Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    So Mega Man Legends and Metroid Prime were horrible, but Super Mario 64 was awesome. Thanks for the truth!
    Now it's fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure I like the 3D Zeldas but I REALLY would prefer a new 3/4 perspective Zelda ala LTTP/Links Awakening/4-Swords. The last one was Minish Cap and that was another sub-par Capcom offering. And of course GC 4-Swords was a total tease

I would love to see a new Nintendo-developed 3/4 version on the 3DS but alas I doubt that will ever happen.. it'll be Zelda 64 and then probably another 3D one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    So Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Metroid Prime were horrible, but Mega Man Legends was awesome. Thanks for the good laugh!
    Mario 64 was boring and clumsy. The way I prefer to play Mario (like a sonic game) wasn't really possible, and I got tired of it. Sonic Adventure kept the fast paced crap when it transitioned to 3D. Before that, Crash Bandicoot, etc. on playstation provided faster paced platforming like I hoped Mario would have had. I'm one of those people that plays Mario games with the dash button held down most of the time.

Metroid Prime lost all of the Metroid charm. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't worth waiting for like a decade after Super Metroid to get that game. The new metroid coming out will probably finally fix things. Not having infinispacejump, and screw attack alone made it a bummer. Cheesy FPS platform jumps made it worse. Then you just auto-lock onto enemies, smash the button in, and win. Sleepy time.

Ocarina of Time always sucked. Ever since the day we all got the stupid game and put it in our N64s. You've got the fairy going HEY LISTEN, it spoon feeds you what to do, you're a whiney mongoloid half the time, and a majority of the dungeons are uninspiring and boring. Zelda has gotten worse since. Wind Waker might have been alright if it wasn't cel-shaded and obnoxious looking.... Majora is a no-go, and Twilight Princess may be the easiest Zelda game ever made. I had to restart the game and die once just to see what dying looked like, because I beat it without dying.

I did like some of the boss battles though. It's the best of the 3D zeldas, but its too goddamn easy.

Mega Man legends had cartoony action, funny characters, smooth gameplay (sometimes the camera sucked, but what else is new), and pretty unique power ups. Those skates were neat.

and it pretty successfully added RPG elements to an action game.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In terms of retaining what was established by prior titles, Sonic Adventure and Mega Man Legends were pretty big failures (that's not to say they were even aiming for that goal, though). I mean, they basically give it away right in the titles with key words like "Adventure" and "Legends". Those words just about always mean that the game in question is leaning more towards the adventure/RPG end of the spectrum rather than the straight action through and through of the earlier Mega Man and Sonic games. In Legends case, though, they were basically forced to develop the game by Sony, and they never intended for it to be a part of the main or X series. There's no argument to be made in favor or against the idea that it ruined anything.

With Sonic Adventure, well, I think it was a bit of a mistake myself. I think it's dumb that there's a whole city full of people to talk to and such and that you have to locate the stages. And even when you get to a legitimate action stage, there's not much "action". Just wide expanses to hold up through as you look at the fancy-shmancy Dreamcast graphics, running past all enemies and hazards with ease if you please. I think Sega realized they took the "adventure" aspect way too far, so that's why SA2 is a much more structured game (although the Knuckles and Rouge stages are bloody awful).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Mega Man Legends was great, and I'm not even a Mega Man fan. But when someone says Mega Man sucked in 3D I don't think of Legends, I think of X7, which was garbage.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My initial impressions of Super Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII when they came out were that they were horribly ugly games (polygon counts just weren't high enough to render humanoid characters halfway decently) and I they totally didn't interest me. It took me 8 or 9 years to finally give them a decent chance, and now I think they're among the best games in their respective franchises.

Nobody has mentioned Worms yet (unless I missed it, which is very possible). There's a series where 3D was enough of a failure that the newer games in the series are all 2D! If only that would happen more often!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the whole "open world" aspect of SA, you could go and fuck around in all sorts of areas in the game. Having it change depending on which character you used was also kind of cool. I always wanted a "true" sequel (SA2 was okay but it had a bunch of changes from the first) but then I got Sonic 06, so I can see why so many people didn't like Adventure.

I'm literally the only person in the world who enjoyed Worms 3D, I'm sure of it.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post

It seems like Nintendo sucks at going to 3D.

And that is very true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    With Sonic Adventure, well, I think it was a bit of a mistake myself. I think it's dumb that there's a whole city full of people to talk to and such and that you have to locate the stages. And even when you get to a legitimate action stage, there's not much "action". Just wide expanses to hold up through as you look at the fancy-shmancy Dreamcast graphics, running past all enemies and hazards with ease if you please. I think Sega realized they took the "adventure" aspect way too far, so that's why SA2 is a much more structured game (although the Knuckles and Rouge stages are bloody awful).
    Sonic Adventure was still a pretty solid launch-Dreamcast game. The PS2 launch games weren't so hot, lol.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't remeber anyone saying it but if I missed it sorry. Pac-Man, is not even close to the same game 3D, Mario at least has some semblence to other Mario titles. The Pac-Man World games aren't really terrible but compared to the originals they can't compare. Granted he did start wanning before 3D with adventure and platform games.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    and I thought of something funny, Spyro in 2D sucked. Some games are just meant to stay in their original perspective I guess.

WUT?!?

When has Spyro EVER been in 2D? GBA? Even then those over the top still gave the semblance of 3D. Those were 2Dish only due to system limitations of the handheld they were on.

If you're referencing later titles that were cross platformed, thats again not a fair comparison as system limitations come into play. I'd not expect a perfect port of a 360 title on my DS.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if any one mentioned heroes of might and magic series kinda turned to garbage when it hit 3d. I.E Heroes 5.
    Retro is king

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a Jag owner, I know this, Just liked the CD music on PSX better.
    Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    I hate to burst bubbles here, but Rayman on the Playstation was a port, as was the Saturn release which was superior even to the Playstation version. In order to play the original Rayman with all of the animation frames and all of the parallax scrolling, you need to play it on the Jaguar, the system the game was developed on originally. You all might not like that this is true, but it is. Rayman was a Jaguar game from the beginning, period.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice . . . . . . wait . . . no you're not getting the point. The point is diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    The important thing is to make sequels exactly like the original, because new things are scary and I don't like things that are different.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania on N64 was decent, true.

Metroid Prime was a good.

Megaman Legends though, was very good for its time and still plays well actually.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Except most of these games were good in 3d.

For Mega Man it was 2d titles that ruined the series. Zero 2, 3, 4, and the EXE series. Although that's opinion as the EXE series has a pretty big fanbase seeing how they've come out with around 10 games for it.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parker311 View Post
    Nice . . . . . . wait . . . no you're not getting the point. The point is diversity.
    Not so fast... Sonic is the diversity poster-boy. Diversity in this context, is a pleasant way of saying, "Clusterfrak".

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives