Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Default Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy for NES feat

I have heard all over the place that The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy for NES is one of NES's greatest challenges. I was lucky to tape my playthrough with a VCR but using my 1993 toploader NES with dogbone controller, I complete the game with no lives lost in just under 100 minutes. I uploaded the playthrough on youtube, separated into 10 videos which I have links to here.

How many of you enjoyed this game yourselves? Have any of you mastered it too? Here's a topic where you can discuss Dizzy and why or why not you like the series, and if the videos impress you feel free to express that as well. This is the only Dizzy I got to experience until I recently got an Aladdin Deck Enhancer with Dizzy The Adventurer; which when compared to any port of Fantastic Dizzy is easy as pie. I also have Fantastic Dizzy for Sega Genesis. It was good too, but when I got to the end of the Genesis version I wasn't able to survive the final climb up Zaks' Tower as the attack he uses is much different than in the version shown in this video. That one is going to take practice before I can even attempt a video of that.

Here is the standard US format golden NES cartridge version. The odd sequence at the beginning of Part 1 is me resetting the NES a few times because it was having a graphical error at first:

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10

I'm getting interesting comments so I thought this would impress some.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually watched this whole set of videos. This game looks hard as hell, but you can tell the designers did a hell of a lot of work on it! The Music was great at many points, but had that same annoying high-pitched thing going on in them.

The game looks hard as hell. Just knowing what to do seems impossible without a guide.

Great job!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    I actually watched this whole set of videos. This game looks hard as hell, but you can tell the designers did a hell of a lot of work on it! The Music was great at many points, but had that same annoying high-pitched thing going on in them.

The game looks hard as hell. Just knowing what to do seems impossible without a guide.

Great job!

-Rob
    Knowing what to do in each situation came from years of trial and error, and using my imagination. I first reached Zaks' castle just before I turned 10, but then got the message that I needed all the stars to enter the last climb. I didn't beat it until I was in high school, but I usually had very few lives left. From when I was 8 years old up till last winter when I had this recorded on my VCR, I had never beaten the game without losing a life. I think the fact I did that was a lucky shot. Near the end as I struggled to get to the top you saw me almost die. Phew that was a close one.

Just before I recorded this particular playthrough, I recorded another playthrough. When I got to the end, I collected the last star in the dripping cave with the trampet. The star did not disappear and I discovered a glitch. If you touch that star again, it causes there to be a seemingly infinite number of stars left to collect and locks up the entrance to the last climb in the tower. And there are no more stars left in the game, so you are stuck and unfortunately have to reset your system. This frustrated me, but it gave me the practice needed to beat it without losing. I think I rewound the tape and recorded this take you see right over it. I'm sure the first time around I lost a couple lives so the game glitching on me and forcing me to start over was a blessing in disguise.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]