View Poll Results: Do you collect game informers

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 21.28%
  • no

37 78.72%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you collect game informer magazines?

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you collect game informer magazines?

I have been collecting game informer magazines since 2006 and keep them for the game reviews, cheats, and the covers. Some of the game informer cover have more than one of that game. Examples are dead or alive beach volleyball which had 2 covers and rock band: beatles which had 4. Did you collect all of those covers. Oh and are any game informers worth anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, I throw them away. It's a weird feeling for a guy that has a room just for comic books, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

No. I personally cannot stand Game Informer; they're like a mixture between IGN and Famitsu. Even then, I'd probably trust those two more than GI.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

I realllly hate game informer, I used to collect the mags of others like nintendo power tips n tricks uhh psm. But GI is just terrible I cannot stand them. They ARE the gamestop of magazines
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game Informer is the prime example of the "7-10 Review Scale". Anything below 7 is not worth your time to them. And in later issues, they'll go and reference a game that got a 6 in another column and say that it sucked. "5" is supposed to be average on a 0-10 scale, NOT "7". They're also notorious for making these awesome cover stories on upcoming games and then blasting them when the review hits, and never once mentioning that they had the game on the cover.

They've also had some pretty stupid comments in their reviews. For instance, when reviewing Dr. Mario & Puzzle League for the GBA, the reviewer said that they couldn't recommend the game because "There were already perfect versions of Dr. Mario & Puzzle League on the Nintendo 64". Well, not everyone has a Nintendo 64, dumbass. It'd be like me not recommending Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for the Xbox 360 because the "perfect" version was already on the Dreamcast.

But, I still get the magazine supposedly every month. I say supposedly because I don't get it every month. They charge me for a full year and they don't deliver every issue. Why do I do this? Eh, it's interesting to read somewhat. Their non-review articles are interesting. But you can tell that the people playing are certainly just doing it for the paycheck and the resume space.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't collect it so much as put it on a shelf till I need more space... for better stuff.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Had it for a year with my game store membership in 2003. Was a decent read, but nothing spectacular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I throw them out after a month. All they ever seem to talk about is Xbox and PC games, like they're still stuck in 2004, yet most of the fan art is Nintendo. You think they would get the clue that not only their writing is on-par with IGN, but most of their readers seem to be Nintendo fans.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you no one even collects game informers for the cover art.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The games that GI picks (or is paid) for their covers usually aren't my cup of tea.

I don't collect them, but they keep showing up at my house. Last weekend, I boxed up all mine except the last few. Their reviews are... well... not the best. I read some of the previews and developer interviews, which are about all it's good for. I might not renew my Edge card this year after discovering Goozex, not a big loss.

I did collect the 200th issue alternate covers. And by collect, I mean asked the GameStop clerk nicely and she handed me the 8 that I didn't already have.

The only magazines worth collecting to me are pre-2000, and preferably pre-1996.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I picked up the Official Playstation Magazine on Amazon for that one $5 special.

The magazine wasn't bad, but it's almost got no content. A 10 page interview or guide for Alpha Mission, a game I have no interest in, was almost half the magazine. The front cover showed Mafia 2 and it only had one page of information on it.

I have to say the last Game Informer I've gotten was better than the current OPM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a great read when you're on the shitter. The only reason I get it..well, it came free with the damn discount card.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The previews and reviews are utterly worthless, but they often have reveals on huge games before the internet does. That's something, I guess. I've also noticed a huge increase in the quality of their actual articles.

So yeah. I don't collect them: I throw them out after I'm done reading them. I don't mind the magazine as much as some people do though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to like them back in the 90's when they had more of an amateur-ish look and covered more of the kinda games I was interested in. Now they're way too polished and seem to shill for the major publishing companies.

And the photos they show of the magazine staff hanging out and having drinks with reps from Activision (and other companies) make me question their journalism ethics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like other people in the thread I have to admit I only get it for the Edge Card. I do read it, though, except for the boring and hyperbolic preview articles. The reviews don't seem any better or worse than what you usually get in gaming mags, definitely not something you'd take as the word of God.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    I used to like them back in the 90's when they had more of an amateur-ish look and covered more of the kinda games I was interested in. Now they're way too polished and seem to shill for the major publishing companies.

And the photos they show of the magazine staff hanging out and having drinks with reps from Activision (and other companies) make me question their journalism ethics.
    Questionable journalism ethics in the gaming press? No!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I throw mine out or I donate them to the local thrift shop,what they do with them I really don't care.

You gotta look at it this way,the magazine is like made to go along with the edge card when you get it. It's not in the magazine section of a food store or nothing like that. So you have to expect them to be stupid/biased because one they're catering to the gamer who spends sixty bucks on every game as soon as it comes out and the game companies who want good publicity for their upcoming games,simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I keep them around for some reason. I make a point to recycle every magazine we get after a month or so, but I've always kept my game magazines. It isn't a big deal since I can fit 14 years of gaming mags in two boxes in my closet. When they actually start to take up real space, I might toss a few.

I still enjoy thumbing through my old Nintendo Power and Gamefan magazines from time to time (I threw away the first 5 years worth of NP issues back in the mid-90's...can't remember why). I guess I keep my Game Informer's for the same reason, even though I haven't looked through any of them in the past 6 years.

Oh...I should add, I'm in the 1% of people who actually subscribe to Game Informer. As in, I pay for it without the Edge discount card. I can't think of a situation where I'd actually buy a new game at Gamestop, let alone a used game, so the card is pointless to me.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 07-17-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get most of the US gaming magazines. I enjoy Game Informer, but, as has been suggested they seem to only cover the 'popular' games. I think most of the games get decent ratings because they are reviewing games that people want reviews for; popular, big bugger budget stuff. Games don't get reviews below 6 or so on a 1-10 scale because they just aren't that bad. Every game seems to have an audience. I think the below reviews arer theoretical. I'm can interpret Game Informers review scores well enough; I don't rely on their reviews alone.

The magazine seems to be designed for Gamestop customers who are not as informed as the folks here.

Yeah I goit a bunch of them. Finding the oldest ones is nigh impossible, but they are cool finds when they turn up.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a couple of collector issues (guest artist) I know the shadow of collosus cover is one. I have to find the other one. I may be in the minority but I think it is a decent read. It is a lot of read. I like there clasic section albeit small. It is not the worse one out there. Actually one of the few left.

On another note. I received my gamer mag from best buy the first issue. It font is similar to GI. Will O neal is the editor. Not bad for a first edition. IMO
    Last edited by gepeto; 07-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

No, Bookman's buys current issues of magazines for $1 credit so that's where they go. I only get them because of the edge card.