Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kinect pricing official, plus bundles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would really like Kinect to be good, but unfortunately, I think it might be a serious dud. The first thing that bothers me, is that they are selling it for such a huge price, despite the fact that they removed a key processing chip from the original design. The theory when they did, is that they wanted to get under $100, yet we still have this $149.99 price.

I can say one thing, Microsoft is pretty brazen to be attempting a stunt like this with such seemingly faulty hardware. They obviously think they have a base of consumers that will swallow whatever they deliver. Maybe they are supply-constrained? Might as well overcharge for the thing, if you know you're not going to have enough to go around in the first place. As a consumer, I'm pissed about the price, but from a business standpoint, it isn't too horrible a strategy. They have a large contingent of early adopters that should snap these up with the appropriate hype and commercials. Then, next spring they can drop the price to $99 and get an additional category of adopters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only one who's sick of companies trying to jam motion control BS down our throats? I have less than no interest in buying Kinect.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

You're not.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I can say one thing, Microsoft is pretty brazen to be attempting a stunt like this with such seemingly faulty hardware.
    Ok, now you're trolling. You gotta be. It's too, dare I say, brazen.

That's the double edge of motion control though. Make it the control standard and you have a greater chance at success with it (while even succeeding you have to have traditional controls as an option and that exposes risk and vulnerability), while if you make motion control an extra option and you just reduced that chance by a large margin. The theoretical magic bullet here is the design of an input device that does both in a single unit and doesn't inflate cost too much and is functional and ergonomic. Sony tried at it and screwed the pooch... All six asses.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-02-2010 at 04:29 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Ok, now you're trolling. You gotta be. It's too, dare I say, brazen.
    I assume you're joking, but basically what I meant by that statement, is that Microsoft has some serious balls to have this seemingly glitchy product, yet they seem to think that it's no worries at all, because they are pricing the thing like they expect Kinect to sell itself, and be the hottest Xmas item of the season.

I give them serious credit for this ballsy attempt. If it works, they will look like geniuses. If it doesn't they can still lower the price.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume you're joking, but basically what I meant by that statement, is that Microsoft has some serious balls to have this seemingly glitchy product, yet they seem to think that it's no worries at all, because they are pricing the thing like they expect Kinect to sell itself, and be the hottest Xmas item of the season.

I give them serious credit for this ballsy attempt. If it works, they will look like geniuses. If it doesn't they can still lower the price.
    *puts on flame-proof suit* It worked for Apple with iPhone 4.0. *runs away*
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I still haven't gotten into first person shooters. All I can see with this motion stuff is that gaming is getting farther and farther away from me...

*goes back into his 16-bit cave and plays Bonk's Adventure*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've felt that way throughout this whole generation.

I assume you're joking.
    You'd be correct sir! Especially since, "Microsoft has endeavored to bring you faulty and unreliable hardware since 2005!" may as well be their game department's mission statement objective.

Why this all has frustrated me;

Around April/May of last year, I was starting to think seriously about buying a 360 hearing that the new hardware rev in the Pro/Elites were finally substantially improved. Then they unveil Project Natal, so I put that off. I saw it as a very good reason to wait, considering the inevitable bundle and it seemed like a solid plan to wait a little longer and have the full experience out-of-box on day 1... Then they neuter Kinect/Natal, while having introduced the slim model 360... So, back to square one for me. Waiting to see if the slim hardware is full of fail until it gets "fixed" like the others. I haven't checked prices on modded 360's since the last big MW2 Live ban... But I'm starting to think that I should. Buy two or three of them and just play/repair them in rotation.

Visualize this:

Genesis/SCD/32X next to 360/HD-DVD/Kinect

Been there, done that, payed way too much the first time. Lesson learned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Visualize this:

Genesis/SCD/32X next to 360/HD-DVD/Kinect

Been there, done that, payed way too much the first time. Lesson learned.
    But the similarity also extends to the fact that the 360 and Genesis were/are both good systems. The lesson is to not to buy the add-ons, not cutting yourself off completely from a good system. The 360, especially the slim, is definitely worth it. Say what you will about Microsoft, but they've done an extremely good job at replacing broken systems.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Man, I still haven't gotten into first person shooters. All I can see with this motion stuff is that gaming is getting farther and farther away from me...
    There was an episode of House last season that had this video game designer get sick. The survival horror FPS video game he was working on used video goggles, gun controllers, and read the player's movement (walking, ducking) and translated that to the game. Episode was called "Epic Fail".

I'm positive Activision will squeeze out a Kinect Call of Duty FPS game before too long.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    But the similarity also extends to the fact that the 360 and Genesis were/are both good systems. The lesson is to not to buy the add-ons, not cutting yourself off completely from a good system. The 360, especially the slim, is definitely worth it. Say what you will about Microsoft, but they've done an extremely good job at replacing broken systems.
    Yes, hence all the frustration. Personally, I don't think the 360 is even as good as the Genesis was (both being compared in their prime). I still play Genny stuff quite a bit, so I'll be fine taking on the 360 later especially since I couldn't care less about online console gaming. The big difference is my original model 1 Genny still works and has never had problems... Hell, my model 1 SCD still works and it was my only home CD-player for years, plus used regularly for gaming.

Thinking forward, I could probably buy a Kinect thinger at Gamestop for $10 by the time I get around to it. Probably sometime next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really excited about the Wiinnabe Kinect. The offerings at E3 have all already been done on Wii (whether they're better or worse seems irrelevant), and it was almost embarrassing to watch as it was SO close to the Wii demo at E3 2006.
    I also hear it was rushed just like the original 360 hardware. We all know how well THAT worked.
    I see a bevy of videos with concerns like crashing and not registering users, and even Fallon's demo was wrought with lag. Still, these were all beta machines and games.
    Many blogs have been voicing concerns with other people in the room ruining single-player play by either entering the field of vision and having the game try to register them (how distracting!) or yelling, "Xbox stop!" for the voice controls.
    Still, any hype is good hype before it comes out. We'll just have to wait and see how it actually performs in homes. Hopefully Microsoft will address these concerns, but it seems to be a mounting list and there may not be enough time to perfect it before launch.
    I just don't see it doing well with the $450 entry fee. $300 console, $150 Kinect, and $60 game would actually put it at about $510 for brand new families wanting a specific game that isn't the pack-in. Tough to beat when the Wii with Wii Sports AND Wii Sports Resort PLUS Wii Motion Plus and nunchuck goes for less than half that1

Sony has a similar model, but they aren't going after the same demographic. Microsoft wants the casual Wii crowd to come over to their side, but the key to the Nintendo Wii business plan was the low cost. Move seems like the grown-up Wii, where Kinect looks like the not-as-good Xerox copy. Interesting that all the companies are still interested as pretty much all gamers are tired of motion control. Still, if either one can do it better, I may get excited again.
    Last edited by Nightram; 08-04-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    The future is to those who take it!

Like Video Game Merchandise? Buy some here! Rare stuff in many categories! (Click the pic)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/5604308/deep-insi...rosofts-dreams

Saw this article, thought it was interesting and added to the discussion. Also includes the first pics I've seen of Kinect's guts, as well as some tidbits about the design and challenges MS has had with the device.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the move is going to have some appeal, the kinnect is going to suck really hard.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    http://gizmodo.com/5604308/deep-insi...rosofts-dreams

Saw this article, thought it was interesting and added to the discussion. Also includes the first pics I've seen of Kinect's guts, as well as some tidbits about the design and challenges MS has had with the device.
    I think the section about how a fully working device with this technology currently costs $10K-$150K in the real world is very instructive. I am convinced there is no way Microsoft has gotten anywhere close to that level of sophistication in a $150 device given my experience playing it and most of the games at E3 and at the Microsoft Store.

Insert Coin (Level 0) NomadGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Am I the only one who's sick of companies trying to jam motion control BS down our throats? I have less than no interest in buying Kinect.
    I definitely share that sentiment. I don't have much interest in motion control. I enjoy using controllers, having nothing but another box staring at me jumping around like an idiot doesn't appeal.

I feel about the same with it as i do the 3D TV's. HD hasn't even been fully adopted yet. I don't know. Maybe i'm just getting old and resistant to new technology lol.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NomadGamer View Post
    I definitely share that sentiment. I don't have much interest in motion control. I enjoy using controllers, having nothing but another box staring at me jumping around like an idiot doesn't appeal.

I feel about the same with it as i do the 3D TV's. HD hasn't even been fully adopted yet. I don't know. Maybe i'm just getting old and resistant to new technology lol.
    I agree with the motion stuff The wii is my least favorite Nintendo system because of the motion controls I do not like them. But the 3D stuff is incredible and is the future of gaming, i've played a few games in 3D and it's simply amazing to me. It immerses you in a way you never thought possible. I wish it just wasn't so expensive but it really is incredible.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NPLgamer View Post
    I agree with the motion stuff The wii is my least favorite Nintendo system because of the motion controls I do not like them. But the 3D stuff is incredible and is the future of gaming, i've played a few games in 3D and it's simply amazing to me. It immerses you in a way you never thought possible. I wish it just wasn't so expensive but it really is incredible.
    Well, the fact that a significant portion of the population can't wear 3D glasses without getting a headache and a significiant number of the rest of us just don't like the added eye strain indicates to me that 3D is not in fact the future. There was an interesting piece on NPR a few weeks back about how human vision is somewhat 2D in nature and that what has traditionally been called "3D" in entertainment mediums is not how the human eye and brain process the world which is why it always looks fake and causes eye strain and headaches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Well, the fact that a significant portion of the population can't wear 3D glasses without getting a headache and a significiant number of the rest of us just don't like the added eye strain indicates to me that 3D is not in fact the future. There was an interesting piece on NPR a few weeks back about how human vision is somewhat 2D in nature and that what has traditionally been called "3D" in entertainment mediums is not how the human eye and brain process the world which is why it always looks fake and causes eye strain and headaches.
    This. I do not mind motion controls, they have to work and add to the experience though. Standard controls can be broken and cripple gameplay too. Now, 3D-TVs can go die in the God-forest with the Na'vi for all I care.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-06-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't realize people hated 3D so much, it's amazing to me. But i have not used it enough to see if it gave me headaches. I've never got headaches from 3d movies i've seen.