Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mario 64 for sure and Missile Command 3D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    It amazes me the amount of people who bad mouth the current generation of games. Games didn't get any worse, you just got old and became an artifact. Some people evolve with technology and others try to shun it because they can only handle an A and B button before their brain explodes.
    Well, that's something for you to look forward to then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Mario 64 for sure and Missile Command 3D
    Really, Mario 64 killed the Mario franchise? Let me see, best selling game for the N64, inspired other companies, and was fun to boot. Thanks to the success of Mario 64, we now have Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2, VERY, VERY highly rated games as well. I love 2D Mario games just as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to go overboard and call the transitional 2D-3D Mario game, a game that killed the franchise. It boosted it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wolfenstein 3d as well, I always preferred the first two games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It amazes me the amount of people who bad mouth the current generation of games. Games didn't get any worse, you just got old and became an artifact. Some people evolve with technology and others try to shun it because they can only handle an A and B button before their brain explodes.
    8-bit and 16-bit sports games are arguably more fun than Xbox 360 and PS3 sports games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Really, Mario 64 killed the Mario franchise? Let me see, best selling game for the N64, inspired other companies, and was fun to boot.
    Everything in this thread is opinion only, but I for one have always thought Mario 64 sucked. It's got one of the worst cameras in gaming history, every level is incredibly small and the only reason it has any replay value is because you're going back through the same levels over and over again either collecting 100 coins, getting the red coins, or stomping on a specific spot to recover a star, etc.

A collectathon with a terrible camera.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It must be the hip thing to assume that because someone doesn't like 3D game "A" that all they do is hate every single 3D game ever made.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    How about Ultima? Ultima IX was a travesty. I did like Underworld, but that doesn't really count.
    I'd say that Ultima IX's 3D graphics were probably the best part of the game. The problems with the game went far, far deeper than it's presentation.

--Zero

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Punch Out
    Alien Crush
    R-Type
    Thunder Force
    Splatterhouse, if it ever comes out
    Kid Icarus
    Final Fantasy
    Dragon Warrior
    Phantasy Star
    Warcraft
    Command & Conquer
    Okay, so you're complaining about a bunch of games where the 3D is completely irrelevant, and other games that haven't even been released yet? Way to be a huge whiner.

I can understand people not liking Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time... the gameplay was changed enough that I can accept that as a matter of preference... but how did Punch-Out Wii "ruin" the franchise by being in 3D?

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    How about Ultima? Ultima IX was a travesty. I did like Underworld, but that doesn't really count.

Also, Golden Axe.
    The 3D aspect isn't what ruined Ultima IX, seriously.

Ultima VIII was just as big a pile of shit. If EA hadn't been all herpy derpderp about Ultima (rushing the game, allowing buggy shit to get sold, cutting stuff), then 8 and 9 would have been just as good as the rest.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Adventure is a real hassle to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    Sonic Adventure is a real hassle to play.
    You can't really consider that game a franchise-ruiner. It was heralded at the time and was seen as a welcome update to a franchise which, at that time, was already languishing through the Saturn years.

I think Bubsy 3D is a fine example of a 2D to 3D conversion which tanked the entire franchise.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Okay, so you're complaining about a bunch of games where the 3D is completely irrelevant, and other games that haven't even been released yet? Way to be a huge whiner.

I can understand people not liking Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time... the gameplay was changed enough that I can accept that as a matter of preference... but how did Punch-Out Wii "ruin" the franchise by being in 3D?

--Zero
    It's just a matter of personal opinion. I am an Oldskool gamer, and it will always be that way. Nothing can beat the classics, for me. And I will never change.

Reason why I added games that aren't even out yet (Kid Icarus, Splatterhouse), is because I'm sure it will just follow the trend like the others and be no where near as good as the originals.

Not being a whiner, just stating my opinion that's all. Everyone has a right to their opinion. And Punch Out, well I just threw that up on the list to illicit a response, I have actually yet to play it and it does look pretty good - I'm sure though that when I do - I won't like it as much as I like the original.

Most of the games on my list I truly believe went to crap. Hell look at Rygar. Garbage. Prince of Persia, Garbage. It's all just a bunch of garbage. Sorry that's just my opinion.

Now I do have to admit, that some of the games going to 3D were "somewhat ruined", but not "definetely" ruined. I'd say half of those games on the list were actually decent in 3D. Just not as good.

Has anyone tried the new Blaster Master for Wiiware? I've been thinking about nabbing it as it looks like the traditional 2D style game just with better graphics. Would I be sorely dissapointed.. again?

I'm just a grumpy old gamer, what can I say?

... runs back to the game room and pops in some Super Metroid...
    Last edited by Oldskool; 06-28-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Splatterhouse, if it ever comes out
    Way to jump on the bandwagon. I've seen so many people slamming Splatterhouse after seeing a handful of screenshots or a video of the beta version displayed at E3, for example, and it's getting to the point where I just want to tell all of these self-styled critics to shove their opinions straight up their asses and shut the hell up until they've actually played the game. I've played it, can any of these "critics" say the same? Until they have, they're not even remotely qualified to say anything about it other than maybe "I don't like how it looks."

For that matter, I don't recall seeing a single negative comment from anyone that played the E3 demo. Hmmm.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been said time and time again, but Bubsy 3D was a franchise murderer at its worst. The original 2D adventures have gained a cult following of sorts, but everybody ALWAYS feel sick when playing that particular outing. The entire game felt like it was in its alpha stage, from the sickly controls to the highly bland and polygon based graphics.

In a way, Rayman was also ruined by the 3D transition. Everything went great up until Ubisoft decided to throw in the maniacal Rabbids. The original Raving Rabbids proved to be a neat little diversion from the typical Rayman outing, but then Ubisoft decided to take the worst plan of action. They completely annihilated Rayman as the star of the show, replacing him with the Rabbids in some more mediocre mini-game mashups. I even wrote a letter to Nintendo Power a year or so back about the issue, and it even got printed into the paper. I can't remember what volume, but Red Steel 2 was on the cover. Not that it matters- I'm glad Rayman's at least coming back for a short bit with Origins on the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Way to jump on the bandwagon. I've seen so many people slamming Splatterhouse after seeing a handful of screenshots or a video of the beta version displayed at E3, for example, and it's getting to the point where I just want to tell all of these self-styled critics to shove their opinions straight up their asses and shut the hell up until they've actually played the game. I've played it, can any of these "critics" say the same? Until they have, they're not even remotely qualified to say anything about it other than maybe "I don't like how it looks."

For that matter, I don't recall seeing a single negative comment from anyone that played the E3 demo. Hmmm.
    There is a Splatterhouse jumping bandwagon? I apparently had no idea of this. I am not a bandwagon jumping person, I base my own opinions from my own experience. Who knows, it might be the best game ever, but if history ever taught me a thing or two, it's that it probably won't be good.

No need to get personal and talk about shoving things up my ass. I'm not being hostile am I?

... runs back into the game room and pops in some Splatterhouse on the Turbografx...
    Last edited by Oldskool; 06-28-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

all the splatterhouse haters are morons.

and, sonic adventure was good stuff. I played the hell out of it on Dreamcast.

The whole game was just you flying around slamming into shit to power metal, lol. Whats the problem!

more action than Unsuper Mario 64
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    You can't really consider that game a franchise-ruiner. It was heralded at the time and was seen as a welcome update to a franchise which, at that time, was already languishing through the Saturn years.

I think Bubsy 3D is a fine example of a 2D to 3D conversion which tanked the entire franchise.
    I would say that Bubsy 2 ruined the franchise. What a pile of crap. Not that Bubsy 1 was all that great to begin with.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know me Ark, I am for sure not a Splatterhouse hater and that's the truth.

I have to admit, that the first Sonic Adventure was pretty good. I kind of think that after SA 2 that it just kind of went downhill from there.

As far as SMB64 goes. It *IS* a good game. Never said that it was not. It's just that, when I compare it to the classics it doesn't hold a candle. No Mario beats Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island and I don't care what anyone says. Maybe once I try out some Galaxy my opinion will change. I should rent it or something, give it a chance.

Maybe I am stuck in the 80's, maybe I am close minded. I don't give a crap. Give me 2D and sprites or give me death! haha

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    and, sonic adventure was good stuff. I played the hell out of it on Dreamcast.

The whole game was just you flying around slamming into shit to power metal, lol. Whats the problem!

more action than Unsuper Mario 64
    *cough* BIG THE CAT *cough*