Thread: Best Disc Buffer To Use?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Disc Buffer To Use?

I'm looking to buy a machine to resurface/fix all my future used discs. What do you guys use and what do you recommend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disk Doctor one of the more common ones. I wouldn't use one, except as a last resort though. Especially not a whole library polish run. Too much material removed and strain on the center if too aggressive pushing that pad.

Not Plastic Cleaner but Plastic Polish such as the liquid used to clean automotive convertible top rear plastic windows. Soft cotton cloth rub in by hand, then hand buff off.

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard good things about the JFJ Easy Pro. It's also the most common machine I've seen at used game shops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I just take mine to the local video rental store(Family Video) and they buff them looking like new for just $2 per disk. I think there's a discount if you bring in a bunch.

I'm not sure what machine it is. It's fancier looking than the JFJ Easy Pro and when I asked they said it was $3000 though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine that all consumer level disc polishers would not be worth the trouble. The "Disc Doctor" swirls are often worse than the original scratches. You want to just take your games to someone with a professional polishing machine. Since polishing is usually just for looks anyway, you want it to be totally smooth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    foofapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    I've heard good things about the JFJ Easy Pro. It's also the most common machine I've seen at used game shops.
    I've got one in my shop, and it's worked really well for me. It's done wonders on some really awful discs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This mostly happens with a black-bottomed Playstation disc, but when I get one resurfaced at a used game shop with a machine, you can see swirl marks on the surface after it has been done. I've noticed this at several different stores. This really bothers me because I'd like the disc to look new. Is this normal or did the person not do it right? Do these light swirl marks affect the operation of the disc? Is there a way to get rid of these marks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some sort of polish/wax should do the trick. I have actually received games from Ebay that still had chunks of wax around the edges from this, but the surfaces were like mirrors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by psx95 View Post
    This mostly happens with a black-bottomed Playstation disc, but when I get one resurfaced at a used game shop with a machine, you can see swirl marks on the surface after it has been done. I've noticed this at several different stores. This really bothers me because I'd like the disc to look new. Is this normal or did the person not do it right? Do these light swirl marks affect the operation of the disc? Is there a way to get rid of these marks?
    I have the JFJ Easy Pro, and I have not noticed these marks. Of course, it could be that the employees or those that are using the equipment (any bufferer) does not know how to use it adequately. At least the JFJ, it requires a certain time to get used to it, since it does have a bit of a learning curve. Once mastered, it's excellent.

I've used it on a few PSOne games and the discs look like new.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!