Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiimote Plus... too little too late?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wiimote Plus... too little too late?

http://site.video-game-central.com/b...-wiimote-plus/

Now Nintendo have revealed the details of the Wiimote plus, do you think it will encourage developers to make Motionplus games, or avoid them so as not to split their potential customer base? Presuming the new Wiimote does become the standard.

Personally, I think they will avoid it and this is something Nintendo should have done when the M+ first came out. The Wii arguably only has another year and a half (2 at max) left in it before we see Nintendo's next console announced/released.

Many may not see the need/point and that the mass audience won't care/understand the difference with the new Wiimote so they won't risk people buying the game and discovering their old wiimote won't work 'properly'.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally haven't bothered with an M+ yet, so if I ever take interest in a game that requires it, I might just pick up a black W+. If they can sell both, I don't see much of a problem.

As for the Wii's lifetime, sure, they might announce a new console soon. Are they going to discontinue support for the Wii? Heck no! The Wii is only four years old, and it's going strong. The PS2 has lasted ten years. If Nintendo can put out some killer games to sell hardware over the next few years, they'll be set for long-term success. Keep in mind that the PS2 sold over 100 million units, and the Wii is only at about 50 million right now.

If Nintendo announces a new console, I don't think that it will cater to the Wii market. If anything, it will be a proper gaming machine for a smaller audience, as we're seeing with the 3DS. The Wii is the VCR of casual gaming, and DVD is still far off. That doesn't mean LaserDisc isn't on its way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo definitely should have made their motion control more accurate from launch instead of having to play catch up. But they still tricked everyone into having the #1 selling console of this generation, so props to them.

Microsoft and Sony are also trying to play catch up though, releasing motion add-ons.

Personally, I just want it all to die. Motion controls, that is. Give me a normal controller and let me exercise on my own time.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Personally, I just want it all to die. Motion controls, that is. Give me a normal controller and let me exercise on my own time.
    Motion controls, yes. Pointing devices, I think we can improve on and make standard. Offhand, I can't think of a motion game I enjoyed other than Wii Sports, but Metroid on Wii works very well. If Nintendo does a niche console for action games, I can see it dropping motion control but keeping and improving the shooter-friendly pointing hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    The Wii is only four years old, and it's going strong. The PS2 has lasted ten years. If Nintendo can put out some killer games to sell hardware over the next few years, they'll be set for long-term success.
    They're not already set for long-term success?

Keep in mind that the PS2 sold over 100 million units, and the Wii is only at about 50 million right now. .
    The Wii passed the 75 million mark weeks ago,

If Nintendo announces a new console, I don't think that it will cater to the Wii market. If anything, it will be a proper gaming machine for a smaller audience, as we're seeing with the 3DS. The Wii is the VCR of casual gaming, and DVD is still far off. That doesn't mean LaserDisc isn't on its way.
    Sorry, but that's obviously nonsense. When the Nintendo Wii is replaced, they're surely going to be designing the replacement to replicate and expand upon the success this console has enjoyed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Motion controls, yes. Pointing devices, I think we can improve on and make standard. Offhand, I can't think of a motion game I enjoyed other than Wii Sports,
    There is Boom Blox, which without motion control would have been extremely dull in comparison. But yes on the whole I'd say motion control hasn't been a great success game wise (sales wise though it has).

I do think it's here to stay in some form, but then so are buttons.

As for Wii longevity, I've no doubt games will keep being made for it for many years but I can't see any 1st party games past 2012. Although really I'd say 2011 but you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

As for the Wii's lifetime, sure, they might announce a new console soon. Are they going to discontinue support for the Wii? Heck no! The Wii is only four years old, and it's going strong. The PS2 has lasted ten years. If Nintendo can put out some killer games to sell hardware over the next few years, they'll be set for long-term success. Keep in mind that the PS2 sold over 100 million units, and the Wii is only at about 50 million right now.
    I completely disagree here. Nintendo has always immediately refocused all of their resources on their next system as soon as it is announced. The NES, SNES, N64, GC all became afterthoughts to them once the next system landed.
    Life is like a hurricane...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    I completely disagree here. Nintendo has always immediately refocused all of their resources on their next system as soon as it is announced. The NES, SNES, N64, GC all became afterthoughts to them once the next system landed.
    But look at where they went from there. They finally have a winning product and you think they're going to use the same strategy that weakened their market share, time after time?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So who is Nintendo playing catch-up with? Apple?

Prognosticators with constipation unite to form... Queen Margarita!

It was stated that the applied tech for M+ wasn't even market available until 2007... *facepalm*

Duel Shock just killed the Playstation... Oh wait!
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante
    But look at where they went from there. They finally have a winning product and you think they're going to use the same strategy that weakened their market share, time after time?
    Just think of the fanbase they had with the GBA before the release of the DS. Other than funding the Final Fantasy Advance ports, they pretty much completely dropped support and the GBA was nearly dead other than the very little third party support it still had.

Look at the 3DS. I'm sure that the companies putting games out on it didn't do so from the goodness of their hearts. More than likely Nintendo threw around a lot of cash to get the kind of support it's received for the 3DS. Makes me think that as soon as the 3DS is released we'll see very very few compatible DS or DSi games. Like Nintendo's regular strategy. "Buy our new system or fuck yourself."

As long as we've been playing and collecting games it's time and time again you see this bs pulled from Nintendo. I despise the company but if I want good games that are surely to come on the 3DS I'm going to pick one up(Mega Man Legends 3 means it's going to be a must own system for me, just not until there's a price drop.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Like Nintendo's regular strategy. "Buy our new system or fuck yourself."
    I always thought it was "Get N or Get Out," but your slogan works too.

Still, look at the GBA. The GBA wasn't a Wii. The point I'm trying to get across is that the Wii is a very different market from any console in the history of gaming, and it needs to be treated as such. I'm sure that we'll see first-party titles drop from the Wii in the next few years, but I can see them continuing to manufacture the console and carry it with vehement 3rd party support in the casual market. The immortal Brazilian Mega Drive market comes to mind.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always thought it was "Get N or Get Out," but your slogan works too.

Still, look at the GBA. The GBA wasn't a Wii. The point I'm trying to get across is that the Wii is a very different market from any console in the history of gaming, and it needs to be treated as such. I'm sure that we'll see first-party titles drop from the Wii in the next few years, but I can see them continuing to manufacture the console and carry it with vehement 3rd party support in the casual market. The immortal Brazilian Mega Drive market comes to mind.
    Unlikely. Software sales have been soft even for first party stuff in the past two years. Yes, they still make money on hardware, but given Nintendo's past practice on even their most successful products, they will almost immediately move anything in advanced development over to the next system and we will likely only see a handful of first party stuff that is literally months away from being ready for release or stuff that gets a dual release on both the new and the old console (Zelda for the GC/Wii comes to mind, as does Wario's Woods for the NES/SNES, etc...) and perhaps some continuing third party support for the Wii. Nintendo tends to avoid niche marginal markets. It's why they don't really strongly support their own virtual console. Unless there is a ton of money to be made, they could care less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    If you think they forgot the NES when the Super NES was released, then please explain why Kirby's Adventure, Startropics 2, Wario's Woods, etc. all exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Avoiding larger speculation, I'm sure I will get one (or maybe just the Plus add-on Dongle) for the next Zelda.
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't they already been selling Wiimote + Motionplus bundles? This doesn't really "do" anything.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Haven't they already been selling Wiimote + Motionplus bundles? This doesn't really "do" anything.
    Yeah, they've been bundling it with Wii Sports Resort, and Wiimotes, so this is no big deal.

And the concept of Wii Motion Plus is fine IMO, I don't think it's too little too late, Wii definitely has at least a good 3 or 4 years while 360 and PS3 play catch-up.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

It's really a market leader addressing a supposed deficiency that exists vs. the competition.I doubt it will do any worse than Move or Kinect
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Well, it arguably does. Now the two are combined into one and made the standard Wiimote (i.e. all old Wiimotes will stop being sold new). Every game made after that point should theoretically be motion+ plus compatible.

However I'm saying that probably won't happen as it's too late in the Wii's life cycle. Perhaps if they had launched these new Wiimotes the same time as the M+ attachment came out, then M+ games may have become standard.

The argument of M+ from the Wii's launch is bit of a non starter.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as GBA/DS drop off, it was signaled to Nintendo by the consumers actions... Drill Dozer, an awesome Game Freak developed game and Nintendo published didn't even manage to make waves after DS. I can still find new copies of it... There comes a time when people stop buying, you just have to move on at that point. If the games still produced sales, they would have been sustained longer.

M+ induction was handled fairly well by my estimation. When it was being introduced the major factor to consider was, all Wii owners had existing Wii remotes already. The dongle add-on made perfect sense, it could be had cheaper than a whole new unit and Voltron'd into the scheme. They designed the controller to be modular from the get go, which I thought was rather brilliant myself. The rejection risk would be much higher if M+ was introduced as a new integrated M+ wiimote only, even at a retail cost of $50--a $20 dongle being less than half that. Even though 40 (old remote) + 20 (dongle) = 60. It's a fact of economics they're working with, sunk cost--the fact that many people already had wiimotes, only minus M+, that made this the most probable method to adoption.

When the M+ dongle was announced I was certain they would merge them into a single unit eventually. Again, looking at market signals, they'd do this when it is perceived to be in their best interest and the market accepted it and had shown a willingness to support/adopt it.

The fact they are even bothering with the expense of producing the combined unit signals the success of M+ as perceived by Nintendo. They made their goals and they're fully committed to it now. That's rare in this industry... Exceedingly.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-08-2010 at 09:46 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    It's really a market leader addressing a supposed deficiency that exists vs. the competition.I doubt it will do any worse than Move or Kinect
    It's hardly anything so dramatic.

It's simply a logical step to integrate Motion Plus into future Wiimotes. Everyone knew this was eventually going to happen the minute we found out about Motion Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    Well, it arguably does. Now the two are combined into one and made the standard Wiimote (i.e. all old Wiimotes will stop being sold new). Every game made after that point should theoretically be motion+ plus compatible.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? There are 75 million + Wii's out there and probably well over 150 million Wiimotes, the vast majority of which don't have the Motion Plus attachment. Integrating it into future Wiimotes hardly erases the obvious fact that the vast majority of your consumer base doesn't have a Motion Plus add-on.

The only games ever coming out that are Motion Plus compatible will be those where there is a compelling reason to support the attachment, such as in Skyward Sword. You will never see Motion Plus compatibility become anything near universal on this platform. It simply isn't needed and doesn't make any sense to support or require in the vast majority of games.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-08-2010 at 10:04 AM.