Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock Infinite Announced

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Bioshock Infinite Announced

Like most, I was a huge fan of the 1st, and unlike many I'm wholly enjoying everything that Bioshock 2 has to offer both online and off.

I never saw this one coming, but after watching the debut trailer multiple times ... turn of the century mechanical flying cities as high in the sky as Rapture was in the deep ocean?

You can count me in son.

As much as I love Rapture, I'm glad that we're not re-treading it for a 3rd go. 2 was enough.

http://kotaku.com/5607451/bioshock-i...into-the-skies
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I like the idea, but it's gonna be weird without the darkness...

It will be weird playing a Bioshock game in a well lit enviornment. The darkness and the dystopian atmosphere was what made the first 2 games so great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I like the idea, but it's gonna be weird without the darkness...

It will be weird playing a Bioshock game in a well lit enviornment. The darkness and the dystopian atmosphere was what made the first 2 games so great.
    Well, as long as the blinds are closed there's no reason to believe that this one can't be as dark.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Actually the trailer kinda made me think that individual rooms would have closed windows, or at least shades over them. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Pretty cool concept. I finished the 1st in a few days, but still haven't bothered to finish the 2nd. This one has me intrigued.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I loved the first two Bioshock games and found them both equally enjoyable, so I'm really anticipating this one. It's nice to see that they took a different route and are doing something new with the series. It is kind of disjointing to hear that it will have no connection to the other games tho, so I'm guessing an appearance by a young Andrew Ryan are out of the question.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I loved the first two Bioshock games and found them both equally enjoyable, so I'm really anticipating this one. It's nice to see that they took a different route and are doing something new with the series. It is kind of disjointing to hear that it will have no connection to the other games tho, so I'm guessing an appearance by a young Andrew Ryan are out of the question.
    Maybe grandpa Ryan?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time. Bioshock 2 is also excellent, but it did feel a bit like a retread (not that I'm complaining. The ambience and atmosphere of the underwater city will probably never get old.) However, it is nice to think about the possibilities with having Ken Levine back in the saddle, and putting the concept in a new environment. I hope they are able to create something as groundbreaking and jaw-dropping as the first game. Being exposed to that for the first time was such a trip. I'm hoping they can duplicate the experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Amazon just sent me an e-mail with an updated release date: January 3rd, 2013.

Amazon attaches placeholder dates to games all the time, but this is an updated date on a placeholder date. Which I've never seen happen before. The Xbox 720 will be out by then...hmmm.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2013? Goddamn that's a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Just picked this up, reviews are very high. Can't wait to dig in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Pre-loaded on Steam and ready to go. The kids are going to bed early tonight.

How long has it been since a AAA title has been so universally lauded? Can't wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

About an hour in, just hit Monument Island, the game still feels a bit hand-holdy and tutorial-y.

The "lottery" scene was a surprise and a great touch.

Atmosphere is great, aesthetics spectacular. I love Troy Baker's voice over work on Booker as he comments on little things here and there.

I feel like I may have powered up a bit much too early thanks to the extra level-up vials that the season pass included, but I'm sure that'll level off soon enough.

So far so good, can't wait to meet Elizabeth!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    About an hour in, just hit Monument Island, the game still feels a bit hand-holdy and tutorial-y.

The "lottery" scene was a surprise and a great touch.

Atmosphere is great, aesthetics spectacular. I love Troy Baker's voice over work on Booker as he comments on little things here and there.

I feel like I may have powered up a bit much too early thanks to the extra level-up vials that the season pass included, but I'm sure that'll level off soon enough.

So far so good, can't wait to meet Elizabeth!
    A bit of a strange one - would you suggest it to someone who though that Bioshock had a great atmosphere but wasn't that much fun to actually play? I like the look of the setting and the world, but the gameplay in Bioshock really bored me after a couple of hours. I'm on the fence as whether to lay my grubby paws on this now or to wait for the price drop.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You know, unlike the first two games, I feel that the game wants you to go one specific way with your moral choices. Especially after the Fraternal Order of the Raven. Previous games didn't tell you how terrible you were until the ending, but this one....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    A bit of a strange one - would you suggest it to someone who though that Bioshock had a great atmosphere but wasn't that much fun to actually play? I like the look of the setting and the world, but the gameplay in Bioshock really bored me after a couple of hours. I'm on the fence as whether to lay my grubby paws on this now or to wait for the price drop.
    While I'm still VERY early into the game, it seems like this one is paced relatively differently than the original Bioshock (it's free on the PS3 disc if you want to do a side-by-side comparison).

Infinite, early on anyway, gives you long stretches of exploratory poking around and observing your environment without having to face off against waves of enemies. When enemies do arrive they're not hiding around corners like they were in Bioshock. No splicer hiding in a toilet stall door jump-scare moments that I've encountered.

There is an imposing feeling of dread surrounding the over-the-top xenophobia and racism in the imagery and situations you encounter in Columbia.

Though, the core of the play mechanics (especially the sound effects) feel distinctly Bioshock-y. I'm not sure whether or not to recommend it as "different" enough to somebody who didn't enjoy the gameplay. The gameplay is pretty similar.

Certainly worth a look or a rent if you have a PS3 or 360 and a Redbox around you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I finished the game yesterday, and it might be my favorite game of this generation. The world was completely engrossing, although I may have preferred the setting of Rapture a *tiny* bit more than Columbia. But the story, the story was incredible. I always felt that the story in BioShock was pretty bad after the plot twist, but here it's gripping up until the end. And that ending sequence is one of the most gorgeous and poignant parts of the whole game. I couldn't go to sleep for like four hours because the end was so crazy and wonderful.

Oh yeah, and the game looks beautiful, even on 360. Beautiful, haunting, and terrifying, especially that sequence at the beginning Frankie mentioned above. Never seen a game address the American history of racism in such a meaningful way.

Looking forward to playing through a second time (something I never do) with the knowledge you gain at the end. And to find the rest of those damn logs and kinetoscopes -- don't know how I missed so many when I thought I was being thorough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Finished it twice, enjoyed it more the second time on 1999 mode. I loved 1 when it came out but this... I found this to be so much better and the story didn't crumble halfway in like the first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Holy fuck. Holy holy fuck. Holy holy fuck fuck fuck.

Just finished it and immediately went and found an infographic detailing ... everything.

What I understand now with greater clarity than I did through the duration of the game is how any and all shortcomings in the design and mechanics of the game can be completely absolved.

The sum total of the story, the end-of-journey and the revelatory knowledge that comes with it all diminish any minor quibbles with anything less-than-perfect that may occur during the "game" proper.

Fucking BRILLIANT.

So much I didn't expect and so SO much to ponder over and examine after the fact.

LOST fans take note, this is a game for the Faraday fans in the house.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Infinite disappointed me. Greatly.

I adored the small touches early, and the contrasts they create. Early on, there is a store based on the honor system. Go down into the Shantytown, and a gun is pulled on you as soon as you walk in the door as a warning. I love the sequence with Elizabeth in the basement as she feeds the child. The world is incredible, with these giant gold statues that segue into a rotting underworld oppressed people. That's interactive fiction at its best.

Then it's shoot, shoot, shoot. Endless shooting. There's no need to poke around and learn about the world. There's more shooting to do. Every encounter feels the same, with no regards to pacing. It's not the violence so much as HOW MUCH violence there is. The game just dies in its own arms.

And the twist? It's the most obvious of the twists the could have chosen, the same one Spec Ops tried to pass off just last year, with the same eye rolling from me. Try this in a film and you would be laughed out of the theater; it's all so preposterous. Infinite didn't need any of these sci-fi elements. It's not brave enough to explore its message thoroughly, and instead hides behind repetitious shooting and its wildly out of place theories.

As I said in my review, "Its best moments never involve a gun."