0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    I hate when they cut the notches into record sleeves, it really destroys a lot of the value and makes them look bad.
    Destroying the value is one of the main reasons it's done, in addition to the retail and reseller reasons.

It was given out free, so no one should profit off of it. It's also why places rip covers off books before they're thrown out.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I bought Jeanne D' Arc a couple years ago from an FYE when it couldn't be found, but the FYE copy had a hole drilled into the case. A week later Amazon had it back in stock so I ordered it. I returned it to Walmart because I lost the FYE receipt and Walmart was also much closer, who had it listed as $40. I basically made $20 off it but what I really wanted was just the game without the hole in it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I bought Jeanne D' Arc a couple years ago from an FYE when it couldn't be found, but the FYE copy had a hole drilled into the case. A week later Amazon had it back in stock so I ordered it. I returned it to Walmart because I lost the FYE receipt and Walmart was also much closer, who had it listed as $40. I basically made $20 off it but what I really wanted was just the game without the hole in it.
    It ain't stealing if it's Walmart?

I'd have bitched to FYE myself.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Destroying the value is one of the main reasons it's done, in addition to the retail and reseller reasons.

It was given out free, so no one should profit off of it. It's also why places rip covers off books before they're thrown out.
    That's not the whole story when it comes to paperback covers. The covers are torn off and sent to the publisher so that the retailer can get a refund on the books. Sending just the covers saves on shipping (the publisher would just destroy the books anyway). The hardbound books are so expensive that the retailer sends the whole book back (even though they are heavier).

The stripped paperbacks are supposed to be destroyed - as per the retailers agreement with the publisher. However, employees have been known to take the stripped books home and dumpster diving has been known to happen. If you have a stripped paperback, you're basically in possession of stolen goods. If you try to trade in the stripped paperback at a used bookstore, they'll refuse the book (unless they're dishonest - I've actually found a stripped paperback or two at a used book store). If you look inside the first few pages of a paperback - usually where the copyright info is printed - you will (normally) see a little blurb saying that if the book you have in your hands has no cover, then it's stolen.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That is called return fraud and is a crime. Why would you post something like that here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

They are likely what are called "remainder" marks that are used on various products. Remaindered items are left over lots (usually comprised of more than one title) that are sold at a (generally) large discount and when they eventually wend their way to the retailers the savings are passed on to the consumer. The idea is that the item can't be returned by the consumer (and on up the chain) and get a full refund/credit (let's say $40 original retail) on something that may have sold in the $5-$10 (or less) range. It was common with records (either holes, slots or corner cutoffs) and laserdiscs (marked the same as records). It is still used on books - generally a magic marker stripe on the end or side of the book across the pages - sometimes on the barcode. On the bright side the remainder marks generally don't detract much in the way of the value (assuming everything else is the same) if the item becomes relatively collectible down the road. (With records, such items were more generally called "cutouts" - literally reflecting the nature of the damage done to the cover (and sometimes the record itself - the holes would sometimes be punched through the label in addition to the cover)).
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 07-19-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought a couple of discs once from an Asian student that actually had pretty deep cuts into the disc itself. Apparently they are dead serious about destroying foreign music in China. These discs are still useable, except for the last track or two. I am hoping they do not one day explode in the drive.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) brainerdrainer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah I got some PS1 games for $2 each and they are factory sealed. The bottom games have a hole drilled in the top left corner of the casing.

IMG_7025 by Y=MX+B, on Flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember several years ago when I would buy music CD's from eBay, they would almost always have a hole cut through the top left side.