0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Default DLC Frustrations...

I'm a game collector; I like having the full game on the disc and not having new DLC available the day a game comes out. This has been discussed in great detail. DLC pretty much stands for Disc Locked Content for some companies, as they abuse what should be a great experience. DLC should be content that is added to the game that is not on the disc. Extra dungeons in RPGs, large map packs, and other fun things are great examples of DLC.

But that also leaves me with a conundrum. I'm also an achievement chaser. I tend to be OCD when it comes to this, and I like having my games at 100% completion so I can stroke my ego across the internet to people who don't care. But when a new GOOD (keyword 'good') DLC comes out (I.E. Fallout 3 DLC, Fable II DLC, etc) they add achievements to it and now my 100% complete game now sits at around 90-95% complete. That drives me crazy, not because I have to pay money to re-complete the game, but because I can be in the middle of another game, chasing all the achievements, and now I have a game that I had once completed, only to have it look like I didn't finish it. I'm starting to find that I hate DLC across the board, good or bad. There's no happy medium here. Anyone else have this problem?

And this has been another pointless rant by Zthun. Carry on...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Atleast 50% of games release nowdays come with DLC from release nowdays. DLC is shit. I don't like it solely because nearly every new game I buy is incomplete without DLC.

If it's DLC for online only like extra map packs etc, it doesn't bother me because online won't always be there and you purchase the map packs to play online to begin with. Once the servers go down it doesn't matter if you've lost online only content. If you format your system and the PSN or XBL goes down with single player DLC however, you're pretty much screwed and will never again get the complete experience. I try to not purchase even physical copies that have DLC.

The best thing about the Wii, PSP, and DS, atleast 99% or in the DS' case, 100% of the games are complete as soon as you buy them. No need to unlock any bullshit by paying extra money or downloading even free DLC.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

To be fair, if the old Xbox is any indication, completionists can just download the content off the internet.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    To be fair, if the old Xbox is any indication, completionists can just download the content off the internet.
    This is what I hope does happen.

I'm not trying to impose that piracy is needed, but many years down the line, these DLC will no longer be available. On the Xbox, even though the service is no longer around, many can still download the extra content, albeit on a modded console. Still, it's something that can still be enjoyed many years from now. Same goes for the Wii.

I've yet to see anything of the like for both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, though I will admit I don't follow the modding scene for any of the two.

DLC does piss me off a bit. In a way, it's great to have a game expanded with new stuff that was not originally planned for the console, like new levels and such. But when the DLC is actually on the disc itself, only unlockable with a DLC/code...now this pisses me off. The content is RIGHT THERE, yet we need to pay X amount for something we already paid for that is on the disc?

Also, DLC should only cost a few bucks, not an asinine amount of money. $15 for a "new episode"? No thanks.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

some of the DLC seems to be developers shipping a game that isnt ready yet. I can remember more than one game that had to have "bug fix DLC"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do appreciate games that put out a GOTY edition with all of the DLC included. That is perhaps the best way to balance collectability and DLC, as I would think these editions would ultimately become the "best" versions to have 30 years from now? But who knows? I play and collect games I like and don't worry about future value, because its almost 100% of the time going to be worth less in 10 years than initial retail price anyways.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Companies should compile DLC games and addons onto discs. Sure, there is GOTY versions, but at the same time, what about the "regular" games one downloads for the console, like Limbo and such? Companies have released compilation discs, such as Konami and Popcap, but many still need a release.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Companies should compile DLC games and addons onto discs. Sure, there is GOTY versions, but at the same time, what about the "regular" games one downloads for the console, like Limbo and such? Companies have released compilation discs, such as Konami and Popcap, but many still need a release.
    You'd have the same problems here. Companies release DLC for their DLC. Look at Rock Man 9 & 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The "Plants vs Zombies" update removing the "thriller zombie" seems like dlc going backwards. i mean, how can they use updates to change charcters in the game, and say that you want to keeo the mj zombie, does that disqualify you from future dlc for this game?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    The "Plants vs Zombies" update removing the "thriller zombie" seems like dlc going backwards. i mean, how can they use updates to change charcters in the game, and say that you want to keeo the mj zombie, does that disqualify you from future dlc for this game?
    usually the patch is automatic or you can't play it while connected to xbox live. go offline and never play it while connected and you would be fine afaik.

the patch in itself I don't have a problem with. its a company avoiding a potential lawsuit if they carried forward. I saw the zombie as a homage, but with him dying it does change the connotation a bit for me.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618