Thread: Most confusing control setup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Most confusing control setup

I'm standing here watching my brother get used to the Metroid Prime controller setup and I remember that until yesterday I frequently still did odd things in that game (though I've only played it a few days). Confusing? Quite, but how about Steel Battalion? I'll step back and see what everybody would say is the most confusing controller setup in a game out there.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oni for PS2 can be tough if you want to execute fancy moves. To be fair, it probably just takes practice that I haven't put in yet. Everybody complains about Gunvalkyrie, but I don't see what the big problem is.

Steel Battalion has a lot of buttons, but most of them are only rarely used. Plus, a few of them start flashing when it's time to for you hit them (cockpit close, ignition, start, viewscreen washing, magazine change, weapon change when you're out of ammo clips). All in all, I think it's more confusing to have to hit combinations of buttons than to have a large number of dedicated function buttons.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    All in all, I think it's more confusing to have to hit combinations of buttons than to have a large number of dedicated function buttons.
    Yes, and that's why Prime is so confusing at times. Getting the grapple beam to work in the first section of the game, for example, isn't very well explained (same way I felt about using the whip in Super CV 4 as a grappling hook; though that one was harder since I didn't realiize you could lengthen it).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All in all, I think it's more confusing to have to hit combinations of buttons than to have a large number of dedicated function buttons.
    I'll second that, and one of the worst offenders is Black Dawn for PSX. Not only is every button used, but all also have a combination. To do simple things, for example to go up and down (this is an arcade helicopter, BTW) you need press X (I think, it's been a while since I've played) and R1 for up or X and R2 for down. Too bad the PSX didn't have a keyboard, this game really could of used one.

Everybody complains about Gunvalkyrie, but I don't see what the big problem is.
    What? I find GunValkyrie to be one of the most controllable 3D platformers out there. I can only guess they were playing the advanced caracter (the guy) before they figured out the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second Gunvalkyrie as a complex set up, but it is very satisfying, and ultimately very maneuverable once you get used to it. But not confusing. For straight up confusing controls, resident evil had me frustrated for awhile.

*curses fixed camera angles under breath*