Thread: Feedback on getting an Intellivision

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Feedback on getting an Intellivision

Despite a few mistakes that I've definitely learned from, the task of getting and modding an Atari 2600 worked out very well, and now I'm thinking of moving on with the next logical step.

There are certainly resources out there regarding the Intellivision, but I thought I'd get some feedback here anyway, because I got a lot of good and useful advice with the 2600 from before.

I'm leaning towards the Intellivision II, because it is small enough to fit where I would want it to go, it has replaceable parts (controllers and power supply), and the original models are probably too old to be very reliable. I'm not adverse to the INTV system, but that's the kind of thing I'd need feedback on.

Unlike with the Atari, I haven't seen any online stores that seem to have Intellivision systems currently in stock. Is eBay my only real choice here?

What is a typical price for these systems? I've seen some startling variations in price.

There seems to be one composite video mod out there for the system:

http://intelliwiki.kylesblog.com/ind...o_Modification

I'm taking it for granted this isn't too difficult to make and install? I managed the 2600 one alright, and it looks great on the LCD TV I'm using.

With regards to the Intellivision II, there doesn't seem to be a stock of controllers and power supplies out there. I've heard that the power supply from a model 1 Genesis will work? Have there been any controller solutions available for the system?

Anything else I should know and look out for? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got an INTV1 myself a couple of weeks ago. I found it at a local thrift store for $2. It's in great shape, just missing the gold "disc" decal on controller 2.

I've seen them go for around $25-40 on average on ebay for a base working system, more if it comes with several games or the IntelliVoice module. I've never paid too much attention, so my estimate could be flawed.

The video output on the thing is incredible, I was very surprised it was much better than my Atari machines through RF. It's also astonishingly reliable, it powered right up without any work or cleaning and has worked for hours with no issues. The controllers still work fine and even the reset button still works (which I've heard can be a problem). But YMMV, especially with random thrift store encounters like mine.

The II seems like a decent way to go, I've talked to some owners of those and they say it's nice to have for the swappable controllers and PSU, but it also feels cheaper and the look of it is kind of weird if you prefer the INTV1.

I'd also be interested if there are any controller/PSU solutions for the the II if anyone else can provide that info!
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

Concerning the intellivision 1 I found mine boxed and complete with its manual at a flea market for 15 bucks and thats really what a complete intelivision is worth so 25-40 for a base system is a little high and you can probably get it cheaper.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

My grandmother got me my intellivision model 1 at a church sale with the voice and some boxed games for like 10 bucks, which is way on the low end, but I don't think the system exactly sets the world on fire regarding price.

I've had no problems with mine, though I understand overheating can be a problem with nonstop use for hours on end. The side buttons on my controllers are also starting to be a bit pickier about when they work, but for the most part are still functioning fine.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

I know a local store in Chicago has quite a few of them for about 40-50 bucks. Personally I'm waiting for that DS cart that is supposedly coming out in september. I never played an Intellivision so I'm not sure if I should plunk down the bucks for one and some games. Plus I dont have any room for one.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only thing to keep in mind with the model 2, is that it doesn't play the coleco cartridges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've found Intellivision I consoles to be very reliable. Other than wear and tear on the controllers, they will usually be fine as far as functionality goes. They aren't like Colecovisions, which have a low probability of working if you find one in the wild.

I'd go with the Intellivision 1 if I were you. The power supply is internal, so you won't have to deal with locating a 'wall wart' power supply with the Intellivision II. Coleco games will work on it, which depends on your ability to withstand crappy ports as to whether that's a good thing or not. I don't recall ever seeing an Intellivision I unit in the wild that had controllers so badly abused that they didn't work properly. Sure, the model 1 is big and bulky, but at least the Intellivoice matches it. The real concern is whether it can use the System Changer to play 2600 games. Although that's not really necessary for collectors like us, since we all seem to have 2600 consoles lying around the place already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you can find a sears model, that is my version of choice. it is butt ugly, but it has removable controllers and no compatibility issues.

the only strange thing about it is the title screens will not say mattel electronics. you will just have the color bars and the title of the game and copyright

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I took step one by hitting Radio Shack and getting most of the components needed for building the composite video circuit. Missing a few of the resistors, since they didn't have all the values the circuit needed, but there's still time to look around for those, plus I know I can double some up if need be.

I wish there was a reliable online source for getting an Intellivision console outside of eBay. Perhaps there is and I haven't found it yet. I created an account at AtariAge, so hopefully I can take advantage of their forum to see if anyone has one up for sale. As much as I'd prefer the smaller model II, I'll be happy with anything that works.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Other than wear and I don't recall ever seeing an Intellivision I unit in the wild that had controllers so badly abused that they didn't work properly.
    Usually controller malfunctions just have to do with the sheets in the controller being misaligned anyway so its really easy to fix
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an Inty 2 now, although I grew up with an original. I don't like the keypad on the Inty 2 nearly as much as the original, and the side buttons seem stiffer (although I don't have an Inty 1 to compare with).

I saw a Sears Inty on GameGavel.com with a bunch of games for about $25.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default video circuit madness

OK, so the Intellivision II has been purchased and should be on its way soon. In advance of that, I put together the recommended video circuit:

Radio Shack did not have a great selection of resistors, so you'll notice a number of them in series and in parallel to achieve correct (or mostly correct) values. I know it looks a mess, but the circuit I did for the 2600 was a mess too, but it still worked, so that isn't was has me worried. What I'm a bit confused about, and perhaps I am exposing my ignorance on electronics in general, is that the circuit has a ground, and the RCA plug is also going to have a ground. So, if I understand this correctly, I am going to have a total of three ground wires -one for the audio RCA plug, one for the video RCA plug, and one for the video circuit. Is that right?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RF interference

Probably should have left well enough alone, given that the video quality from the standard RF was pretty good -a bit of ghosting, but nothing terrible. Still, having a composite video connection would be much more convenient. Problem 1 is that the circuit I made is too big to fit well within the machine, so I have it hanging out the back in a sort of plastic case with the RCA connectors.

The minor miracle is that it all works. I have a composite video and audio signal, and its pretty solid for the most part. The maddening thing is that the video quality is not as good as I was getting from the RF cord, and it seems to be because of RF interference. I tried cutting the video wire going into the modulator, but that eliminated the video signal entirely for reasons I can't explain at all. I'd never heard of anyone else experiencing this. The general consensus was that if you disable the RF modulator, you'll get a cleaner composite video signal. Instead, I got a black screen. Any ideas what's the deal with all that? I re-soldered the wire to re-establish the video, but I'm out of ideas on cleaning up the video apart from taking a second stab at doing the video circuit again (but what would I change? would the changes be meaningful in a way that would be worth the effort?)

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably too late for you now but the InTV 1 or Sears model are the way to go. The 2 is too small to mod easily as discussed and the controllers are awkward and uncomfortable at best and the power/reset button combo is beyond a pain to deal with for me. I don't like my model 2 and prefer to still use my original is given the chance.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I still don't have a good solution for the power button, but as long as I can get it to turn on, I'm going to refrain from doing anything radical.

The second attempt at my video circuit was much more successful than the first. I basically semi-copied what someone else had done, who had posted pictures of the same mod but made it entirely flat by not using a PCB. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be, and by using an insulating card between the motherboard and the mod to avoid accidental contacts, the circuit fit inside perfect. Now my Intellivision II no longer looks like a school science fair project, and the video quality of my second build is actually slightly improved (still not great, but it seems no one using this mod as managed perfectly clean video output).

Once I get my hands on a Sega Genesis controller extension cable, this enterprise will be done. Out of curiosity, has anyone managed to get alternative controllers to work on an Intellivision II, such as a Genesis pad, or perhaps even better, the Atari Jaguar controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There's no real problem with the power button on the Intellivision II, just push it to reset a game and hold it down for a few seconds to switch it off. Not that big of a deal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    There's no real problem with the power button on the Intellivision II, just push it to reset a game and hold it down for a few seconds to switch it off. Not that big of a deal.
    I think in the case of my machine the problem is more mechanical than electronic. When I had the top part of the case off to install the mod, I could turn on the machine by pressing on the white pad that makes up the visible portion of the power switch with no problems, and it also reset and turned off just as you described as well. With the case on, it can take a few tries to get it to turn on, and I have never been able to get it to reset or turn off with the button. There's a long plastic peg that pushes down on the white pad on the motherboard. The pad itself looks a bit like white tape, and there is a dimple in the middle where the peg presses into it. I wonder if that dimple is normal, or if it is the result of years of repeated presses creating the dimple and so affecting its responsiveness. Is that dimple a common sight? Is it too obvious a solution to try and place something over the pad?