Thread: NeoGeo CD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NeoGeo CD

I really want a cab, I do, but there was never much of an arcade community in Norway, and I strongly doubt that you can still buy cabs here.

Second, after a cab, I'd like the AES. Wayyyyy too expensive. I'm not even going to buy the console for the cheaper games, 'cause I know I'll eventually start spending crazy money on some of the (much) more expensive ones.

So, finally, there's the NeoGeo CD. I've heard all about the loading times etc., but I also heard that many games run perfectly fine and the loading times are normal. Which games would that be?

I already have Garou Mark of Wolves, The Last Blade 2, and King of Fighters '97-'00, so I don't really need any more KoF games.

Also, does the NeoGeo CD support RGB or S-Video?

Post your experiences with the NeoGeo CD here, and bring along some game recs, in case I really feel the urge to buy the NGCD.
    Last edited by Nico87; 07-02-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

The Neo CD is a great system. It seems that games made before '97 have tolerable loading times. After '97 the games seem to become too complex and have killer loading times. The games are fairly cheap to buy, too. Most go for $10 or less. Some games like Metal Slug, Pulstar and the like can run $60+

You didn't mention whether or not you checked out the consolized MVS setup.. you should look into that. MVS games are cheap, only kicker is the systems can be expensive $300+

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have, but I'm OCD when it comes to CIB stuff, so all my MVS games would have to be CIB, which is harder to find than CIB NeoGeo CD or AES games. It's also harder to find. I dunno yet, a Supergun will be a bit pricey, no matter what, and I can't build stuff for shit.

Am I correct in believing that there were only 50-something games released for the NGCD?

I COULD go for the AES system, and create some sort of SAW-like device that would make my head explode if I bid on or bought AES carts for more than $300 or whatever.
    Last edited by Nico87; 07-02-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been a little obsessed with Neo Geo lately...

The Neo Geo CD is great for the early games. As Woody mentioned, games are cheap and most have remixed CDDA soundtracks that are better than the MVS/AES audio. Some even add extra content & modes beyond the carts... Metal Slug 1 & 2 and Voltage Fighter have some neat extras on NGCD. There are a few decent NGCD exclusives too like Crossed Swords 2 and Ironclad ($$).

But, the NGCD was basically abandoned in 1996. A few of the most popular Neo Geo games were released on CD in 97 and 98 but they all had horrible load times. Fighting games that loaded character select screen, then loaded the pre-fight dialog, then loaded before every round of the fight. All at 1x. Horrible. I think the Metal Slug CDs even pause to load during some levels?

I had an AES briefly but sold it. There isn't much advantage to the AES over the NGCD unless you really want to spend $$$ collecting later carts. Only the early games are really affordable on AES and most are the same price or cheaper on NGCD. NGCD load times are tolerable for the early games.

MVS is definitely the best option for Neo Geo. Most games are cheap and easy to find. For loose carts you can buy shockboxes with inserts to put them in AES style packaging. Or, you can collect full original kits with the artwork, mini marquees, arcade op sheet, etc. Kits cost more than loose carts but they're still far cheaper than AES.

MVS also has the largest Neo Geo library. Only a subset was released for AES and even smaller subset for the NGCD. (NGCD had a few exclusives though - AES doesn't offer anything that isn't on MVS) There are pirate MVS multicarts too that let you sample a bunch of games on original hardware. I'm not a pirate, and still buy/collect the games that I want, but the multicarts are a convenient way to sample before buying or easily choose games from a menu without having to swap carts in my cab.

If you're able to build a PC from components, the Vogatek supergun is a cheap option that only requries basic PC type skills. There's no fancy case, it looks like a test bench setup... but it'll get you running MVS or any arcade PCBs. Cheap way to get started. You can build a complete 1 slot MVS Vogatek setup for $100-$150 depending on the components you choose. Consolized MVS systems or clean looking superguns cost MUCH more.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had a few looks at some consolized ones, and they aren't exactly cheap, no.

Guess I'll look a bit more into stuff, I'm not going to rush into anything.

MVS would be the preferred method price-wise, but I'm kinda stuck at the option of building one myself. No room for cabs, and there's none available in Norway. Consolized ones are very expensive, as mentioned above.