Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Hypothetical question?

Inspired by another thread, let me pose this question. I think something similar has been done before, but with so many new people in here, I'm kinda curious as to what people's answers are.

You're in Gamestop and a young kid walks in with a stack of NES games. Most of the carts are pretty common, but then you see it, Stadium Events. Your palms start to get clammy, you start drooling. The employee is totaling the carts up and shoots the kid a pretty low figure.

What do you do?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same thing a friend once did who at the time worked for
    Funcoland. Offer the kid more money.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. Offer the kid more money. There's more Gamespots and GameCrazys around here than I can shake with a dead cat or something. If I got the cart and then got kicked out and told never to come back because of it, I'd just cry crocodile tears for six months until the staff turned over again.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since their price for Stadium Events is $0.89 or something ridiculously low like that, you could just wait until he's done paying the kid and buy it. Unless of course, the employee knows what it's really worth.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Unless of course, the employee knows what it's really worth.
    Which is why you never see anything too rare in GS. The employees probably know what's what. I'd offer the kid whatever it takes to make him happy. I'd get kicked out of the GS. I'd begin going to one of the other - let's see - *7* used game stores within 5 miles of my current location.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I would hit the kid in the back of the head with a magazine rack, then throw some magazines at the cashier....grab the stadium events and run like hell screaming, there all over me..there all over me. And tip over a couple of store displays to make a mess and confuse people.

OR

I'd off the kid more money and it really wouldn't bother me to get kicked out of gamestop. For a Stadium Events it would be well worth it.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I offered a kid money for games once at a Funcoland..He had brought in a stack of Misc games and tried to trade them in for credit to buy a new game..He needed $20.00 to buy the game he wanted..and was very unhappy when the amount they quoted him wasn't enough,nearly enough..

So as he turned away ready to leave unhappy..I offered him the $20.00 for the games...man was he happy...I made his day..The counter clerk did give me a dirty look like I could give a (.......)
    The kid wasn't taking the offer from them and was going home..
    So I didn't step in-between...
    The kid proceded to buy the game he wanted from them..
    So they still got a sale...
    I really don't understand why they gave me that look unless they just don't have a heart...the kid wasn't taking their cheap offer anyway..

I had a similar situation at a Software etc..
    A guy came in with a never used,unopened,boxed,older version Sega CD with several games unopened. ...He wanted/needed $25.00 to buy a new game..
    I wanted this boxed Sega CD and games bad..I got sweaty and nervous..
    I was ready to ask him,but hesitating,.. then he went up to the counter..I was ready to leave but I stayed around to eavesdrop on what he was offered.

He was offered $15.00 and was short on cash to buy his new game there..
    As he turned around I jumped in and said right in front of the employee..I'll give you the $25.00..
    He was happy..and the employee was really cool about it...I got what I wanted,the guy got his game and the store made a sale.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

[quote="dave2236"]I would hit the kid in the back of the head with a magazine rack, then throw some magazines at the cashier....grab the stadium events and run like hell screaming, there all over me..there all over me. And tip over a couple of store displays to make a mess and confuse people.

OR

I'd off the kid more money and it really wouldn't bother me to get kicked out of gamestop. For a Stadium Events it would be well worth it..

Curious..Is there a law against this or something..
    What would this be called..?
    I got thrown out of a video game store for.................?

And yes, I would offer the kid money for it..or the games..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there actually IS a law about it. Something to do with doing business on someone else's business premises without permission. You can get in trouble for it, but i doubt it would hold up well in court for a place like gamestop. Try it in a pawn shop and you're likely to get hurt by the proprietor though...I've been kicked out of a pawn for that and the owner was PISSED.

But I'd do the same thing...and most stores like gamestop won't kick you out. Privately owned stores sure as hell will tho.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'd probably offer the kid a much larger amount than the store's credit. Or, depending on my mood, I might just tell the kid that Stadium Events is worth hundreds of dollars. I really don't care about owning SE, so I wouldn't mind letting the kid know how valuable it is.

On the other hand, if the kid had a copy of Battle Mania 2, I'd offer him (or maybe her) ten bucks, tell whatever lies it took to seal the deal, and then run screaming from the store with game in hand.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was in Funco Land a few years back, and a guy came in trying to trade in a few dozen SMS games. Obviously, they wouldn't take them, so I bought most of them from the guy right there in the middle of the store. It was great.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey im only 14 so you would try to scalp that game off of me? Not a chance. :P

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

...when I worked at Gamestop, the employees themselves would do this as long as the customer was NOT going to make the trade in. If you're in the Northeast region, you'd be ok.

Also, most of the people that work in the region near me have no clue about classic gaming rarity. I make sure to take advantage of this as much as possible. Same people who consider Zelda rare. heh.

-AG