Thread: Crash Bandicoot is a great challenge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Crash Bandicoot is a great challenge

Fresh off of finishing 120% Spyro the Dragon, I started its cousin: Crash Bandicoot.

The first level made me wonder what was so special about this game. I have never really been a big fan of games like Sonic, where you collect rings just for the hell of it. That's what this first level felt like.

Then I got further into the game, realized what the instruction manual meant with the "gems" and now I am addicted.

Damn, this game is challenging. Trying to get the gems is sometimes frustrating, but never to the point where I want to give up on the game. At first, I was very annoyed with the controls. I read some reviews where the controls were claimed to be "spot on" and this made me laugh. I fell into the damn water so many times when trying to jump on a leaf, or bouncing off a box. Since then, I have realized that every single time I jump too far, or bounce off a box to my death, or spin off a ledge, it is totally my fault. The controls actually are rather well done. I think I was just used to Spyro's tight analog control. Crash is kind of "floaty".

I am on the third section of the game and the first time through each level I find myself holding my breath, as the levels are fairly difficult. After a few deaths, or when replaying the level (in a futile attempt to get the gem), the level is easier, as you know where to stand to avoid barrels, or how to time jumps. I have 8 gems, and there is one that I know for sure that I am missing (Sunset Vista).

This game truly deserves the praise it receives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

a great classic...loved it back in the day...still not bad today...its funny, my kids are so into crash games....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this the first one that you are playing? It gets insanely difficult much further in the game. I should try to give it another go sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The jumping and the perspective (certain levels like Temple Ruins and other levels like it with precision jumping) sometimes make the game more difficult that it should be. It's still a good game; haven't played it in 10 years though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That game wasn't that hard to me- I beat it when I was about 10 or 12 (can't remember). As far as the gems though, I wouldn't even bother back then. My only beef with the game is that the saving is incredibly limited, and it would have been nice to use an analog stick once in a while. The d-pad doesn't bother me too much, since I used to play free-roaming games (Gex, Spyro ect.) with the d-pad since we didn't know about the ones with analog sticks .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't try for the gems, no, the game doesn't seem difficult at all. You can get through any level using a handful of lives at worst, and the game hands out extra lives like candy. The gems are where the challenge lies.

Yes, this is the first game and my first time playing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I hated the first Crash Bandicoot, Cortex Strikes Back is where it's at tho.
    Last edited by exit; 07-05-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel kind of stupid. I came close to buying the sequel, but I watched some review online and the guy complained about how much they changed the characters. I went back and watched it again and he was actually complaining about the newer games for the PS2 and such. Oops.

I guess I will snag it after all.

I'm still going for all the gems here. I might have to punch myself in the testicles due to the frustration, but it will get done.