Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Top 20 Sega CD Games

If you were "there" when this little add-on was released, you KNOW how big it was. Funny how time has really washed away the significance of the system and quite frankly, there's a LOT of junk on it.

What are your favorites? This is the official Roundtable Top 20! If you vote a game onto the list, you have to choose one to drop and explain why.

For a complete list, see http://www.digitpress.com/lists/segacd.pdf

For pictures of a complete collection, see http://www.digitpress.com/archives/segacd/

Cobra Command
    Dark Wizard
    Dungeon Explorer
    Eternal Champions
    Final Fight CD
    Flashback
    Keio Flying Squadron
    Lords of Thunder
    Lunar: Eternal Blue
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    NHL '94
    Popful Mail
    Road Avenger
    Sega Classics 5-in-1
    Shining Force CD
    Snatcher
    Sonic CD
    Time Gal
    Ultraverse Prime / Microcosm
    Vay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

wha...wha.....WHAAAAAAAT????

NO SNATCHER?????

Drop Eternal Champions and stick SNATCHER on there.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drop Eternal Champions (YASFG - Yet another shitty fighting game) and put in Silpheed - one of the best space shooters I've encountered for any system.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drop Flashback (ASOOS aka As seen on other systems) for Time Gal. Or drop Road Avenger for Time Gal.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snatcher is the greatest SCD game of all time, along with Willy Beamish, and the FMV games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Drop Eternal Champions for Snatcher, the Genesis version will do for Eternal Champions.

Drop Flashback for Timegal. Flashback is great, but ditto to statement above "Genesis version will do."

I think that Mickey Mania, and Sega 5-in-1 should be replaced also, but not sure with what at this time. I think all games should be representative of Sega CD though, and not just slightly upgraded Genesis ports.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since the only reason people want to drop Flashback is that it's done well on other systems why don't we just keep it? Or am I the only one who's noticed that the list only has 17 games on it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Snatcher = sacriledge! Snatcherm at least on my list, is THE best game for that system! Also, you're missing Vay and a couple others. Definitely dump Eternal Champions, Flashback, NHL 94 and Ultraverse Prime/Microcosm.

Add:

Andriod Assault: Revenge of Bariarm
    Silpheed
    Vay
    Snatcher
    Robo Aleste
    Rise of the Dragon
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By my count, the list is three titles short. I think Snatcher deserves one of those spots, as does Robo Aleste. For the remaining slot, I'd throw in either Silpheed or Android Assault.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the adventures of willy beamish
    "Sucking on the Marrow of life does not mean you have to choke on the bone"-Dead Poets Society screenplay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason I always wanted a Sega CD when I was a kid was because of Dark Wizard. Turn based strategy, improvable armies, anime (for a preteen anime fan in an under-anime'd days of the early 90's, we got our anime fix wherever we could find it! Pretentious subtitle-only anime fans be damned! We only had Project A-ko back in the day... and only subbed!), and four different characters with different styles, I couldn't go wrong. (Though it does have the flaw of not being a turned based strategy game not made by Microprose or Sid Mier...) I finally got a Sega CD (what, ten years later?!) and it's still pretty darned good. Oh, and as a kid, I loved playing World War III. That I can't find (for a *decent* price!) Thank you, Sega!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite 20 games would be:

Android Assault: The Revenge of Bari-Arm
    Flink
    Ground Zero Texas (I'll get slammed for this, but i loved it)
    Keio Flying Squadron
    Lords of Thunder
    Lunar: Eternal Blue
    Lunar: Silver Star Story
    Mickey Mania
    Microcosm
    Popful Mail
    Rise of the Dragon
    Robo Aleste
    Silpheed
    Snatcher
    Sonic CD
    Soul Star
    Time Gal
    Vay
    Wild Woody
    Willy Beamish, The Adventures of

Flashback was just as good on cartridge
    Eternal Champions seemed to play better on cartridge
    NHL '94 was just as good on Cartridge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snatcher was THE game for Sega Cd....THE only game worth a damn on that waste of money system.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To all you jive turkey muthafos crying to have eternal champions removed. Kiss my ass. I traded 4 complete games for it. They were dragons liar, timegal, road avenger and solfeace, and it was well worth it. Eternal Champions in 1995 Game Players Magazine was rated as the goriest game and the best game for the sega cd along with lunar eternal blue. The art is neat on the 3 FMV, but game play sucks shit! Remove Time Gal and Cobra Command off the top 20. FMV sucks and it gave sega cd a bad name!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

You, my friend, win the "Holy Shit That Has To Be the Biggest Bump Ever" award. It's good for free ketchup packets at McDonald's in certain areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I missed this one. Thanks for the bump. I just reacquired a Sega CD a few weeks ago so here's me & mine:

All the negativity towards Eternal Champions is WRONG. It's the Genesis version that sucks. With the CD you got filled in more on the coolest sci fi story anyone ould have ever imagined for a fighting game. You got over 20 unique characters and they weren't clones of each other either. Many of these you had to unlock and it was great fun trying to do so. CD-spun rave music fit perfectly, and 4 hidden ways to win each match (fatality type things but bigger in scope). But the best upgrade was the fighting engine itself; the Genny version was all charge moves and was flawed: constant taunts killed your yinyang meter and you couldn't pull off the better moves. This was corrected in the CD version AND an action street-fighter-ish combo system was put in. I was a Trident man m'self. I vote to keep Eternal Champions CD on there.

Robo Aleste needs to be on there -- a great vertical shooter by Compile! I've been playing it quite a bit recently. It uses the Sega CD's scaling and sprite capabilities nicely as eye candy, good redbook audio tunes too, especially compared to most 16-bit game "music".

And where is Batman Returns?!?!! Good grief, anyone who likes Sega's System 16 type scaling must have gone berzerk when seeing the scaling in Batman Returns which was quite good for its day. It's the driving levels and the suberb engine running them that qualify this game. The scaling engine was so good it got reused in the Sony Cliffhanger game which had mediocre 2D platforming and AAA 3D snowboard levels as an ever-rumbling avalanche chased you down the mountain.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I too am glad that this thread was bumped back up, now I can say what everyone has been either afraid or has forgotten to say:

WHERE
    IS
    SEWER
    SHARK!?!?!?!!?

I LOVE that game! So cheesy ("I hear you're ridin' with Ghost today, now THAT'S my MAIN man!" Pure cheese.), so funny, and such AMAZING graphics make it the best game EVER.

Well, maybe not.

It was fun though. Though so was Trivial Pursuit, simply because they actually encouraged cheating on the questions in that game. How horrible, yet horribly entertaining. But Sonic CD was DEFINATELY one of the best games on the SCD or any system at all, IMO.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sewer Shark Hell No! Sonic CD Fuck Yeah! Sonic Cd has awsome game play, nice collors and cool soundtrack!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe people wanted to bump Road Avenger off the list.....that game rocks. The theme song and the cartoon introduction to that game are awesome. I once heard a rumor that Frank Stallone sang the theme song, but upon beating the game it says the theme is done by J-Walk. Upon some research, they're a Japanese rock band that has since changed their name to Jaywalk, but I can't find the song for Road Avenger anywhere on the 'net.....does anyone know where I can download this song? Any help would be appreciated.

Still waiting for my copy of Snatcher to come in the mail.....got it off eBay awhile ago for $15, disc only. Sure, I'd rather have it complete, but I really want to play it and I think $15 is a good deal for a game that goes for like $70-80 complete.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FMV cartoons including road avenger looks nice artisticly, but plays like sh!t. FMV suck if it is a action/adventure/sport or a action shooter like Ground Zero Texas & Sewer Shark! Most FMV just can't cut it when it comes to gameplay. The price on Snatcher is nothing but a blue book gouge! I'm sure it kickass on any FMV!