Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Console Cleaners

Many years ago, third and first party cleaners were abundant for classic console cleaning. I specially liked third party cleaners, since many of them were universal and not console specific. I recall getting a few from EBGames, Doc's, High Frequency (Toys R Us?), etc

However, getting a hold on these cleaners are a pain. At one point, Ebay was flooded with these cleaners, but naive as I am, I decided not to get any because I thought they would always be around. It's a mistake I am now regretting.

Yes, there are a few listed on Ebay, but many of those have been previously used. Some look in perfect condition, but the posibility of it being a stock picture is probable.

Is there a place where I can still get these kits at an affordable price? I am searching for something like this:

If not, I would like to know of the material used in the system wands themselves, such as this one:

I know it's an abrasive material, but what is it exactly? I would love to either create my own cleaning wands and/or restore old wands with new material.

Many will say that compressed air works great, but I noticed it won't really remove grime if it's really stuck in the contacts. A tooth brush doesn't remove much either and at least in my opinion, may actually cause more damage. Not to sure, though.

I recall these wands cleaning quite a bit, after using a drop of their cleaning solution (alcohol based).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I have a few cleaning kits from Gemini that I really like, I came across several of them years ago at a flea market and bought a handful of them. I'm still using the first one and it's still working great. I have a few first party cleaning kits too but I really don't use them. I don't know where you can get them now, but they are definitely good to have if you can find them.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The material on the end of those cleaning wands was the consistency of vellum paper with an ultra micro abrasive adhered to it.

Unfortunately I'm not certain what it was, but it actually would visibly pull oxidation (or whatever the correct term is, I know there's always conjecture) off of console cartridge pin-sets. There was visible evidence left behind.

These days if it's ever needed I use a non-conductive contact/circuit board cleaner. They usually come in a can with a plastic straw small enough to get between the pins. Something like this:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Hercules-35...-oz-aersol-can

And to clean cartridge contacts I use "Sheila Shine" It's an awesome non conductive metal polish that makes cartridge game pins shine brighter than when they were brand new.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Pro...aspx?SKU=18984

There are tons of equivalent options out there ... but it's a shame that no company makes the classic style cartridge cleaners like they used to...there's still a market for the stuff and those systems are as old and in need of it as they ever were!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Thanks for the recommendation!

How exactly can I use the contact cleaner on cart slots? Do you apply it to a thin surface and scrape away? Or do you spray directly to the connector slot?

What about slot cleaners that are not wands? Like the official Genesis/NES ones? Do they actually work?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The best cleaners I ever remember coming across were some of the last ones I saw in stores. The brand was Recotion.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]