Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Scart for my consoles but want to make sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buying Scart for my consoles but want to make sure

This is the Converter I would need right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-RGB-YUV-Co...item4cf1161648

Also, since I have to buy an American power Adapter (it comes with european as stated in the auction), should I buy the one he is selling for $10 or is it cheaper to buy at Radioshack?

Also, which scart cables would I need for my Genesis Model 2 and Sega Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

this site has scart cables for the genesis, neo geo, saturn and snes

i would also pick up a cheap scart switchbox with audio out.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the SCART switch box I purchased. It has audio out so you can hook it up to your sound system. http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Way-Scart-Sele...50875375709544

I bought the same CVS287 and added the $10 power adapter. A 12 Volt power adapter will run you about $24 at Radioshack.

As for the Genesis Model 2, look for a MegaDrive Model 2/32x/CDX cable. On the Saturn just look for a Saturn SCART cable. ConsoleGoods has both of them for the price I got my SNES and MegaDrive cables for off eBay.

One more thing,be sure to have a component cable and a stereo audio cable.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavica View Post
    This is the Converter I would need right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-RGB-YUV-Co...item4cf1161648

Also, since I have to buy an American power Adapter (it comes with european as stated in the auction), should I buy the one he is selling for $10 or is it cheaper to buy at Radioshack?

Also, which scart cables would I need for my Genesis Model 2 and Sega Saturn?
    I got my saturn rgb scart cable from the electric quarter, and my genesis and snes (special NTSC order, this seller's snes cable is normally wired for PAL) ones from pcenginesales on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/pcenginesales . She also sells some scart switches but I didn't see any with separate audio out.
    Sometimes the switches found on ebay can be hit or miss - I'm normally wary of any that don't explicitly mention RGB support but if alec006 is OK with that one, I wouldn't worry.

You made sure your tv supports 240p on the component inputs, right (if you are using the component inputs on a CRT, disregard this)? If you need to test, try some ps1 games in a ps2 w/ component cables, or a virtual console nes game on a wii w/ component cables (wii should probably NOT be set to output progressive scan).
    Last edited by Zapf; 09-05-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gameboy415's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gameb0y415
    PSN
    Gameboy415

Once I get a better TV I'm interested in connecting my consoles via Scart too.
    Would this set up work with American consoles connecting to an American TV?

Consoles (SNES, Genesis w/SEGA CD and 32x, US and JP Saturn)
    l
    RGB and AV Scart cable (from Consolegoods.co.uk)
    l
    4 Way Scart Selector Switch SLx Gold AV Switcher Box (eBay)
    l
    SCART RGB to YUV Component Video Converter,Transcoder (eBay)
    l
    Component Cable to TV, Audio Cable to Sound System

Am I missing anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    I got my saturn rgb scart cable from the electric quarter, and my genesis and snes (special NTSC order, this seller's snes cable is normally wired for PAL) ones from pcenginesales on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/pcenginesales . She also sells some scart switches but I didn't see any with separate audio out.
    Sometimes the switches found on ebay can be hit or miss - I'm normally wary of any that don't explicitly mention RGB support but if alec006 is OK with that one, I wouldn't worry.

You made sure your tv supports 240p on the component inputs, right (if you are using the component inputs on a CRT, disregard this)? If you need to test, try some ps1 games in a ps2 w/ component cables, or a virtual console nes game on a wii w/ component cables (wii should probably NOT be set to output progressive scan).
    Yea that's actually where I got my SNES and Genesis cables. She's very nice and helps you choose which ones to buy. Ask for 240i,yes most CRT's should support it,mine does but it is fairly new,sucks it doesn't support 480p thou. And yes the selector box does output RGB SCART thankfully. It's not too bad of a box,but there are far better ones out there if you wanna spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy415 View Post
    Once I get a better TV I'm interested in connecting my consoles via Scart too.
    Would this set up work with American consoles connecting to an American TV?

Consoles (SNES, Genesis w/SEGA CD and 32x, US and JP Saturn)
    l
    RGB and AV Scart cable (from Consolegoods.co.uk)
    l
    4 Way Scart Selector Switch SLx Gold AV Switcher Box (eBay)
    l
    SCART RGB to YUV Component Video Converter,Transcoder (eBay)
    l
    Component Cable to TV, Audio Cable to Sound System

Am I missing anything?
    Nope doesn't look like it. Just be sure to make sure its NTSC compatible.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    Yea that's actually where I got my SNES and Genesis cables. She's very nice and helps you choose which ones to buy. Ask for 240i,yes most CRT's should support it,mine does but it is fairly new,sucks it doesn't support 480p thou. And yes the selector box does output RGB SCART thankfully. It's not too bad of a box,but there are far better ones out there if you wanna spend the money.

Nope doesn't look like it. Just be sure to make sure its NTSC compatible.
    I wasn't trying to imply a crt wouldn't support 240p, I was more referring to a lot of lcd tvs that, while they do support 480i, they choke on 240p.

If you happen to have one of those and still want to do the RGB thing, there is a cheap, good RGB scart -> hdmi converter /upscaler out there called the lenkeng lk360 - you can get it for the same price as the RGB scart -> component transcoder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right,I was just agreeing with your statement about CRT's supporting 240i/p.

Ask for the HDMI upscaler, it does make things easier with one cable and easy HDMI convience but,the upscaling to 720p is what ruins the sharpness of RGB.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your input is getting upscaled regardless on an lcd/plasma, whether its the box doing it or your tv's internal upscaler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    Your input is getting upscaled regardless on an lcd/plasma, whether its the box doing it or your tv's internal upscaler.
    True,least CRT's only upscale to 480 so it doesn't look too bad. Being an audio/videophile I do strongly believe that classic games should be played on a CRT or RGB monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use this switcher for some of my consoles as well. It works well, and with its output piped into my Pelican System Selector Pro via breakout cable I save on inputs.

True,least CRT's only upscale to 480 so it doesn't look too bad. Being an audio/videophile I do strongly believe that classic games should be played on a CRT or RGB monitor.
    I agree with this for the most part (I run RGB into Sony PVMs) but it seems LCDs/Plasmas get a bit of a bad rap for classic gaming. With a good scaler like an XRGB2/3 the result is pretty fantastic.

Also.. I don't think 240i is a proper term for low res signals, it's 240p.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CRTs dont really upscale - they have no native resolution, crt technology allows them to draw their max resolution the same way they draw their lowest resolution (with more or less lines being drawn obv). Here is more info on game resolutions and stuff - http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

edit: oh I guess you might call 480i crt tvs being fed a 240p signal sorta upscaled. Only 240 lines are being drawn though.
    Last edited by Zapf; 09-07-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi View Post
    I use this switcher for some of my consoles as well. It works well, and with its output piped into my Pelican System Selector Pro via breakout cable I save on inputs. I agree with this for the most part (I run RGB into Sony PVMs) but it seems LCDs/Plasmas get a bit of a bad rap for classic gaming. With a good scaler like an XRGB2/3 the result is pretty fantastic.

Also.. I don't think 240i is a proper term for low res signals, it's 240p.
    The XRGB-2 is something I would love to get for an LCD since it's converting it to VGA and its only up-scaling to 640x480 at 31khz right? Also yes true it is 240p,although I have heard of certain consoles doing integrated scan modes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapf;
    CRTs dont really upscale - they have no native resolution, crt technology allows them to draw their max resolution the same way they draw their lowest resolution (with more or less lines being drawn obv). Here is more info on game resolutions and stuff - http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/
    Thanks for link,I always thought that CRT's at least computer or RGB monitors not TV's had a "native" or recommended resolution like a 15 inch iMac CRT, it's max resolution is 1024x768. I'm sure it could display something higher but,it starts looking bad and blurry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The XRGB-2 is something I would love to get for an LCD since it's converting it to VGA and its only up-scaling to 640x480 at 31khz right?
    Basically so yes. They perform very well with 4:3 resolution signals, and have a simulated scanline mode as well, for us CRT purists. I know that the XRGB3 can do 4:3 or 16:9 modes interchangeably, I don't own either unit so couldn't tell you if the 2/2+ can as well.
    Last edited by Arasoi; 09-07-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See my link here where I have tested my systems and AC adapter reccomendation:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3580.0

I also use SCART cables for all my systems, and I have 3 (soon to be 4, since I got my SCART/RGB French 7800, intellivision and colecovision systems) 4-way SCART switchers (which have VGA on the end of them, which are hooked up to my 6-way VGA switcher along with my dreamcast, gamecube).

Here's my current setup:
    Last edited by eastbayarb; 09-07-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayarb View Post
    SCART/RGB French 7800, intellivision and colecovision systems)
    I've read these systems (specifically the Intel/Coleco ones) are 50hz output only, could you confirm/deny? I know the French 7800 has an RGB encoder board that takes the chroma/luma and transcodes it into RGB. The same could be accomplished via a standard 7800 svideo mod with a small IC to transcode S-video to RGB (though considering none of the 7800s have "native" RGB output, I question why.)
    Last edited by Arasoi; 09-07-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bend

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayarb View Post
    See my link here where I have tested my systems and AC adapter reccomendation:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3580.0

I also use SCART cables for all my systems, and I have 3 (soon to be 4, since I got my SCART/RGB French 7800, intellivision and colecovision systems) 4-way SCART switchers (which have VGA on the end of them, which are hooked up to my 6-way VGA switcher along with my dreamcast, gamecube).

Here's my current setup:
    Hey do you still have that slight bend in the top right corner? If you resolved, let me know what you did, I have still yet to resolve that issue and tested it on a SNES and Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Mitsubshi monitor,wow it's been awile since I've seen one of those. The only bad thing about those silver switch boxes is that,well mine dosen't have switches at all so I can only have one thing on at a time. I really would like to have a JS965 by Joytech but they seem to be hard to find.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staxx View Post
    Hey do you still have that slight bend in the top right corner? If you resolved, let me know what you did, I have still yet to resolve that issue and tested it on a SNES and Dreamcast.
    No, I haven't resolved that yet, nor do I know how to solve it. I really don't see a slight bend that much. I do however see some discoloration on the top right, but it's not that noticeable when you actually play. When you aren't playing, and when the screen is blue (when there is not signal), on the top right I see a light red spot.

A Mitsubshi monitor,wow it's been awile since I've seen one of those. The only bad thing about those silver switch boxes is that,well mine dosen't have switches at all so I can only have one thing on at a time. I really would like to have a JS965 by Joytech but they seem to be hard to find.
    Mine does have a selector button, and it is very convenient. I got it for pretty cheap on ebay (VGA switch boxes with more than say, 3 or 4 inputs are much more expensive). It helps because 3 of the VGA inputs are for each of my 4-way SCART switchers, one is for Dreamcast, another for Gamecube, and one left over that I sometimes use for testing a PC.
    Last edited by eastbayarb; 09-08-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staxx View Post
    I had a similar problem on the snes whenever the screen got especially bright, I resolved it by increasing the capacitance on the r, g, b lines