Thread: Tactics Ogre PSP remake

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Tactics Ogre PSP remake

Square Enix is shitting all over the name by renaming it Tactics Ogre Wheel of Fortune, but regardless of what it's name is, it's a remake of my favorite game for my favorite portable system.

Awhile ago they trademarked Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together and I assumed at that time it was going to be a PSN rerelease of the PSX game. Glad to find out it's not.

Source from Siliconera. Click to enlarge.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow....Pat Sajak is gonna be in Tactics Ogre?

Here's hoping you get a minigame with a younger Vanna....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Hope it's not all slow and shitty like the FFT port to PSP.
    That could potentially ruin a classic....I'll definitely hang on to my PSX version to be safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

might have to burn that money ive been saving for vagrant story on the 3rd...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

I read somewhere that they had the original team working on it and the game was being remade from the ground up. I'm thinking that it might not end up being exactly the original game by the time they get through with it.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spoiler alert: Sephiroth kills Vanna

I'd prefer a straight port, or an enhanced port... The game was fantastic as it was. Nowhere to go but down.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

US/EU releases are keeping the original subtitle, Let Us Cling Together.

Queen (bleech) fans can stay happy now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) iloveguns's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like this game.. definitely a must buy for me..
    the best things in life are those moments unexpected...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Does anyone have the strategy guide for the remake? I usually don't buy strategy guides and really don't need a strategy guide for this game either, but is it a well written/produced guide?

It's my favorite game and I don't have the original Prima guide and getting one in mint or even good condition is ridiculously expensive, so I thought maybe this guide will be a good replacement. If anyone would be willing to part with a Prima for Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together and/or Brigandine Legend of Forsena for cheap I'd be interested in taking them off your hands as long as they're in good condition.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-20-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Does anyone have the strategy guide for the remake? I usually don't buy strategy guides and really don't need a strategy guide for this game either, but is it a well written/produced guide?

It's my favorite game and I don't have the original Prima guide and getting one in mint or even good condition is ridiculously expensive, so I thought maybe this guide will be a good replacement. If anyone would be willing to part with a Prima for Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together and/or Brigandine Legend of Forsena for cheap I'd be interested in taking them off your hands as long as they're in good condition.
    There's an official Bradygames guide that was delayed for some reason. It's supposed to start shipping this week. Amazon has it for $12.50, Gamestop has it for $19.99.

As far as the game is concerned...I have to mention the pre-order bonus deck of cards are fantastic. Useless...but still fantastic.

This new version obviously has a lot of additions and looks so much better. I haven't played the game since I bought the PS version 13 years ago (Summer of '98?). It's the first Ogre game I've played since my 70+ hour excursion through the GBA (Knights of Lodis) entry. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is the goofy button arrangement. You have to push multiple buttons simultaneously to do certain things. Dumb. Anyway...awesome game overall. SRPG + updated graphics + Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack = my perfect game.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

After finishing Final Fantasy 4 on Complete I started on Tactics Ogre PSP. I'm only on chapter 2 right now, but so far I'm very disappointed.

After starting the game up, I could deal with the retranslation of literally everything in the game. What I like the most is the remade music, especially how they added the original Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen music as random battle music.

Unfortunately, what I didn't like about the game was the gameplay. The gameplay changes that they made really didn't sit right with the game. Having classes based on level rather than characters having a specific level was a nice touch, but it now makes it so that unless you grind for tarot cards or it's a story character, every character will have essentially the same stats whenever going through class change. Also if you get a new class, it starts at level one, so basically either carry that class into a story battle or walk around and hope you hit a random battle in 50 days. No joke about the random battles though. It really did take around 50 days for me to hit a random battle, for the exact reason I gave above. I wanted to level the class above level one.

The new skill listings are tacked on to make it feel more like Final Fantasy Tactics I'm sure, most of the additions to build your character around what weapon type you'd like to equip, resistance against etc, or have your character use specific magic. Then stuff like how 50%(exaggeration) of classes can now cast the heal spell, potentially eliminating the need of a cleric if you so really desired. Let's not forget that every spell is permanently learned by a character rather than being able to swap spells between characters, so, if there's still Dragon Magic in the game, you better not screw up and give it to the wrong character.

The thing I most dislike about the game so far is the amount of damage that is sustained by characters and enemies. What did they do? Copy the Knight of Lodis damage system? Even with the most powerful weapons at my specific location, I'm hitting for maybe 30-50 damage unless they're light armor characters. Same with enemies, most taking a lot less. Why not just build a party full of knights? When the enemies at my very same level take off damage of less than 20 to my characters in the knight class and I can cast heal once every two turns, sometimes every one turn, and it heals between 40-50hp. Extremely flawed damage system. More flawed than the original which had bows which were somewhat overpowered where almost everything on Tactics Ogre PSP is underpowered.

Again, I'm only a chapter in, but in comparison to the original, the game sucks balls. They added some nice touches to it, but the extremely flawed gameplay mechanics make it less fun than the original. The original game is much better the further you are in, but early on it's still better than the PSP game. That being said I really hope the PSP version happens to get much better.

What I did like. The new graphical touches, the music, the way Warren Report is now laid out. They put a lot of work into the game so I really want to enjoy it so I'll definitely put in the time to attempt to enjoy it, especially considering the original is my favorite game.