Thread: 8 Bits of Wisdom

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 8 Bits of Wisdom

Hey guys... sorry to be the new guy doing self-promotion, but I am really trying to find an audience. This looks like a great outlet. I'm writing a book that is a (hopefully hilarious) look at video games from the old school, contrasted against real life situations. I would go into detail, but there is actually a video and description on the website. I would love any feedback anyone has.

8 Bits of Wisdom

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a neat idea. Good luck with it.

I'm wondering how long each "lesson" will be, though. Are they all 1-2 paragraph nuggets of wisdom, or are there longer, more in-depth stories as well?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The lessons/games will be divided up so that each one has its own chapter. The collections of chapters will be organized under different categories. For example, one section might be "Relationships," with "Ex-Girlfriends" and "Stalking" under that heading. Each chapter will be at least a couple of pages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Doesn't "fair use" permit some usage of screenshots? I wouldn't know offhand.

Anyway, there is, I fear, very little that is new under the sun. I myself have waxed poetically about the parallels between real life and a JRPG. You might have something here if you can pull off the presentation well enough, I suppose, and given that your video isn't nearly as obnoxious as some of the other stuff out there (and that you've amassed so much money already...), maybe you can.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 08-31-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(Sorry - this was a double-post. Not sure how to delete it, but I'm looking into clearing this eyesore.)
    Last edited by schindler; 08-31-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure about using screenshots, but I will definitely look a little deeper into it. Copyright law is very tricky, and you truly don't have any clear rights under the "fair use" umbrella. "Fair use" is really just a case you can try to make after you've been sued for infringement.

You're right that there isn't much new under the sun... but I like to think I have the writing style to pull this off in an original way. If not, then I do think the parallels I make are not as obvious or literal as what you may be thinking. Or, you could be absolutely right! I will be trying very hard to put out something fresh and original, though... even if it is based on games that were made decades ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought of another one today... Sometimes life is like Mortal Kombat, and you just have to put away the fancy tricks and keep jump-kicking over and over again to achieve victory.

And sometimes life is like, oh, Tekken 3: when faced with a difficult opponent, you just have to close your eyes and mash on the buttons like crazy, and sometimes you just might come out ahead in the end.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

I'm not really sure how book distribution works. But you should look into getting your books into Urban Outfitters. I'm not a very fashionable person, but my girlfriend shops there a lot and when she does I read the ridiculous books that they have lying around for sale. Books about what your poo means based on size, shape and color, the F*** My Life excerpt book, etc. They all sort of take a serious subject and make fun of it while still pretending to be serious. What Video Games Taught Me About Life sounds like it would fit right in.

Unfortunately, you might need more than $3000 to pull that off. Maybe not, like I said I don't know anything about book distribution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That end boss in Phoenix was awesome at the time.
    Last edited by tom; 09-10-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jor - sounds like you've got the right idea

Raptor - you're right that $3000 will not be enough. I am just trying to raise that much to assist me in funding the entire thing. Based on the costs I've worked out, I'm looking at probably twice that amount... maybe more. But I have a couple of credit cards to help me get to where I need to be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by schindler View Post
    But I have a couple of credit cards to help me get to where I need to be
    Ooh! It's just like selling bonds in SimCity 2000 until your interest payments exceed your city's revenue so you can neither build anymore nor possibly pay them back!