Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend games like Spelunker and Pitfall II

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The ropes are a pain, but are not too difficult to master with practice, and are by no means game-breaking. I've beaten the game dozens of times, and have completed enough loops in one game to get to the parts where all items and keys are invisible. I'm not a particularly skillful gamer, so it's pretty doable.

You should practice, Rob! It's a fantastic platformer once you get the hang of it.
    Hmm, I dunno. I tried for hours and could never get it down. It always seemed random to me whether the jump from a ladder or rope worked or not.

What could I be doing wrong?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lode Runner is sort of similar, and quite fun as well.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Hmm, I dunno. I tried for hours and could never get it down. It always seemed random to me whether the jump from a ladder or rope worked or not.

What could I be doing wrong?

-Rob
    You have to tap the A button and left/right on the d-pad at precisely the same moment. It requires a lot of precision, and you'll still fall occasionally even after mastering it, (which is really the biggest flaw in the game, admittedly.) Don't use an NES advantage as your button presses won't be as accurate. Next time you pop the game in, give it a shot.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    You have to tap the A button and left/right on the d-pad at precisely the same moment. It requires a lot of precision, and you'll still fall occasionally even after mastering it, (which is really the biggest flaw in the game, admittedly.) Don't use an NES advantage as your button presses won't be as accurate. Next time you pop the game in, give it a shot.

OK. Cool. For some reason I had a memory of a left/right press a very short split second before the jump, which was a bitch to time. Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy, though it would seem a simultaneous press would be the logical thing to do, and I seem to remember simultaneous pressing got me owned every time. Hmmm...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    words words words Others that I like are Montezuma's Revenge words words words
    Now that game brings back memories of when I was in 4th grade, playing this game on an Apple LE II computer with this psuedo Atari like joystick with a button on top of the stick as well as a square button on the top left corner. Much of my 4th grade education went into this game, and me and my friends never beat it.

Going back to that made me think of 4 games I played a lot back then - Duck Tales, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Arkista's Ring, and Final Fantasy 1. Back then, in 1992, every day after school was the Disney Afternoon on TV which had both of the first games mentioned, so me and my friends would pop those games in afterward and see if we could finally beat them. Good times. On snow days from school, we would either get rides to one of our friends houses (we alternated each snow day) and we'd play the longer games - Final Fantasy and Arkista's ring. FF is a common game, and I'm sure everyone has played it by now, but Arkista's Ring - you should definitely play it if you haven't. The other 2 are just fun scrollers that I was fond of back then.