Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else like me??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone else like me??

I love video games, old and new, but I can only play about 5 hours a month. Seriously, sometimes I go a month without playing. But I still check these forums everyday, and check ebay for good deals at least 3 times a week.

I've been playing Zelda for the Wii and Bioshock for PS3 for the past year and a half and I still haven't finished either of them, but I'm getting close. I did log in about 60 hours over this past winter which helps.

But when you have 3 kids, a wife who thinks video games are a waste of time, what the hell do you do?

I know, I know, get rid of the wife.....Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImBob View Post
    I love video games, old and new, but I can only play about 5 hours a month. Seriously, sometimes I go a month without playing. But I still check these forums everyday, and check ebay for good deals at least 3 times a week.

I've been playing Zelda for the Wii and Bioshock for PS3 for the past year and a half and I still haven't finished either of them, but I'm getting close. I did log in about 60 hours over this past winter which helps.

But when you have 3 kids, a wife who thinks video games are a waste of time, what the hell do you do?

I know, I know, get rid of the wife.....Right?
    Alot of things people do in life are a waste of time.
    But the point of life is to enjoy what you love. [I bet she does a few activities that seem a waste of time too you also]

But yeah I see this starting to happen with me but not because of a Wife and kids But because of my working schedule Im usually too tired when I get off to play and just wanna vegetate or If i do play some games its usually on the weekend for a few hours or maybe 1-2 hours some nights.

Bah these days i can have anything i wanted to have as a kid but finding the time and energy thats another thing...
    Last edited by ZombieK; 08-12-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still love video games and when I got a job within the industry I was thinking I had struck gold. By my calculations I would be spending 14 hours of gaming related stuff per day!

But... by the time I get home from work at night I can't even look at video games without getting a little repulsed. My PS2 crapped out and I don't even care. I spend time searching the web for Saturn games that I'll never actually play. When they arrive, I just shove them in a box. Sometimes I worry that the used Saturn discs I'm collecting don't even work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm the same, but with only two kids (the oldest of which is 4). I've pretty much abandoned modern console gaming, seems you need at least a couple hours to really get into most games these days and I don't have that much consecutive free time. Mostly my gaming tends to be portable with games that don't need much more than 15 or 20 minutes to get a good session in. Sometimes I play at night before bed (instead of reading a book) and sometimes I just keep my DS in the bathroom above the toilet. Instead of my usual magazine while sitting on the john, I'm now playing Big Bang Mini [insert National Lampoon's Vacation 'asteroids' joke].

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gaara_Of_the_Sand's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont play games anymore aside from maybe once a year or so that a new zelda/sonic/pokemon/call of duty comes out.

I still collect consoles as a hobby though, Its fun to do and they make great convo pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Play the games w/ your kids, & get a DS, PSP, or other mobile system to play at work (assuming you leave home to work.)

Oh, & my nongamer wife loves (& only plays) Wii Mario Party 8.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Most men in this situation tend to be complete chodes and when the wife says she doesn't want said husband playing, then most men will give it up cause they think that they will never be able to find someone else. Seriously, your significant other should allow you to be you. Any other woman is a waste of your time.

But you have 3 kids which explodes the responsibility. So if you just don't have time, then you just don't have time. You're kids come first; however, as children grow up, you won't have to dedicate as much time to them as they won't want to spend every waking minute with you (they need space too - you shouldn't use TV as a substitute for responsibility, but you shouldn't be spending time with them if they're doing school work).

If the problem is your wife, it sounds like you have a clinger. Tell her to back off a bit and let you have a little space. If you come back and say what I bet you'll say which is 'lol, I can't do that,' then you're just being a pussy. I bet you wouldn't tell your wife not to engage in her hobbies. Though losing her would be bad since you'd probably wind up paying mounds of child support for those kids.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

a wife who thinks video games are a waste of time, what the hell do you do?
    It's time to bitch slap the wife.. or try to find something she likes.

Does your wife like to read? If so why don't you tell her that it's a waste of time. Playing an RPG is somewhat the same as reading a book. You could always try to get her into one of those. Start with something like FF10, which sucks, but has a girly storyline.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I don't have kids but with my ex I would get up early before work to get in an hour or so of gaming before heading out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure if I like you; you haven't been here very long yet.

Wait, what was this thread about?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I'm not sure if I like you; you haven't been here very long yet.

Wait, what was this thread about?
    Your very annoying. I wouldn't say get rid of the wife, Just make her accept it. You should have known this before you married her obviously.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingking View Post
    Your very annoying.
    You're sense of humor need's work.

I'll sometimes go long periods without much gaming, while still checking the forums every day. Even if you consider gaming as a part of your life, it's still only one part - so, you just try to balance things out as best you can, stay at least tangentially involved by going to places like this, and play when you can.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'm not really a "gamer" but I am a video game collector. I'd rather read about a game, watch a review, go to the swap meet and find a game, than play it. Once every other week I'll maybe play a game, unless a friend comes over, and maybe we'll play some co-op games. I watch tv and movies all the time. I used to be in a situation where my ex gave me an ultimatum where I had to choose either the games or her, and I told her "I had the games before you, and I'll have them after you." I called her bluf, and we were still together for a while after that, but now it's just me and the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I told her "I had the games before you, and I'll have them after you." I called her bluf, and we were still together for a while after that, but now it's just me and the games.
    Which is exactly what I've told people I've dated previously. Well actually it was about certain friends of mine they didn't like and I gave them the "They were here before you and they'll be here after you".
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Let this problem be a lesson to those not married yet. Make sure that your future wife supports your hobbies and interests. She doesn't have to like them but atleast she should allow them to continue after the marriage without any resentment. The same should apply to her hobbies (my wife likes scrapbooking which I find extremely boring but I support her pursuit of it). Personal hobbies are good to relieve life stress and this is ALWAYS good for a marriage. Wow, I'm starting to sound like my father
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Berserker;1754628]You're sense of humor need's work.

I'll sometimes go long periods without much gaming, while still checking the forums every day. Even if you consider gaming as a part of your life, it's still only one part - so, you just try to balance things out as best you can, stay at least tangentially involved by going to places like this, and play when you can.[/QUOte

You need work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'd lean toward keeping the family, games are just...games, a hobby. I'm in your boat but w/ 2 boys, & games will be a part of their life. Just this week I've been showing them Atari 2600 games.

But I had to make some decisions about my gaming, as do you. I traded/sold LOTS of my stuff, & it's pretty much where I want it now, though I could get rid of more. & I dumped 99% of my M-rated games (already played thru them). My kids'll find out about those soon enough w/out my help.

I wouldnt consider a PS3 a "family" console, but thats your deal. The Wii is def. family-friendly, choose some kid- (& wife)- friendly multiplayr games. I cant imagine your wife disliking you keeping the kids busy w/ a few games- as long as thats not ALL they do- but again, thats your business not mine.

Again, get a DS (I have one) or PSP for yourself. A nice thing about DS is during a game if you have to go do something kid/wife/family-related, close it & the game pauses, & you can pick right up where you left off. I think thats true for all DS games. Plus you can hide in the bathroom for privacy & play- no one needs to know what you're doing in there.

Long story short: what Ro-J said, above. ^^^
    Last edited by RJ; 08-13-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why are you guys making it all about the wife? He said she thinks they're a waste of time, not that she ever told he couldn't play. Yes, they ARE a waste of time, along with the other hobbies people mentioned like reading, watching tv, etc. That's what they were designed to do - kill time. Pretty much anything could be qualified as a waste of time if it isn't something that improves your lot in life, right? And that little bit about the 3 kids is way more significant than anything else. Three kids are a lot to care for, especially depending on age, and they need care all day, EVERY day. At least you're still getting some play time in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice, so where is the after-children photo?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives