Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Threatened By Hackers

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft Threatened By Hackers

It's not easy being Microsoft. Everybody wants to take a shot at you...

There's an interesting article on ZDnet Australia:
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/sec...75810-1,00.htm

I guess a group is claiming that they can run Linux on an unmodded Xbox and will go public with the information if Microsoft doesn't release a Linux boot disc. This technique isn't really new, as we heard about it before, but the threat is. Will Microsoft do anything about it?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm... who cares about running Linux on the Xbox? Why bother? You can just run it on any PC now. What's the point?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Simple, XBOX = cheap PC that doesn't need a monitor. $140 for a used XBOX, $40 or so for a USB keyboard and mouse, $20 for adapters.... $200 gets you a PC that plays XBOX games and runs linux. I'd do it if I hadn't already built two linux boxes of my own.

Plus, if people really go this route for cheap PCs... microsoft will sell a hell of a lot more consoles, but not as much software, causing them to hemmorhage even more money.

Also consider, Billy boy doesn't want anything microsoft to have to do with linux. He's called linux and Open Source software a plauge (or was it disease? it was a year ago...) and has made no bones about his disdain of the GPL license.

-AG

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So MS selling less software and losing more money thus eventually killing the Xbox is viewed as a good thing by you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon
    So MS selling less software and losing more money thus eventually killing the Xbox is viewed as a good thing by you?
    Oh gods yes!

*ahem* Sorry, kneejerk "I-hate-Microsoft" reaction...

You know, just because you run Linux on your XBox doesn't mean you automatically stop buying games for it, each of which gives money to Microsoft.

No one's trying to kill the XBox here man.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Microsoft will probably find some way of forcing people to download a patch that will disable usage of the disc as soon as they try to connect to XBox Live, or something.
    ________
    VOYEUR VIDEOS
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash
    You know, just because you run Linux on your XBox doesn't mean you automatically stop buying games for it, each of which gives money to Microsoft.
    Last time I checked, Microsoft doesn't make money off of the PC version of Counter-Strike. Sales of CS on the XBOX, which is probably supposed to be a killer app for the system, would be dramatically affected if suddenly people had the choice of playing either game's Linux PC port on the XBOX. Some would undoubtedly buy the XBOX version anyways, assuming it would be more stable, but the community would quickly figure out what sort of settings would be necessary to get it running well on the XBOX, if it needed support for a new driver that would probably get hacked in as well. Just speculation, of course, and the PS2 hasn't had similar things happen -- but that doesn't mean it can't or wouldn't.

Yes, this is a problem for MS, but I think that it could be solved through litigation, like it should be. Why aren't these folks threatening Nintendo's GameCube (I know the PS2 has Linux, don't think Nintendo does) in a similar manner?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Why aren't these folks threatening Nintendo's GameCube (I know the PS2 has Linux, don't think Nintendo does) in a similar manner?
    From a strictly specs point of view, what would be the point in running Linux on the GC? I mean, I could see someone doing it just to say they did it, but I doubt you could do much with it even if you got it up and running. Plus there's no HD and you'd have to figure out how to get past the backwards running mini-DVD to load anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I can see their point that the XBOX is really a cut down PC (it is,) but I think it's fair to say that MS isn't taking the heat just because their system is that way. Some of the heat is on just because they're Microsoft -- not to second guess the intentions of the guys who're threatening to do this, but I'm sure lots of people would like to see MS taken down a big notch.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While that's true, the linux geek rhetoric is usually to put linux on anything that moves. I have linux on my PC, my fiancee's PC, and on the Dreamcast. If I could, I'd mod my O2 to be a combination Odyssey 2 and linux box. Hell, it already has the keyboard and the joystick could work as a mouse.

...sort of.

-AG

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    While that's true, the linux geek rhetoric is usually to put linux on anything that moves. I have linux on my PC, my fiancee's PC, and on the Dreamcast. If I could, I'd mod my O2 to be a combination Odyssey 2 and linux box. Hell, it already has the keyboard and the joystick could work as a mouse.

...sort of.

-AG
    Again, why? What's the big thrill of having Linux running on PS2 or Xbox or DC or whatever? Why is this exciting? Just doing it just to say you did it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Again, why? What's the big thrill of having Linux running on PS2 or Xbox or DC or whatever? Why is this exciting? Just doing it just to say you did it?
    Yes, indeed. While an XBOX is supposedly cheaper, there's always the used PC market--700 MHz PCs aren't that rare, though one with a graphics chip that can display as many polygons as the XBOX would be more expensive. In the analysis...no, modifying a system that's not supposed to be modified doesn't sound like a good idea.

Also, why is it that my challenge goes unanswered? Is it not true that people would consider Linux running on the XBOX demeaning to Microsoft? Geez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Oh gods yes!

*ahem* Sorry, kneejerk "I-hate-Microsoft" reaction...

No one's trying to kill the XBox here man.
    If you're running linux on the xbox how are you going to load up the games that were made to run on its old OS?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It would be a boot disc, if Microsoft would release one, that is.

If you did a modification, like I think you're getting at, then yes, good question.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Reason MS is fighting so hard to keep linux off of the Xbox

Once you can run Linux, you can flash the BIOS of the Xbox, which will allow you to bypass the security chip, which means you can play *ahem* backups of current Xbox titles. That's why.

On a non-pirating note, I would love to see linux on the xbox for one reason: Xbox media player. The ability to network to my 200+ gigs of anime and music for viewing on my 40" tv would make this a very worthwhile investment for me. However, MS will simply not do it, and the guys will either release the info or their bluff will be called. Either way, there will be a collective yawn in the community, since vulnerabilities in the Xbox HW have been exploited for months already.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php...03-06-30&res=l

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    On a non-pirating note, I would love to see linux on the xbox for one reason: Xbox media player. The ability to network to my 200+ gigs of anime and music for viewing on my 40" tv would make this a very worthwhile investment for me.
    Non-pirating, eh? So you've legally purchased all 200+ gigs of anime and music then?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ya got me!

However, all (*cough*most*cough*) of my anime is not licensed in the US, and subbed by groups for free distribution. All distribution is halted once a series is licensed for sale in the US. And I have almost all of my MP3s as originals on disc, except for stuff that (again) is either not licensed here in the US, or is not in print.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last time I checked, Microsoft doesn't make money off of the PC version of Counter-Strike. Sales of CS on the XBOX, which is probably supposed to be a killer app for the system, would be dramatically affected if suddenly people had the choice of playing either game's Linux PC port on the XBOX.
    Do all flavors of Linux run on the XBox, or is a special version required? And will Counter-Strike run on any flavor of Linux? If CS will run on any variety, and the XBox will run any Linux, then I see your point, but if not, I stand by what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    If you're running linux on the xbox how are you going to load up the games that were made to run on its old OS?
    Isn't the idea that you'd have a Linux boot disc? In other words, if you want Linux, load it. If you want a game, load it instead. If you overwrite the XBox OS with Linux, then you've obviously made a decision not to run XBox games, but I can't see any gamer doing that unless EVERY XBox game was also available for Linux, which is far from reality.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Well, I can see their point that the XBOX is really a cut down PC (it is,).
    What I don't understand is why so many people *care* that the Xbox is a "Cut Down PC." Why does it make a difference? And would it make a difference if this were Sony or Nintendo or Sega who had decided to do this? In fact, isn't the Dreamcast something of a PC itself? (I don't know for sure either way - but I do know there's a sizable emulation community for it, which suggests the PC link to me).

Does anybody think MS will take a page from the Nintendo book and attempt to use a proprietary format to avoid pirating next time around?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't Microsoft once offer anyone $100,000 if they could get any
    OS to work on the XBOX?