Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Default NBA Jam Wii

Alright, who's got it? Just bought it tonight and I was pleasantly surprised at how faithful it was. They really did keep the good old gameplay and added some new features to boot plus a fresh coat of paint. The Wiimote controls are pretty fluid and although they're not as good as a regular controller, this is definitely a solid game. And the computer is as merciless as they were in the original, the defense that the CPU plays can get really ridiculous at times, it's hard to get even dunks off.

I also like that they took out the injuries that were in T.E and Hangtime, while keeping the multiple players and identical Alley-Oop features of the original.

The main flaw really is that there's no online mode, but there's a bunch of features that the 360/PS3 downloadable versions don't have. But Online was key and they left it out, which is really disappointing. And that stupid training mode is a bit of annoying in that it keeps reminding you to do it until you do it. Very pointless IMO.

As a whole though, the game is great. It won't be as good as the original, but it comes pretty damn close.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-07-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Think i'll hold out on NBA Jam for the wii given the PS3&360 version will have more beside suporting online co-op.Realy "what's wrong with EA" for leaving online multiplayer out of it shesh,in this day and age it shouldn't be a problem to have it in a game for the wii.

Btw if the wii version of nba jam ends up in the bragin bin then i'll get it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to be really excited for this game, but now that there's a version coming to Xbox and PS3, I'm going to wait. EA made a real mess of it all. I have no idea what's going to be included/not included in the other versions, but online play is enough for me to wait and see.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I think this game is not as good...for $49.99 the "classic" gameplay doesn't even look as good as the NBA SHowtime on NBC game from the arcade days (the last one released)

Also, explain to me why the computer teammate won't shoot when you want him to like the arcade version correctly?

Oh, and for "arcade" this game is not arcade stick compatible completely, certain moves require use of the Analog sticks on either the Classic Controller or WiiMote swat...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I used to be really excited for this game, but now that there's a version coming to Xbox and PS3, I'm going to wait. EA made a real mess of it all. I have no idea what's going to be included/not included in the other versions, but online play is enough for me to wait and see.
    Online's in the HD versions, but not in the Wii.

EA was really stupid about handling the game in the first place, like every week before it's release they'd announce different changes with each platform. Keep being brilliant, EA.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    Online's in the HD versions, but not in the Wii.

EA was really stupid about handling the game in the first place, like every week before it's release they'd announce different changes with each platform. Keep being brilliant, EA.
    Right, the fact that online is in the HD versions but not in the Wii version is why I'm holding out. If they release it as a small downloadable with just the basic game plus online, I'm buying that version, day one. If they pack in all the same features as the Wii version and release it as a $60 retail game, then I'll wait for a sale or price drop and get that version.

But right now, nobody knows when the HD versions are coming, what features they're going to have, how it will be released, or how much it will cost. It's ridiculous, and I think they're really cannibalizing sales.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it today and my opinion is its very faithful to the original, something that has big pros and cons.

As a pro it is the same game you have always loved with a few new features, this is also a con though as a retail game it is short and a game you wont find yourself returning too often, unless you have friends to play with.

IMO it needs to be a cheap wiiware/xbla/psn game and really suits itself to that "minigame" feel that those platforms give.
    zomg I have a sig

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Also, explain to me why the computer teammate won't shoot when you want him to like the arcade version correctly?
    Just hold C and move the Wiimote up. Then he'll shoot when you want him to.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Just hold C and move the Wiimote up. Then he'll shoot when you want him to.

Well, I tried the 360 version and the same garbage happens, it's totally not fluid and you can't shoot precisely when you want to....what a mess...and you can't configure buttons? I'm sorry, whoever reviewed this game and gave it all these stellar reviews without taking into consideration the LACK of arcade options needs to go back and play the other NBA JAM games....

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Bumpin' this one up.

I just picked up the On Fire Edition for 360 the other day, and I am too pleased about how faithful the gameplay has stayed to the original Jams. The one big advantage that On Fire Edition has above the retail versions is the addition of "Tag Mode", which allows the player to control both members of the team during a game instead of being rooted to just one. There are also other additions and tweaks as well, but I couldn't go back to the retail version afterwards simply because of the lack of a Tag Mode. Online play is also included as well. Overall, I'm really digging it, and the reviews across the board are claiming that is this the definitive modern-gen version of NBA Jam as well. Anybody else playing it?

"Dear Rim: I miss you. Hope you see you again soon. Love, Chuck."
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."