Thread: SNES SN Propad Controller - Acting Weird?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES SN Propad Controller - Acting Weird?

Hello, I have this 3rd Party SNES Controller. It is an SN Propad Controller. Whenever I plug it in, it automatically selects a game on my 4 in 1 NES Cartridge on my Retro Duo. It then doesn't let me do anything such as move with the D-Pad or fire my arrows on the game it selects which is Super Robinhood. If I press A, it automatically starts pausing and firing arrows until I press A again. I also tried doing R + L + Start + Select. Nothing happens. Is there any way that I can repair this, as I know this will be a very reliable controller?

Here is a picture of the controller -

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repos.../SN_Propad.jpg

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just resoldered the controller wires, and now it doesn't skip to any game. Only the B Button works now for as far as I can test. The start button doesn't work, so I cannot play the game. Any clues as to how to fix this? Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure, just use a different controller I guess.

Test the controller out on a real console and see if it does the same things.

BTW: You link doesn't work.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Not sure, just use a different controller I guess.

Test the controller out on a real console and see if it does the same things.

BTW: You link doesn't work.
    I'm wondering if it could be either a worn out contact on the circuit board, or more cracked solder joints? Would this warm you up to any ideas, or do I need to take a picture of both sides of the circuit board? Thank you and have a nice day.

P.S. Stock picture of controller -

http://www.thosewerethedays.de/items...pad_sv-334.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should try to take some pictures of the actual work you've done on the controller. It's hard to pinpoint the problem from this side of the internet.

Did you ever try using it on a real console? I mean I'd think that it should work regardless but just checking.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should try to take some pictures of the actual work you've done on the controller. It's hard to pinpoint the problem from this side of the internet.

Did you ever try using it on a real console? I mean I'd think that it should work regardless but just checking.
    No, however, the actual controller takes the SNES Controller Port. The one SNES Controller did work perfectly on it, so I don't see why I have to worry about that. Anyways, here are the pictures. I couldn't put more solder on the yellow wire, because the solder wasn't staying because of some type of liquid (excess flux?). Here are the pictures -

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1...andebay019.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3...andebay018.jpg

It is extremely tough without a Desoldering Braid or Solder Wick, as I had to transfer some of the solder over to the IC's because it was not forming on the yellow wire; creating too much solder.

Please tell me how to fix this! Thank you and have a nice day.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Does the controller work fine with SNES games? So far you mentioned it having problems with just one NES game. What about with other NES games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Does the controller work fine with SNES games? So far you mentioned it having problems with just one NES game. What about with other NES games?
    I tried with another NES Game, which was Barbie. However, when I press the B Button in the game, it automatically pauses the game and I cannot unpause it without restarting the console. I also do NOT have any SNES games to test with this controller; only NES Games. The D-Pad doesn't even work either. Barbie will just stand there doing nothing, unless I press B to automatically pause the game. Not even any other buttons work and not even the Start and Select Buttons, unless the B Button is not allowing it. I also tried resetting the controller holding Select, Start, L, and R. Nothing happened. Please tell me how to fix this controller. Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You might have ruined it when you resoldered it, you mentioned that other buttons did stuff before you attempted to fix it.

Did you test the system with other SNES controllers? Maybe the problem is with the system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might have ruined it when you resoldered it, you mentioned that other buttons did stuff before you attempted to fix it.

Did you test the system with other SNES controllers? Maybe the problem is with the system.
    No, it did the same thing before I attempted to fix it, except that now it doesn't randomly skip to games. I tested it on Barbie and it did the same thing. I have also tried with other SNES Controllers and it does the same thing that it's supposed to, like it does with the Retro Duo Controllers. The Retro Duo Controllers have the same button layout and just about the same internals, except the wires for the L & R Circuit Boards have that white insulation where they are stuck together and the D-Pad is a bit smaller. I doubt that I ruined it, as it acted like it did before, minus the skipping the game. Please give me some more ideas! Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking about it and it's tough to see what's going on without really being there. Those are some decent close up pictures however. If I had a SN Propad I'd take her apart and compare the pictures, but I don't.

One thing that I'd recommend though is a desoldering pump. Basically it's a hand operated pump, you compress it with a switch, and release it with a button and it pulls the melted solder up into it. Works great.

It could very well be that the SN Propad PCB is messed up somewhere. Look for traces that have been shorted, broken, etc.

You could send it to me and I can mess with it and see if I can fix it for ya. Not sure if it'd be worth the shipping to and from my place but just thought I'd offer. I have a solder iron and desoldering pump and all that stuff. Might be a fun little project. I wouldn't charge you or anything. And I also have a real SNES I can try it on first to see if there is just some sort of incompatibility or something.

But yeah, things that I would recommend for trying to figure it out. :

#1. Get a desoldering pump - and desolder all of your wires and do them over again so they are nice and clean - strip off the end of the wires and start fresh (just don't strip off too much or the grommet might not go back into the controller properly) If you are short on cash you can use a copper wire as a solder wick. Basically heat up the wire while touching the solder and it should flow up the wire.

#2. Get a SNES game - no telling if all the buttons will ever work if you can't test it on a real SNES game

#3. Always a good idea to have a real SNES around to see if there is just some sort of incompatibility or something. Although I don't know if that's the issue or not, because the Retro Duo pads should work on a real SNES and vise versa.

#4. If you have a multi-meter use it. Ohm out the wires, make sure none are broken, melted or shorted together. Do a continuity test on each wire at each end of the cable, and on all the traces.

Oh and try a licensed game, no multi-carts, etc. No telling what you might get or what might happen with those things.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 07-16-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking about it and it's tough to see what's going on without really being there. Those are some decent close up pictures however. If I had a SN Propad I'd take her apart and compare the pictures, but I don't.

One thing that I'd recommend though is a desoldering pump. Basically it's a hand operated pump, you compress it with a switch, and release it with a button and it pulls the melted solder up into it. Works great.

It could very well be that the SN Propad PCB is messed up somewhere. Look for traces that have been shorted, broken, etc.

You could send it to me and I can mess with it and see if I can fix it for ya. Not sure if it'd be worth the shipping to and from my place but just thought I'd offer. I have a solder iron and desoldering pump and all that stuff. Might be a fun little project. I wouldn't charge you or anything. And I also have a real SNES I can try it on first to see if there is just some sort of incompatibility or something.

But yeah, things that I would recommend for trying to figure it out. :

#1. Get a desoldering pump - and desolder all of your wires and do them over again so they are nice and clean - strip off the end of the wires and start fresh (just don't strip off too much or the grommet might not go back into the controller properly) If you are short on cash you can use a copper wire as a solder wick. Basically heat up the wire while touching the solder and it should flow up the wire.

#2. Get a SNES game - no telling if all the buttons will ever work if you can't test it on a real SNES game

#3. Always a good idea to have a real SNES around to see if there is just some sort of incompatibility or something. Although I don't know if that's the issue or not, because the Retro Duo pads should work on a real SNES and vise versa.

#4. If you have a multi-meter use it. Ohm out the wires, make sure none are broken, melted or shorted together. Do a continuity test on each wire at each end of the cable, and on all the traces.

Oh and try a licensed game, no multi-carts, etc. No telling what you might get or what might happen with those things.
    Hello, I was just wondering if you could send me a prepaid shipping label in a box so that I can ship this SN Propad Controller out to you, and possibly another broken Super Nintendo Controller. Please discuss with me through either PM or email. My email address is

caesarwhoops@mail.com

I would love for you to take a look at it, possibly repair it, and probably the other Super Nintendo Controller also. Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BooperGrandson View Post
    Hello, I was just wondering if you could send me a prepaid shipping label in a box so that I can ship this SN Propad Controller out to you, and possibly another broken Super Nintendo Controller. Please discuss with me through either PM or email. My email address is

caesarwhoops@mail.com

I would love for you to take a look at it, possibly repair it, and probably the other Super Nintendo Controller also. Thank you and have a nice day.
    Are you asking him to pay for the privilege of repairing your broken controllers for you? I'm just wondering if I read that right.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you asking him to pay for the privilege of repairing your broken controllers for you? I'm just wondering if I read that right.
    That's the problem. I am pretty much poor and don't have that much money to print out a custom shipping label. eBay is one thing, because the buyers pay shipping in order for me to print out the shipping label to mail it out to them. I only have so much money, and it will cost a lot if he's anywhere out to the west, it will even cost over $11.00 in order to ship to California through Parcel Post if he lived there. Not to be mean or anything, however, he made up the service, so it is only fair if he sends a prepaid shipping label so that it could be easy mailing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Default re

Mine causes the system to say no signel after 2 mins its the controller as the system works fine with out the controller werid.