Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special 7800 Proto Stolen At CGE - Help Please!, Halloween cart stolen from AA stand

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

My guess would be 15 year old vegas punk stops in the show and pulls a klepto. He has no idea what it is or why but he was looking for something to steal.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GroovyBee's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Added to original post.
    Thanks for that .

Insert Coin (Level 0) GroovyBee's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megamaniaman View Post
    I am wondering if the game was actually stolen. Could it have been accidentally sold to someone?
    If you look at the cart image it says "WORK IN PROGRESS" and "AtariAge" on the front label so I don't think that there would be any chance it could have been sold. It was also located in a machine to be played by attendees.

It looks just like the other Homebrews.
    It doesn't look like a normal 7800/2600 homebrew cart to me.

It is just hard for me to wrap my head around the concept that someone would steal this of all things. I mean there were certain items at this show that were 20 times as valuable as this game. Actual prototypes of NES, Atari 2600 were floating around, but the thief goes, and steals a proto of a homebrew. It just doesn't add up.
    Tell me about it.

I have a feeling that this will turn up sooner or later.
    Personally, I don't think it'll turn up. Gone for good I expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nhm View Post
    Spoken like a true theif. I'm not joking, your mentality is the exact same as a petty thief.
    His attitude shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that has read past postings from him.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Sorry to hear that Groovy. I had a chance to play it on the Saturday, and like the others, it's progressing well. The only upside is that it wasn't something a lot more valuable...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sucks, not only because something was stolen but it will make people more distrustful in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Honestly, the AA booth was packed Saturday so I did not have a chance to play any of the 2600 games (I don't own anything higher than that). With how many people were walking around that booth, unfortunately, it could have been anybody.

I seriously did not even get to play anything in the AA booth until Sunday since it was so packed on Saturday.

Somebody also mentioned that it looked like the other homebrews. I actually purchased a copy of Halo 2600 and it had a badass legit looking front and spine label.

As for it being a non attendee, I do not see how that is possible, as security was keeping a close eye on the museum and security was also checking badges on the way in the door.

The thing I can see that sucks really bad about this is the fact that I loved the honor system. Being there, that was one of the reasons why I want to go to every single CGE after this one. It just felt like a bunch of gamers hanging out, playing some games, maybe selling off what they have.

Now if thieves are running around, that honor system will go away, which seriously sucks bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am wondering if the game was actually stolen. Could it have been accidentally sold to someone? It looks just like the other Homebrews. It is just hard for me to wrap my head around the concept that someone would steal this of all things. I mean there were certain items at this show that were 20 times as valuable as this game. Actual prototypes of NES, Atari 2600 were floating around, but the thief goes, and steals a proto of a homebrew. It just doesn't add up. I have a feeling that this will turn up sooner or later.
    Sometimes, these things are a crime of opportunity. At one game show I was displaying at, someone stole my Xbox copy of Star Wars Clone Wars / Tetris disc. It's the pack in game that came with my Xbox. That's like stealing a friggin' Combat cart. Unfortunately, I left my table unguarded for just a minute and learned a (fortunately inexpensive) lesson.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    I don't know about that. I didn't even know they where doing a Halloween for the 7800 before it got stollen. Now there are threads everywhere about it and everyones all worked up. Now they should sell a ton.

I can see it now. "The game thats so good, someone stole it!"

Messin with my games is like messin with my emotions.

I didn't even know the convention was going on and I live in Vegas! I though it was going to happen in late August.

Had a feeling that convention was going to be full of thugs. Better off going to the Source Awards.

I say, this is the best thing to happen to everyone involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by emceelokey View Post
    I didn't even know the convention was going on and I live in Vegas! I though it was going to happen in late August.

Had a feeling that convention was going to be full of thugs. Better off going to the Source Awards.

I say, this is the best thing to happen to everyone involved.
    Yeah, we missed you too, Cuddles.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suddenly all of us Las Vegans come out of the wood works.. or the high desert I should say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    I don't know about that. I didn't even know they where doing a Halloween for the 7800 before it got stollen. Now there are threads everywhere about it and everyones all worked up. Now they should sell a ton.

I can see it now. "The game thats so good, someone stole it!"

Messin with my games is like messin with my emotions.
    Well, I meant the extra exposure of Sunday...but you might be right for all around exposure I'll buy the game when released, that is for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had a 7800 I'd be on it, looks cool! But I don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet a month from now the cart will be found lodged inside of a toaster NES or something in the exhibitor's stock.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Sadly, the best defense is to keep your guard up at all times. You never can be too careful.

When we demonstrated Beggar Prince to the world for the first time at CGE 2k5, I kept personal watch over the prototype game cartridge at all times, even though it was inserted in a Genesis system that was seated behind the booth tables.

Likewise, when we visited France for the 2007 Retro-gaming Connexion, the early Zaku prototype was always being closely watched by either myself or my good friend Kenny. Since the event ran all night long, I took the prototype with me to the hotel when our group retired for the night.

The problem with prototypes of any kind is... they're prototypes. People desire to have them, plain and simple. It's irrelevant if the game is in a very early state, or if its near-complete. We've been mobbed by people at conventions, at times, just inquiring about purchasing our prototype game boards (which of course is out of the question), so obviously we must, unfortunately, consider the possibility that there are also people out there who would simply walk up and take them, given the chance. It's a sad world.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I am sorry to hear about your cart being stolen, assholes don't understand that if people fear for their stuff being stolen, they won't show it.

Has anyone resorted to selling "prototype" copies of games they are releasing? If collectors are so hot to get any proto, why not make a production run of 'proto' carts. Then nail em again for the full version.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Theft is fucking theft, you asshole.
    Love the sentiment.

Your argument from sanity is much too sound to waste on that guy though. What Leo said, take that into account. It takes a lot to truly disgust me, and one series of posts he made some time ago DQ'd any weight I give to his views on any ethical ground. Either he's 100% pure bastard or he gets jollies from jabbing sticks into "moral" beehives with these types of posts. Either way, it yields nothing of value to reply to him.

My thoughts: Take that quote from G-Boobie and a pic of the stolen cart and make some T-shirts and/or badges for the con.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-05-2010 at 08:47 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Love the sentiment.

Your argument from sanity is much too sound to waste on that guy though. What Leo said, take that into account. It takes a lot to truly disgust me, and one series of posts he made some time ago DQ'd any weight I give to his views on any ethical ground. Either he's 100% pure bastard or he gets jollies from jabbing sticks into "moral" beehives with these types of posts. Either way, it yields nothing of value to reply to him.

My thoughts: Take that quote from G-Boobie and a pic of the stolen cart and make some T-shirts and/or badges for the con.
    No surprise really. It's obvious his actions are morally incorrect, yet he shows no remorse. Nor is he man enough to take responsibility of his actions. Karma will eventually get this him, though.

But going back to topic, things like this pisses me off. Someone works hard to create something to share with everyone, and a dick shit decides it's funny to steal it. If the culprit is ever found, someone should take an Atari cart, wrap it in sand paper, and shove it into the guys urethra.

I'm happy this has not stopped GroovyBee. I can't wait to see the game released, as it looks wicked awesome.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3213

Another booth had something taken, but they claim it was done by what sounds like a fairly mentally handicapped person. Who may well have taken the Halloween cart also. Me personally, I don't really view that as "theft" if the person doesn't have the capacity to make such rational judgments.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3213

Another booth had something taken, but they claim it was done by what sounds like a fairly mentally handicapped person. Who may well have taken the Halloween cart also. Me personally, I don't really view that as "theft" if the person doesn't have the capacity to make such rational judgments.
    I dunno man. Before the store that my brother worked in closed down, there was a mentally handicapped person working there that new how to manipulate the system to his accord. He would actually steal and when confronted, he used all the "tricks in the book" (laws on his side) to slide through. This went on for YEARS with several felonies: theft, violence, etc.

So it really depends if the person knew what they were doing. For me, it's a 50/50 chance.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!