Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I had some posters framed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I wanted a big KLAX poster, but that does not seem to exist, so I painted one (with paint!). Sure it looks like something made by a kid in 7th grade, but it's mine..
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) EvilSlefo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    slefo

Quote Originally Posted by dnehthend View Post
    I think they came pretty out good, you can't even tell that I accidentally crinkled part of the ocarina of time poster 10 years ago

Very nice man! I actually was thinking about framing my Chrono Trigger inserts, as I don't see the point of keeping them tucked away in the box. You have justified my thoughts, so thank you.

Also, is there like a poster shop or store to get your posters from? or was it gotten through getting CIB games? let me know...like to do the same =)
    "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have @ you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool! I've done a couple myself, granted I haven't hung any of them up yet (large images incoming DUCK!).

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSlefo View Post
    Very nice man! I actually was thinking about framing my Chrono Trigger inserts, as I don't see the point of keeping them tucked away in the box. You have justified my thoughts, so thank you.

Also, is there like a poster shop or store to get your posters from? or was it gotten through getting CIB games? let me know...like to do the same =)
    the sonic 2 poster was an ebay find, it looks be an original but who knows

the ocarina of time poster was something my mom brought home after the game was no longer being promoted, not sure where it came from as she worked in a high school cafeteria at the time

... now that I think about it, she must have got it when she pre-ordered the game and just came up with the other story to fool me, holy shit

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These all look wonderful, although I'm particularly attracted to the big Sonic II and Zelda ones at the top.

I have a fair amount of classic gaming posters carefully stored away, and have been waiting for a chance to put them up. Mostly I've been waiting for a place to find cheap frames of the right size, since I have distinct memories of the posters(mostly from Nintendo Power) that I put up with pins in the 90's and how bad they ended up.

That said, two questions.

1: Does anyone know of a particular place for cheap, effective frames of decent size? The ones I notice while casually browsing some shops tend to be rather pricey, and I'd like to know my options.

2: Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of creases in posters from folding? Many posters simply come folded, and it makes me sad because it detracts from their look. I've had my Zeta Gundam special edition poster up with those plastic bars you hang a poster from like a wallscroll, and time and and weight hasn't done much to fix the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    2: Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of creases in posters from folding? Many posters simply come folded, and it makes me sad because it detracts from their look. I've had my Zeta Gundam special edition poster up with those plastic bars you hang a poster from like a wallscroll, and time and and weight hasn't done much to fix the problem.
    Professional restorers and serious collectors use linen backing. The linen is (acid free)glued to the back of the poster and it ends up looking like it has never ever been folded, torn, or whatever. There are probally cheaper alternatives though but they won't look anywhere near as great.
    Last edited by jb143; 07-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, a poster thread.

I had a few posters printed from high res FC handbill scans some time back, at 24x36. The quality is excellent, even under close scrutiny. I used to own a lot of Castlevania posters but sold most of them off.

I have a huge Strider 2 arcade poster (came with the Japanese Strider Hiryu 2 arcade kit) around here somewhere too that I havent framed yet..
    Last edited by Arasoi; 07-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    These all look wonderful, although I'm particularly attracted to the big Sonic II and Zelda ones at the top.

I have a fair amount of classic gaming posters carefully stored away, and have been waiting for a chance to put them up. Mostly I've been waiting for a place to find cheap frames of the right size, since I have distinct memories of the posters(mostly from Nintendo Power) that I put up with pins in the 90's and how bad they ended up.

That said, two questions.

1: Does anyone know of a particular place for cheap, effective frames of decent size? The ones I notice while casually browsing some shops tend to be rather pricey, and I'd like to know my options.

1) I know in Canada, Michael's Crafts sells decent looking frames of all general sizes at pretty inexpensive prices. And on every receipt there's a coupon for a certain random percentage off your next buy, so that's good if you have multiple posters. If you're in the US, check some craft stores.

2) I dunno if there's anything to do about wrinkling as you can't really undo the effects of paper wrinkling on ink and paper. I think it just damages and almost dissolves the ink on the paper on a very small scale, that, or just obviously creates an unsightly crease that is impossible to eliminate.

Although paper creasing is an age old problem, there's a chance someone has come up with some brilliant off the wall solution by now. Time for google-fu.

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are the only two posters I currently have framed.

I won the Uncharted 2 poster at my job.

The Persona 2 poster I received at E3 back in 2000.

Quality is not the best my camera is terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    2) I dunno if there's anything to do about wrinkling as you can't really undo the effects of paper wrinkling on ink and paper. I think it just damages and almost dissolves the ink on the paper on a very small scale, that, or just obviously creates an unsightly crease that is impossible to eliminate.

Although paper creasing is an age old problem, there's a chance someone has come up with some brilliant off the wall solution by now. Time for google-fu.
    Here's an example of what I was talking about earlier. It's more for expensive posters though. There are many other options available such as steaming, vacuum presses, etc... For posters that aren't worth much I've heard of people simply damping the backs with a sponge and pressing them between 2 flat surfaces. Just like video games, there are many sites and forums dedicated to posters and poster restoration that you can look into for tips.

"Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty cool. I guess you just have to hope it's only a crease and not ink damage. I don't imagine you could insert something that has disappeared at the core. It'd probably take some hardcore wrinkling or folding though to get that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    That's pretty cool. I guess you just have to hope it's only a crease and not ink damage. I don't imagine you could insert something that has disappeared at the core. It'd probably take some hardcore wrinkling or folding though to get that bad.
    Professional restorerers could do it. Ink missing in the creases would be a "simple" touch up job.

For something much more damaged with really bad crease lines, missing ink, and rips & tears, check out this image...
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...EAFTERebay.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah there's almost always a professional for fixing or creating something, but I meant the average Joe Schmoe sitting at home.

Cause man I like my FFIV poster but I dunno if it's worth professionally restoring lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Well yeah, I'm just showing what can be done. Check out some poster forums. They give cheap methods to take the creases out and if the ink is missing in them, what pens you can use to fill them back in to look like new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Wow I cant believe how good they look. I have tried a few times hanging up unframed posters and it just looks tacky. They really look great. By the way your stereo system is catching my eye, Looks really nice. Someday I will have a mancave.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is a poster I framed myself. I got the picture frame at a garage sale for $2. The poster I printed off of the NES maps website.
    My wife thinks it is over-done for a game picture, but I like the frame:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52282791@N03/4818879751/

Is the frame too much for the poster? It is the levels for the NES game Solomon's Key.