Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why people dont know about MetalStorm ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default why people dont know about MetalStorm ?

So...

Recently as a gift i was given a copy of the game metalstorm for the nes.
    Now, the person who gave it to me just turned 19 and dosent know anything about old school games. Being a close family member she looked over my pitifully small collection ,took notes then looked for good nes games on you tube and google.

Weeks later im unwraping the game...

Thing is i had never heard of it. I cleaned it up( as I always do games that come from the wild)poped it in and hit the switch.I was stunned by how good it was... The music,controls and graphics were perfect the game play is awesome. I thought whole gravity thing was pretty original and fun!

But why didint me or any of my friends hear about this game back in 90?
    None of my budys... not one... ever heard of it. After some research i found it even made the cover of nintendo power way back when. I cant belive this didint become a huge hit with a bunch of sequels...

So guys...any thoughts?
    Last edited by hellraiser; 09-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

such a great game. I am also surprised that their is not more love for this game it is definitely one of the NES's best.
    SEGA!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQ0LIJ3jzU

I loooooved it back in the day. It didn't see too wide of a release at all, outside of that magazine I don't remember seeing anything on TV about it. The timeframe it came out had some pretty stiff competition, and the game is hard as heck if memory serves.

Irem didn't seem to have much luck sometimes- but man did they sure make alot of gems.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Back then, you usually had to make purchasing decisions based on screen shots, both on the back of the box and in magazines. Well, go today and look at a screen shot of Metal Storm. It looks very unimpressive, almost a puke color. We know today the game plays well, but back then, as a kid in the gaming aisle at Toys R Us starring at the back of the box, I think I would have bought something else.

In addition, I think the game got lost in the clutter. Maybe Irem didn't have much of a promotional budget, and maybe they didn't get good coverage in Nintendo Power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

One of my favorites back in the day. I don't think we ever owned it(I still don't), but we rented it several times. I also remember none of my friends at the time knowing what it was. Pretty strange phenomenon.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I had ONE friend that had the game, I played it a bit, loved it, but didn't end up getting it for myself until many years later (last year, actually).

The 2nd loop is pretty tough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

All good reasons why it was overlooked here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played and loved it back in the day at a friends house, and I've had my own personal copy now for over 10 years. Awesome game, will never get rid of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True story:

Metalstorm was really hard to find used. I found it for sale in an old NES bin at Blockbuster (in California, on vacation) and took it home (to Vancouver, Canada) and when I popped it in my NES, the game that showed up on my screen was Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt!!!!

Someone had taken the time to undo the security screws of the Metalstorm cart and swap in the SMB board, they wanted it that bad. There was nothing I could do but sell it to a pawn shop and hope they wouldn't test it out while I was there.

Anyway, with an awesome anime box cover like that, how could you possibly pass it up at Toys 'R Us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only reason I know about the game is due to the HVGN. I found it two years ago though at a game shop for $5 and I've loved playing it. The strange thing was my dad actually remembered playing the game and liking it.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dunno what you are talking about. Anyone with a Nintendo Power subscription, which should have been everyone playing NES at the time, knew about this game. When I saw this thread, I assumed you were talking about some other "Metal Storm" game, since it obviously couldn't be the NES game that was so obscure.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I owned this game.

I bought it on the cheap sometime in 1992, but I don't think I could ever beat the game.

I sold it off some years later when I thinned out my NES collection.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Queen_Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Dunno what you are talking about. Anyone with a Nintendo Power subscription, which should have been everyone playing NES at the time, knew about this game. When I saw this thread, I assumed you were talking about some other "Metal Storm" game, since it obviously couldn't be the NES game that was so obscure.

[Image Removed]
    Just because something hit Nintendo Power's cover didn't mean it sold too well or became very well known. We can take another good NES game like Felix the Cat for example. Despite its cover appearance, no one seemed to notice that Felix both existed and was good until well after the NES era was over. The same applies to Metal Storm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For some reason this game makes me think of Metal Warriors for the SNES. But I guess mecha + "Metal" in the title isn't so uncommon really!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In Monterrey, Mexico this game was a hit. We love that kind of game and you could easily find one brand new or used in its time.

I remember playing this gem with my friends and 2 neighbors from my block had the game too, pretty intense and fun, IREM stuff
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe F View Post
    Just because something hit Nintendo Power's cover didn't mean it sold too well or became very well known. We can take another good NES game like Felix the Cat for example. Despite its cover appearance, no one seemed to notice that Felix both existed and was good until well after the NES era was over. The same applies to Metal Storm.
    Er... the NES era was over in 1992 when Felix the Cat was released. That's probably why no one cared.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because it's a generic title that sounds like a hundred other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, the gameplay that the person posted looks alot like Metal Warriors for SNES, which is an amazing game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Dunno what you are talking about. Anyone with a Nintendo Power subscription, which should have been everyone playing NES at the time, knew about this game.
    Yeah. I can't believe how many people don't know about Metal Storm. My brother and I got a NES shortly after it came out and naturally, a Nintendo Power subscription.

Once Metal Storm was featured in NP it seemed everyone I knew had rented it, or bought it and everyone seemed to love it. Its also one of the first console games that I ever saw had parallax scrolling, even if it was faked, and other people I have met have said the same thing.

Metal Storm was a very memorable game for many reasons and chances are if you were a NES kid of the ere then you knew about Metal Storm.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?