying one years before Sony dreamt up Mr. Butler.

But, if nobody told you that he WASN'T really an executive employee of Sony, or any game company for that matter ... couldn't you believe that he was?

With the cast of REAL "characters" out there like Gabe Newell, Major Nelson, Reggie, Kojima, etc. etc. he fits right in. He's basically spouting the stuff tongue-in-cheek that the rest of the bunch try to spew with saccharin sincerity each and every E3, and I find it much more fun watching him do it.

For anybody who missed it, here's his speech. Worth a look.

http://kotaku.com/5565366/kevin-butl...er-inspiration
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I knew he was an actor only because I recognized him from Everybody Loves Raymond but I didn't know that his name wasn't actually Kevin Butler.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I knew he was an actor only because I recognized him from Everybody Loves Raymond but I didn't know that his name wasn't actually Kevin Butler.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    For anybody who missed it, here's his speech. Worth a look.

http://kotaku.com/5565366/kevin-butl...er-inspiration
    That was pretty good. I must point out something "Kevin" said near the end:

"Every gamer is a true gamer. Motion gamers, sitting gamers...everyone."

I hope that puts an end to the stupid hardcore vs. casual debate.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I tend to play more games on Sony platforms, this year's E3 has reinforced my greater respect for Nintendo. The faces of Nintendo (Fils-Aime, Iwata, and Miyamoto) are sincere, concise, and sympathetic to the gamer and non-gamer. They're not actors, but they know how to work on stage. Miyamoto is a bit more reserved than the others, but Sony could stand to learn from his subdued presence.

Kevin Butler works well for an ad or two, but I don't think he's good for the long term. Having him give a monologue on stage at E3 is nice to reinforce the campaign, but hearing him reach out to causal gamers is awkward. Casual gamers are not enthusiasts, so an enthusiast icon isn't the right person to claim otherwise.

I'm actually pretty turned off to Sony's brand image now. Their press conference reeked of testosterone and elitism. Microsoft fared a little better, but they seemed to drift toward the extreems of hardcore and casual. Nintendo just wants to have fun, and if I'm not mistaken, that's what gaming is about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to hear about a new Twisted Metal game, but Sony didn't do much else to change my lack of interest in the PS3.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Kevin Butler works well for an ad or two, but I don't think he's good for the long term. Having him give a monologue on stage at E3 is nice to reinforce the campaign, but hearing him reach out to causal gamers is awkward. Casual gamers are not enthusiasts, so an enthusiast icon isn't the right person to claim otherwise.
    It's hard to do that with anybody under Sony's umbrella though. Kevin Butler is at least recognizable from all the fun commercials. But Sony doesn't have a Miyamoto equivalent, who is the closest thing to the Walt Disney of the video game industry. I think they did the best they could with what they had to work with. I think what made Sony's event awkward wasn't Kevin Butler or even the games they presented. It's that it's really hard to not sound silly when you're so obviously biting off of something Nintendo did and simultaneously claiming "the future!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This may be a little late on the subject, but it hasn't been asked. I noticed that some gaming sites were saying that games like the upcoming Killzone 3 will run in "native 3D". What does that mean? Does it mean that I HAVE to buy a 3DTV in order to play it? Or can I still play it on whatever TV I have? I know it sounds dumb, but it's a legitimate concern from me. I don't even have an HDTV, and now they are wanting people to get 3DTV's? No thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You'll need a 3D TV. It pretty much requires a TV that can run 120fps and can synchronize with shutter glasses. It's not absurdly complicated technology but it isn't something that can be done with ordinary HD TVs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll need a 3D TV. It pretty much requires a TV that can run 120fps and can synchronize with shutter glasses.
    Wow if that's true, then Sony has really jumped the shark here. I would think that because so many people don't have 3D sets, they would at least make the game playable without it...it would be foolish not to do so. They are basically shooting themselves in the foot with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

You'll need a 3D TV. It pretty much requires a TV that can run 120fps and can synchronize with shutter glasses. It's not absurdly complicated technology but it isn't something that can be done with ordinary HD TVs.
    Actually, all 3-D TV's (I've seen) are 240hz.

120FPS per eye.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You'll need a 3D TV to play the game in 3D. It will work fine as well on a 2D set, without the 3D effect, of course. All "Native 3D" means is that the content was designed to be 3D to begin with and wasn't converted into 3D from a 2D source.