Thread: 3DO Dilemma.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO Dilemma.

I recently (just a few minutes ago, in fact) purchased a GoldStar 3DO at a yard sale. It came with a controller, several (badly scratched) games, and A/V cables.
    It works almost perfectly.
    The games, however, do not.
    It's rather sad, because I have a lot of very good ones. Road Rash and The Need for Speed, to name a few.
    Unfortunately, the damn thing spits them back out as soon as I try to play them. I know it's not the machine, because my brother can play his near-mint copy of The Incredible Machine on the thing just fine.
    So! I'm wondering. Is it possible to burn ROMs of 3DO games onto a CD, and have the 3DO recognize and play them?
    I need to do this, because very few of my present games will play.
    Keep in mind, this is the GoldStar model 3DO. Looks nice, but has a few minor compatibility issues, according to Wikipedia.
    So, can it be done? I imagine it can, but what kind of software do I need?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried buffing the discs? You might get them to play that way. Don't know about playing burned discs on a 3DO but I've never heard of it.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It can be done but that model is very picky about playing CD-Rs. Make sure the disc you use are a good brand, and a easy way to test if the disc you buy will play in your 3DO is to burn music first and see if it plays. IMGburn is free and can work to burn 3DO games. I hope your patient because you are going to make a lot of coasters.

Your location says FM Towns, if you have a FM towns its just as picky.
    Last edited by pepharytheworm; 06-26-2010 at 12:24 PM.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3DO's are some of the most burn happy consoles out there! Now, I have heard that anything but the Panasonic models are a bit pickier and finnicky with them however. Supposedly the Panasonics have the best lasers. If you are just burning backups for the games you already own, I can understand that. Also, keep in mind that a lot of DVD rental and used game stores will re-surface your disc for 3-5 dollars each usually. PM ME I can try to help you if you wanna play some Road Rash or Need For Speed (who doesn't?). I am a big 3DO fan myself.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 06-26-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

id still get the discs buffed. a lot of mom n pop stores have disc buffing machines these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Have you tried buffing the discs? You might get them to play that way.
    I have, used this weird resurfacing gel I got at the hard-ware store. The disc looks a little better, but it still doesn't play consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by pepharytheworm View Post
    It can be done but that model is very picky about playing CD-Rs. Make sure the disc you use are a good brand, and a easy way to test if the disc you buy will play in your 3DO is to burn music first and see if it plays. IMGburn is free and can work to burn 3DO games. I hope your patient because you are going to make a lot of coasters.

Your location says FM Towns, if you have a FM towns its just as picky.
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip. What brand do you recommend?
    Also, I don't actually have an FM Towns, I just put that there for a laugh.
    I guess older CD players are pretty finicky about this kinda stuff, though. I have an old 1980s component CD player that refuses to play any of my burned game music discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    3DO's are some of the most burn happy consoles out there! Now, I have heard that anything but the Panasonic models are a bit pickier and finnicky with them however. Supposedly the Panasonics have the best lasers. If you are just burning backups for the games you already own, I can understand that. Also, keep in mind that a lot of DVD rental and used game stores will re-surface your disc for 3-5 dollars each usually. PM ME I can try to help you. I am a big 3DO fan myself.
    I'll keep that in mind, if worse comes to worse, thanks for the tip.
    I am kinda desperate, the only games I have that work right now are The Incredible Machine and BC Racers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I don't know if I am allowed to give you the extreme details on how to do it, where to find them and all that - might be against the rules. That's why I say if you need help PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have the Goldstar unit myself but a friend told me he got Phillips, Verbatim, and Taiyo Yuden brands to work the most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On mine I just use the cheap TDK discs, but then again this is the TANK FZ-1. So results may vary on the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On mine I just use the cheap TDK discs, but then again this is the TANK FZ-1. So results may vary on the others.
    I haven't had any disc fail on the FZ-1 or FZ-10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I don't know if I am allowed to give you the extreme details on how to do it, where to find them and all that - might be against the rules. That's why I say if you need help PM me.
    That's okay, I'm sure me and my brother can figure it out, but if I need help I'll contact you.
    We're burning a music CD on some Maxell discs, we'll see if it works in a few minutes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you havnt tried Turtle wax yet...Give it a go. All of my discs that were bad, work as good as new with a coating of turtle wax on them and then wiped off [with a lint free cloth]. The wax makes the disc far shinier, so that they are easier for the devices to read...And it works almost all of the time, and can save you a few bucks [and time if you have Turtle wax already].

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have thought about using some auto wax myself. Does it help remove the scratches too, or just shine it up real good?
    Last edited by Oldskool; 06-27-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... I'll have to try that. Anyway, we've backed up *cough* a few of the titles that came with the system, and everything works fine. I might just get the original discs resurfaced by the pros down at the local record store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Auto-Fox View Post
    Hmm... I'll have to try that. Anyway, we've backed up *cough* a few of the titles that came with the system, and everything works fine. I might just get the original discs resurfaced by the pros down at the local record store.
    Good glad to hear it. I doubt anyone would give you too much flack over "backing up" 3DO titles, not like any of the original 3DO developers are getting any $$$ from 3DO titles anymore and personally I would not feel bad about NOT buying said titles from Ebay or used gaming outlets. But that's me.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Auto-Fox View Post
    Yeah, I don't see much sense in paying to get them re-surfaced if you have "backups" that are working just fine. Unless you want to preserve their value (which is not much at all in most cases).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have thought about using some auto max myself. Does it help remove the scratches too, or just shine it up real good?
    It does seem to 'hide' the majority of scratches on a disc, so a heavily scratched CD will look barely scratched after waxing it. Im no expert on it, it may buff the disc to an extent and thats why some of the scratches seem to disapear. As far as shining goes, it definately does the trick on that end. I just know that it works nearly everytime.