Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Scariest game I have EVER played.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Scariest game I have EVER played.

I can't play this game anymore tonight. I just screamed loud enough to wake my girlfriend up. I'm posting this instead of going back to the game, because I'm certain that if I keep playing, I'm going to have trouble sleeping.

I've been through every Silent Hill, Siren, Resident Evil, and Clock Tower ever produced, but they don't have anything on Amnesia. It's by the guys who made the Penumbra games, it's twenty bucks on Steam and elsewhere, and anyone interested in having a game genuinely scare them should go buy it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting - but since I'm a pu**y who was too scared to play FEAR 2, I'm not sure it's a good idea before buying adult diapers...
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

It looks like more of the same from Frictional Games. The presentation looks good and it might be scary, but I've got the Penumbra trilogy and just couldn't get into the games. The interface is just too off to make gameplay fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. I'll have to check this one out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I can't play this game anymore tonight. I just screamed loud enough to wake my girlfriend up. I'm posting this instead of going back to the game, because I'm certain that if I keep playing, I'm going to have trouble sleeping.

I've been through every Silent Hill, Siren, Resident Evil, and Clock Tower ever produced, but they don't have anything on Amnesia. It's by the guys who made the Penumbra games, it's twenty bucks on Steam and elsewhere, and anyone interested in having a game genuinely scare them should go buy it now.
    Sweet glad to hear it! I LOVE scary games and just got this!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    It looks like more of the same from Frictional Games. The presentation looks good and it might be scary, but I've got the Penumbra trilogy and just couldn't get into the games. The interface is just too off to make gameplay fun.
    I too have the Penumbra games and had difficulty getting into them. Unlike Penumbra, though, where a lot of the puzzles were fetch quests and the like, Amnesia uses its physics engine to much greater effect.

For example, there's one point in the game where you have to cross a flooded chamber dotted with crates and the like. In the room with you is an invisible enemy who can only track you by the splashes you make: this is also the only way to track HIM.

So what I did was stand on a crate, practically crapping myself, until the beastie was far enough away for me to crouch off my crate, grab a smaller crate floating next to it, and precariously perch it on the crate I had recently vacated. I carefully crept over to another safety floater and waited for the smaller crate to tip and fall into the water, causing the monster to freak out and charge over. In the brouhaha, I ran like Hell for the exit.

I swear to God, if more adventure games did stuff like this, I'd play a lot more of them. In another section I was running from something horrible and slammed a door behind me, grabbed a big chair and rammed it against the door, buying myself a few seconds to duck into another room and hide in the closet. It wasn't until the thing had left and I continued on my way that I realized that I'd grabbed the chair without even thinking about it: it wasn't really a 'puzzle': it was just the natural thing to do.

Give it a chance, good sir: check out the demo if there is one. I think you might be surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Now that it's on sale on Steam for 50% off, I think I'll pick this up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

wow! I watched the little intro and I could really feel myself getting into it! I will definitely be picking this up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    For example, there's one point in the game where you have to cross a flooded chamber dotted with crates and the like. In the room with you is an invisible enemy who can only track you by the splashes you make: this is also the only way to track HIM.
    That kind of reminds me of Enemy Zero, where you basically had to fight an invisible enemy and the only way you could track them was with a device that beeped faster and faster the closer you got. I didn't get very far in it since the whole invisible foe aspect always scared the shit out of me, because even with the device you didn't know exactly where they were, just that they were very close.

So consider me intrigued now, I couldn't get into Penumbra at all, but this sounds like something I'd actually like.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I started to watch that review, but I stopped about a minute in. I'm not sure if I'd call them spoilers, but it's definitely showing things I think I'll want to find on my own.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

All right! Based on this thread I checked it out on Steam and low and behold, it's available for the Mac! I've been waiting years to play a decent game on this computer.

I just went through the demo and I'm sold. At $9.99, it's a pretty good deal. (It's only this cheap until Monday, though.)

It's a pretty interesting game concept, and because of all the item-tossing, I don't think it would work well without mouse controls. Check it out if youcan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

This game is unnerving as all hell. I dread moving 10 feet in game. I have found some nightmare fuel for awhile finally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch3008 View Post
    This game is unnerving as all hell. I dread moving 10 feet in game. I have found some nightmare fuel for awhile finally.
    Wait until the last hour or two. It gets even worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It's pretty rare that games scare me. Intrigued or creeped out, sure but never truly frightened. Well, this game just got me. I yelled aloud. I was dicking around in the storage area (probably the creepiest part of the game so far) and I opened a door. That monster that follows you around was waiting on the other side for me. I yalped. Like a girl. I got so flustered I couldn't find the proper directional keys on the keyboard and the thing mauled me.

This is the first time...THE FIRST TIME any game has gotten a reaction like that out of me.

It takes a few hours, but man once you get deep into the game, it'll definitely mess with you. Even hardcore horror fans will be given a run for their money. The audio is spectacular, and is a big part of the fear element--play it in headphones, in the dark.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Holger Czukay's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay
    PSN
    aigisismywaifu

For those still not convinced, this should do it. For everyone else, this is extremely entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Czukay View Post
    For those still not convinced, this should do it. For everyone else, this is extremely entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY
    I downloaded this game the other day, but still haven't had a chance to play it. That video is hilarious. "Oh shit! I've got a bag of milky ways! AAAAAHHHHHHHH! whjuusjusddwaa! I'm gonna die!"
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I still haven't checked this game out and now I really really want to after seeing that video.

edit: Played it for a bit tonight and it's a step up from Penumbra, which I found to be un-playable. I have a feeling that the sanity thing is going to get on my nerves, especially since I seem to never have any of those lighters when I really need them and I don't want to use my lantern much out of fear of running out of oil forever. I know that's the whole point, but it feels like it'll get more frustrating to me than scary.
    Last edited by exit; 12-16-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am pretty proud of myself for finishing this game. Not only do I simply avoid playing survival horror games (silent hill, resident evil, etc) because I dont like the shit being scared out of me in games, but I finished it in ONE sitting on halloween night...in the dark. Granted I was doing it for a live stream on justin.tv, but it was a really fun experience for me. Now after beating amnesia I am ready to tackle more survival horror games, next up is dead space

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Got to the part with the iron maiden last night. Creepy as hell, (looks like a person standing in the middle of the room from far away) and it startled the hell out of me when it flew open! Accch!

Fantastic game. It doesn't show much in the way of graphic violences, but some of the images/descriptions put the most vile, gruesome scenes in your head. I don't think I've played a game that depicted this much horrible brutality. The games protagonist and antagonist are some truly sick fucks. The game takes more from Bioshock than Resident Evil in terms of story telling (ie--you find the aftermath of what happened and have to put the pieces together in your head instead of just having zombies and dogs jump out at you) and is significantly more disturbing as a result. I can't recommend this game enough for horror fans. It's really different.