Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU collect?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do YOU collect?

I am asking to see your "way" of collecting. I only see there as 2 ways.

1. Buy any and every game and or peripherial(sp?) you can, as long as its cheap, your "Gameroom" gets larger faster, but most of these titles you never play. This is how I currently am . I am about to become a number 2.

2. Only buy the games that you think are fun and good games to play. Your gameroom is usually smaller in numbers, but you know in your heart that all of your games, though they may cost more than #1's options, kick ass to play.

I have become tired of storing things in my room which I never play, I am getting rid of all of them soon, and buying a gaming computer, buying Everquest 2, won't be buying many games, just goign to buy any good games which I see fit. How do you guys collect?
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#2 his the good answer for me.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#1. I collect for collecting sake. All of my cartridge based console games I rarely ever play.

But, I'm not collecting post Saturn games (Maybe not even saturn games) so those, I buy ONLY to play. If I don't enjoy it, I don't buy it. If I DO buy it and I think it sucks, I'll sell it.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess #2, I try to have the top of the line, critically acclaimed best games for each system, as well as games I enjoyed in my youth,(I'm 26) on NES, SNES, Genesis, and Saturn. I have about 800 games at the moment, I try to buy old stuff when I see it as it's getting harder to find. I get what are considered the top 50-100 games for the system (as long as I like the genre and have interest in the title), as well as any series or character games I like. For the older systems I'm more likely to pick someting up if it's really cheap and take a chance, but I usually check out gamefaqs review and try to avoid the junk.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I have a wanted list of RPG's that I would someday like to play through. Since I collect pretty much ONLY RPG's, there's pretty much no way I will ever make it through all of the games I have, but I'm gonna keep collecting until I feel there aren't any more games that I'd actually like to play on that system, wich is probably never. I'll take big breaks in hunting to take time to play (like now... 30 hours into Xenogears in a week).

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

A bit of both I guess. If I see something that I know I'll never play, I won't pay a bunch for it, only to make everything look better. If it's something I want to play, I'm willing to shell out more for it. I'll never pay more than say $5 for something I know I won't play unless there's resale attached.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i guess i'm more of a #1 than a #2, but i think there are more types than those two. what about people who pay $200+ per game for games that they won't play or will rarely play, but don't buy too many commons? i'm sure there's other types also that don't fit in those categories.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy games so I can have a complete NES collection. I guess I fit into #1. I buy everything I can. If it's cheap that is. I rarely spend over $5 Canadian for a NES game.
    ~Rich

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

#2 for me except when it come sto specific collections I'm aiming for.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm closest to Sylentwulf's description. I'll grab anything that's cheap that I don't have pre Saturn, post-Saturn I'll buy it if I want to play it, but I never sell anything unless I have a duplicate.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good responses so far, just giving this topic a little bump to hear other board members opinions.
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

This is an interesting post! I've actually never purchased a game that I didn't intend to play extensively or through. So I guess I'm a collector of only that which appeals to me. So #2. I actually sort of envy those who collect everything like madmen, as it makes for a more impressive looking collection. It just drives me nuts to do it myself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: How do YOU collect?

Quote Originally Posted by Starcade
    I am asking to see your "way" of collecting. I only see there as 2 ways.

1. Buy any and every game and or peripherial(sp?) you can, as long as its cheap, your "Gameroom" gets larger faster, but most of these titles you never play. This is how I currently am . I am about to become a number 2.

2. Only buy the games that you think are fun and good games to play. Your gameroom is usually smaller in numbers, but you know in your heart that all of your games, though they may cost more than #1's options, kick ass to play.
    Hmmm.... My way really isn't either way. I buy a lot of the cheap stuff (well, I get given a lot of it, too), but I play pretty much everything that I have unless I'm missing something that I need to be able to play it. (i.e.: I haven't played my World Heroes cart for the MVS because I don't yet own an MVS machine.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If its for the VCS and I don't have it, I'll usually buy it, but otherwise I'm pretty much a #2 kind of guy.
    SO not the Drama.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely a #1. Not only do I buy games I know I won't play, but I buy games I already have that I know I won't play. I plan on starting my own business at some point, so I spend most of my spare cash on whatever good deals I can find. Rarely do I splurge and buy something I actually want to play. I bought Shining Force 3 recently, thats the first game I've paid more than $30 since Mario Sunshine came out.

I think I get more of a thrill "in the hunt" then I actually get playing the games. I've been known to buy 30 or 40 games in a day, and only play them for 10 or 15 minutes. I'm definitely a weird one.

-Hitman-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I used to buy everything in site that was cheap, even if I would never play it. Lately my collection habits have drastically changed. I'll usually only buy things I plan on playing and rarely go flea marketing or thrifting anymore. So now, I'm buying things I'll play, but I won't pass up a good deal when I see one. However, I won't be selling off that which I have aquired.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With a gillnet. (hey I'll take the Dolphin games too.)

Anything
    Everything
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy whatever I can that's in mint condition, complete. Any system - doesn't matter.

While I have no intention to sell in the near future, I have learned that there is no substitute for quality items.

I collect to collect, like Sylentwulf. There simply isn't time to play every game, even if I wanted to.

I typically play games when I have time, and they gravitate to the newest stuff.

It doesn't necessarily have to be cheap for me to get it, it just has to be in mint condition, preferably complete. Once I find such items, I try to get them at the lowest price I can, but that's just common sense.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unless I'm fanatical about the system itself, I'm a #2. I like to buy either stuff I'll play or stuff I know I can trade to get the stuff I'll play. Except.... the Turbo-Grafix 16! (you knew that was coming). I want a complete on that more than anything.

But I do prefer getting stuff I'll play. A recent trade for Dark Wizard has kept me gaming for quite a bit, hopefully I can finish it before I get a copy of PSIV, which I know will be my ONE game to play for a while.

-AG