Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Thoughts and impressions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought it a couple of days ago and I'm in chapter 3 right now. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Downloaded the demo, and to be honest I didn't really like it. Leveling up to get more advanced moves is a good idea, but I don't feel like I have good control over my character. I just basically pounded on the buttons, and killed everything.

Does LOS get better as the game progresses, or does it simply muddle on?

Insert Coin (Level 0) phantomfriar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really enjoying the game. The graphics are excellent, atmosphere, music score (which is phenomenal), creature design -- all of it well worth the ride IMO. I realize CV die-hards may not care for it, but as an adventure game in its own right I think it's terrific.

My main gripe are the problems you run into at times not knowing where to go or precisely what to do. It's not entirely frustrating but I admit I bookmarked a walkthru on IGN for the few times I've run into trouble.

Otherwise, I think the game is really good. The people trashing it seem to be, mostly, picking on what it's not instead of what it is, if that makes sense.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jbjabroni23

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You should do some research on the CV timeline. Also learn to read what information you post. The wiki article you linked even states that the game isn't canon. Atleast the person who posted the wiki article did their research and doesn't go around misinforming people.
    The article states its a reboot. And that it's not part of the "original" timeline. This would be an alternate timeline such as how Ocarina of Time started alternate timelines in the Zelda universe. Castlevania as a whole is a mixture of two different canons, the games and then the Bram Stoker novels, your idea that this game can't be another canon to the original series is rediculous.'

Also, for the purist who say there wasn't enough "Castlevania" tie-ins. The developers did try to die this game into the series. Gabriel is the supposed son of a Mathias Conqvist, which makes a direct link to the Lament of Innocence game. Also, his combat cross is made by Rinaldo Gandolfi, the same person that gives Leon Belmont his whip in Lament of Innocence. Lament of Innocence being the next game that would have been in the timeline (LoS takes place in 1407, LoI takes place in 1094). I'm not trying to start a canon-non canon argument just stating that attempts were made. Even the developer says the the timeline is confusing even for fans.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/lords_...view-1975.html
    Last edited by jbjabroni; 10-10-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just happy that now that people are playing it, they're realizing it's fun Less bitching, more gaming I say!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I'm just happy that now that people are playing it, they're realizing it's fun Less bitching, more gaming I say!
    Kotaku's review nails most of it --

http://kotaku.com/5661436/review-cas...ords-of-shadow
    Last edited by phantomfriar; 10-14-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the demo and have to agree that it plays like a straight GOW clone. It doesn't seem very much like Castlevania to me. I still thought the demo was ok, just not great. I'll still pick this up once it comes down in price because the one thing the demo ensured me of is that this game isn't worth a full $60.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I have to amend my earlier posts. I loved the first few chapters but frustration finally set in for me after Chapter 3. Too much redundant combat, the levels are too long, and even though I had it set to easy, when I have to spend more time reading a walkthrough about all kinds of things (routes that aren't easy to find; bosses and puzzles so obtuse the solution is either unbelievably easy or difficult) than playing the game, that's enough for me. Traded it in for $39 at Amazon and feel bad I spent as much time with it as I did.

I still say there's a great game in there. The graphics and production values are excellent. But it's like they needed to do more quality testing -- it shouldn't be that hard at times to understand what you're doing or where you're going, and the levels are unnecessarily long, especially the further in you go.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by phantomfriar View Post
    I still say there's a great game in there. The graphics and production values are excellent. But it's like they needed to do more quality testing -- it shouldn't be that hard at times to understand what you're doing or where you're going, and the levels are unnecessarily long, especially the further in you go.
    I'm enjoying the game immensely on the 'knight' difficulty setting, and have made it to the seventh chapter without having to resort to a walkthrough once. I think that, on knight difficulty, the game is just hard enough that I can't seem to stay alive for any considerable amount of time during fights against some of the larger monsters, but I also feel as though I can always win with just a little more practice. I haven't had a single issue with level navigation, as nearly every level is set up as a linear path with a few short branches to make room for the game's various power-ups. One of the earlier chapters had a circular level full of crystal shards that required a sharp eye at one point in order to spot the flashing grip on the wall, but I just thought: "I'm not getting anywhere by walking, so I should probably look at the walls." That was probably the longest I wandered, and even then I can't imagine I was stuck for more than five minutes. I remember getting stuck for hours in the NES games I used to play as a kid, and some of them were considered classics--Metroid and The Legend of Zelda were always two huge offenders in that department--and yet I had the patience to sit there and figure out where I needed to go, as I felt that was part of the challenge. If anything, I feel this new Castlevania holds my hand far too much, as everything I'm supposed to be looking for is flashing, or has some kind of text prompt reminding me of what I'm supposed to be doing. Also, after I die--even during boss battles--the game restarts me from a checkpoint no more than 30 seconds before where I was when I died. There's so much guidance and hand-holding that I almost felt as though that was the game's most annoying feature for quite some time. Maybe I'm just a child of the NES (and Atari) era, and expect games to challenge me and make me search for things. Maybe that's why I don't play games on easy.

I absolutely love this game, though. It made me appreciate action games again, after years of focusing on RPGs and Monster Hunter games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was originally going to wait for this on Goozex, but ended up just buying it at K-Mart since it's $40 there this week. I don't see why people keep on comparing it to God of War, sure it shares similar aspects, but I find the combat to be a lot better since you actually have to put the skills you gained to use. My problem with God of War was that it just felt like button mashing majority of the time, but with this game if you start mashing buttons, you're going to get yourself killed rather quickly.

I do agree that the fixed camera angles can be awkward at times and had me running in circles at one point until I accidentally stumbled on the path I had to go into. Other than that, I've been enjoying the game more than I thought I would.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I've finally made it to Chapter 6 and I still am enjoying this game. I'm playing on the hardest setting you choose at first and I find that to be pretty challenging, or at least it would be if there weren't so many checkpoints. Yes the game does hold your hand quite a bit although some of the levels are so detailed that It might be hard to notice a single ledge you need to climb, which is probably why they did that. I have also gone back and done levels up to 3 times to get powerups that I missed. It is similar to god of war but there are many, many more combos to choose from (so many that it is impossible to remember them all). I also feel like there is more variety overall, I haven't got bored yet because there is always new enemies and new tactics to use to kill them. I think the game is worth the money. One thing they should have taken from GOW though is the ability to absorb orbs automatically. I find it difficult in LOS to catch a breath and hold the thumbsticks in when I need to, while fighting a lycan or worg so I can fill up my magic before the orbs disappear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    I think the game is worth the money. One thing they should have taken from GOW though is the ability to absorb orbs automatically. I find it difficult in LOS to catch a breath and hold the thumbsticks in when I need to, while fighting a lycan or worg so I can fill up my magic before the orbs disappear.
    This. It gets frustrating when fighting a boss and getting killed because I'm trying to absorb the orbs so I can get my light/dark magic filled up a bit. Also, the blocking/countering seems a bit off at times as well.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For anyone who got the Limited Edition, does it come with an outside box and then a PS3/360 plastic box inside it? Or is it an oversized box with the discs and artbook inside the same box? Amazon is selling the PS3 Limited Edition for $39.99 right now and since I still haven't picked the game up yet just want to know how the packaging is. That way with the Limited Edition stuff I can put it away with the rest, and the game itself I'd put it with my other PS3 games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I picked it up this morning because I saw the special too. But since I had a $15 credit, it's like paying $25 for it.

I knew it was worth waiting for a price drop!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    For anyone who got the Limited Edition, does it come with an outside box and then a PS3/360 plastic box inside it? Or is it an oversized box with the discs and artbook inside the same box? Amazon is selling the PS3 Limited Edition for $39.99 right now and since I still haven't picked the game up yet just want to know how the packaging is. That way with the Limited Edition stuff I can put it away with the rest, and the game itself I'd put it with my other PS3 games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks Lanzo. I'll be picking up the regular version once it gets a price reduction. Every picture on Google images were the promotional images so wasn't sure if it came with a seperate plastic box or not.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought that background was a misty fog-covered mountain range....and then I realized it was a poorly made bed. My bad.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i got up to the part where you get to ride the giant spider in lycan country, and to be honest, the game is fun, but i have no real motivation to play it, this game so far feels like 1000 other games i've played b4 that have also done it better

supposedly the story picks up around 20 percent of the game, but i dont see me sticking around to find out, i havent even picked up the controller to play this since like late october/early november
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I went into it with an open mind back when it came out. I left with a shrug. It's okay, but not my cup of tea. I've since sold it, hopefully to someone that will appreciate it more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I just opened my copy and noticed that the PS3 version comes in one entire disc, which is pretty neat.

Still, overall the "Collector's Edition" was pretty terrible. It was cool that it came in a mock book, and when opened revealed the mini art book, cardboard slip where the music CD is stored in, the manual and game disc. Still, at $80 it is mind boggling horrid. This "CE" edition should have been only $10 more the retail price, not $20 more.

Of course, this is a matter of opinion, but the LE/CE edition is not worth the $80 price tag. I got it for $25 through Amazon ($40 - $15 credit I had), so it was excellent. But I feel for those who purchased it for $80 when it came out.

The game, on the other hand, is awesome. I really like it, a tad hard (need to practice a bit), but overall a great game. Does not resemble much Castlevania as it reminds me of GoW for some odd reason. Otherwise a great game, crappy LE packaging.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!