Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bioshock Infinite Announced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Infinite disappointed me. Greatly.

I adored the small touches early, and the contrasts they create. Early on, there is a store based on the honor system. Go down into the Shantytown, and a gun is pulled on you as soon as you walk in the door as a warning. I love the sequence with Elizabeth in the basement as she feeds the child. The world is incredible, with these giant gold statues that segue into a rotting underworld oppressed people. That's interactive fiction at its best.

Then it's shoot, shoot, shoot. Endless shooting. There's no need to poke around and learn about the world. There's more shooting to do. Every encounter feels the same, with no regards to pacing. It's not the violence so much as HOW MUCH violence there is. The game just dies in its own arms.

And the twist? It's the most obvious of the twists the could have chosen, the same one Spec Ops tried to pass off just last year, with the same eye rolling from me. Try this in a film and you would be laughed out of the theater; it's all so preposterous. Infinite didn't need any of these sci-fi elements. It's not brave enough to explore its message thoroughly, and instead hides behind repetitious shooting and its wildly out of place theories.

As I said in my review, "Its best moments never involve a gun."
    How did you feel about the first / second one? Better? Worse? The same?

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't finished yet but I'm really wondering how this got so many perfect/near perfect scores. Way too linear and just not enough variation in the gameplay. Perhaps I need to start over right now and pace myself through the game.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by misfits859 View Post
    Haven't finished yet but I'm really wondering how this got so many perfect/near perfect scores. Way too linear and just not enough variation in the gameplay. Perhaps I need to start over right now and pace myself through the game.
    Most of the perfect-scoring reviews I've read openly address the technical and design shortcomings and excuse them/pass them in the face of where the game does excel - story, concepts, A.I., characters and aesthetics.

I disagree with the notion that the game's story is predictable, especially the story beats in the final quarter of the game.

Even though I had pieced together where the story was going by that point there were several moments that took me COMPLETELY by surprise.

I do think that the shooting mechanics suffer from the game having gone back to the drawing board several times. It feels like a product that struggled to be tuned and never really became a pitch-perfect shooter.

I think Bioshock 1 was a better paced FPS and Bioshock 2 was EXTREMELY refined in the FPS mechanics of the first game.

Still, I'm with the reviewers that love the complete package. It's imperfect but I love it despite any outright flaws. The good outweighs the bad IMO.

I can't wait to play through a second time now that I know the whole of the story.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    How did you feel about the first / second one? Better? Worse? The same?
    I loved the first one, second one was just sort of there for me.

I think the first is the strongest, but oddly makes the same mistakes if speaking generally. After killing five Big Daddies, they lost all of their luster. Why are they a threat to me anymore? I just killed two of them using a wrench. There's no fear anymore, no presence or weight to their existence.

Infinite's shooting mechanics are the most refined of the series. Great sense of impact, and less chaotic, but there's too much of it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Columbia's atmosphere was much less creepy than Rapture's. Maybe because Rapture had already collapsed and Columbia hadn't, it was getting even stronger?

I don't know.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Columbia's atmosphere was much less creepy than Rapture's. Maybe because Rapture had already collapsed and Columbia hadn't, it was getting even stronger?

I don't know.
    The citizens of Rapture were ugly on the outside, the citizens of Columbia were ugly on the inside.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I just bought a new video card just because of this game. Oddly enough, the new video card came with it for free!
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

So far it's been okay. I don't really feel like its a Bioshock game. Other than the use of the "vigors" it really doesn't have the same feel the other two entries had. Maybe its because like another poster said that Columbia wasn't in a state of degradation. Its interesting and enjoyable yes; but not the best Bioshock ever as some reviews are stating.... Maybe as I get into it more my opinion will change though.

Update:
    I finished the game the other day and other than a little something later in the game (which i will not spoil) I just don't get the same feeling from it that I did with the other two games. I would recommend it as a pickup for anyone who liked the first two remotely but I stand by my statement about it feeling like the other two. It definitely shouldn't be part of the main series.
    Last edited by Robocop2; 04-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.