View Poll Results: What is the best First Person Shooter pre-2000?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wolfenstein 3D (1992)

4 6.35%
  • Doom engine games (Doom/II, Heretic/Hexen, Strife)

6 9.52%
  • Quake series

6 9.52%
  • Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, etc.)

4 6.35%
  • Goldeneye 007 (1997)

19 30.16%
  • Half-Life and Counter-Strike

15 23.81%
  • Unreal and Unreal Tournament

6 9.52%
  • Marathon series

2 3.17%
  • Others

1 1.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best FPS from before 2000?

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheClash603's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheClash603
    PSN
    TheClash603

Other got my vote, because of Unreal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Thief 1 & 2
    I would not classify these as FPS in the classic sense, despite the use of projectile arrows. It is an FPS as in a first person stealth game. If that was included, Thief 2 is heads and tails above the rest as far as enjoyment is concerned for me.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    [Doom 2] far surpasses the original Doom in every measurable way...I was surprised to see the lesser of the two in the poll.
    We're on the same page here, although there's always Ultimate Doom... or even Plutonia.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

For me it would be Goldeneye...loved the single player game, and multiplayer was awsome for the time.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. Thought Quake was the winner. Plenty of good choices, but kind of disappointed with the Goldeneye take over.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My vote goes to Half-Life because it was such a revolutionary experience in my mind that I have to vote for it. I LOVE the Half Life games.

Having said that, I have logged more hours into Doom (and II, level packs, etc) than any other games by far, and I still come back to it a lot. It has an arcadey nature that just makes it so easy to pick up and play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can James Bond beat a minigun wielding Hitler? There's just no way!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    To tell you the truth, I'd edit the options to add "series" to Doom, Quake and Wolf3D and add Counter-Strike, Blood and Unreal Tournament (my mind skipped tracks during the poll's creation,) but, alas, there is no option to edit the poll. Good thing I remembered to add "Others," though.
    Apparently I'm able to do this, so I revised it a bit: I added "series" to Quake, but to make the most of the limited number of poll slots I added "engine" to Doom and Build (Duke Nukem 3D). I also folded Counter-Strike into Half-Life since that started as a HL mod, added Unreal and Unreal Tournament, and since there was one open slot left I added the Marathon series, as while I'm not really a fan I know that it's an important one to classic Mac gamers.

As some who voted for "Others" may have been voting for one of the games that were added, "Others" has been reset to 0. So if you voted for that, hopefully it will let you vote again. But if it's saying you've already voted, just post in this thread with your choice and I'll add it in manually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is this even a discussion? Goldeneye wins beyond a shadow of a doubt in all of these polls.

I remember playing it and being "wowed" by the AI at the time. Guards would actually come to your location if you shot an automatic without a silencer! Guards would occasionally pull out grenades and chuck them your way (and not overdue it every other second like in Halo).

Graphics have indeed aged but that was the pinnacle of my gaming day. Tons of replay value in the multiplayer, and tons of replay value in missons with target times. You'd be the envy of the kids in the neighborhood if you could get all of the cheats unlocked yourself (which I was quite proud to do).
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Pff, Goldeneye. Fun? Yes. Best? No. That honor belongs to System Shock 2. That game came out in 1999 and was years ahead of its time. Duke may have had the best humor, Goldeneye is great if you're 8 years old, but SS2 wins out every day of the week, in my book.

PS: I'd be willing to give honors to Zero Tolerance on a pure hardware nerdery scale, for it's ability to link two Genesis consoles.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    How is this even a discussion? Goldeneye wins beyond a shadow of a doubt in all of these polls.
    I see plenty of room for discussion - and differing opinions, for that matter. 1992-2000 was a bit of a heyday for the genre, particularly on the PC. There were a slew of genre-defining titles coming out during this time, with Goldeneye being merely one of them.

And, this may seem hard to believe, but not everyone was nuts about Goldeneye. "Back in the day" I remember having a really hard time trying to figure out what all the hype was about. I was primarily a PC gamer, and was already by that time playing pretty fast-paced 16-32 player matches of Team Fortress online.

And coming from that, I was introduced by a friend to this other game that maxed out at 4 players who felt like they were walking and aiming in molasses and couldn't jump. Today I'm more appreciative of it as being groundbreaking for the console and sort of the starting point for what the FPS experience would eventually evolve into on it, but that was my impression of it at the time, as there seemed to be a real tangible disparity between that and what was going on in the PC world by that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I see plenty of room for discussion - and differing opinions, for that matter. 1992-2000 was a bit of a heyday for the genre, particularly on the PC. There were a slew of genre-defining titles coming out during this time, with Goldeneye being merely one of them.

And, this may seem hard to believe, but not everyone was nuts about Goldeneye. "Back in the day" I remember having a really hard time trying to figure out what all the hype was about. I was primarily a PC gamer, and was already by that time playing pretty fast-paced 16-32 player matches of Team Fortress online.

And coming from that, I was introduced by a friend to this other game that maxed out at 4 players who felt like they were walking and aiming in molasses and couldn't jump. Today I'm more appreciative of it as being groundbreaking for the console and sort of the starting point for what the FPS experience would eventually evolve into on it, but that was my impression of it at the time, as there seemed to be a real tangible disparity between that and what was going on in the PC world by that point.
    Exactly my point. FPS were widely regarded as superior on the PC (many people may still argue that), yet the consolized Goldeneye is winning the poll? That alone speaks to the greatness of this game. And this is coming from a forum full of nostalgia, put this poll on gamefaqs and it'd be a landslide victory.

Every title other than Goldeneye was a PC title with consolized ports (if at all). The only games on this list with even halfway decent weapon arsenals are Half-Life, Unreal and Goldeneye. They actually have pistols, assault rifles, snipers, mines, grenades, rocket launchers, etc. Quake / Doom / Wolfenstein are your generic weapon sets of melee / pistol / shotgun / rocket launcher and some gore melee weapon like a chainsaw. Not to mention proximity mines in Goldeneye are about the coolest weapon ever.

You guys can argue and discuss whatever you want, but you still have a console game dominating a poll of (what was thought to be) a PC genre . Case closed.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

No love for Monolith engine? I thought Shogo: Mobile suit armor was great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goldeneye usually wins because its the one people have the most experience with and its the game that most people brush the dust off of more than the others.

That one exception being "Counter-Strike" since it is still widely played (which also mean the game really can't capitalize on nostalgia, its still being played!).

On Goldeneye; once you relearn how to play the multiplayer is still just as much fun as in the old days. It just requires a very different mindset to play right; you have to read the radar like book if you even want a prayer of doing well. At the same time, the single player in Goldeneye has aged horribly. Even Wolfenstein has aged better (probably because Wolfenstein is a first person maze game before a true fps).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I still stick with my decision of Duke Nuke em 3d, but now that Unreal Tournament is being counted, I choose that as my 2nd choice. It technically barely makes it into the pre-2000 era of fps games. Released in November 1999 on PC, and in the 2000's on consoles. I think it was the 2000 game of the year. Graphically better looking, better multiplayer, and great upgrade to the genre.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

To be honest, while I really do like Counter-Strike, it's way too damn competitive online, a very difficult game indeed. It is revolutionary though, and the fact that it's still being played goes to show how great of a game Counter-Strike really is.

But to be honest, I still prefer Goldeneye. One of the Best console FPSes ever for sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think i've spent more time in Unreal Tournament (and Medal of Honor Allied Assault) during my high school years then i did on school stuff

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Goldeneye will win something like this because people remember how much fun it was to sit around with their friends in the same room and play the game. I agree, it was a blast! However, if you take any of the other games and play them in the same room with your friend, I think the results would be very different. Or alternatively, if you take Goldeneye and only play it with people over a network, it would suffer a lot. The point I've already probably overblown is that a good chunk of the fun of Goldeneye was smacking your friend upside the head when he/she got you with a proximity mine. Beer may or may not have played a role depending on how old/what access you had.

And I agree with an above comment; if System Shock 2 was on the list I'd have voted for it. For those only familiar with Bioshock, to make that game they took everything that was great about SS2 and removed it. Except for atmosphere, they did keep a cool atmosphere, though that's debatable since not everyone liked that part of Bioshock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going with Half life, it's one of my top ten games of all time. Pc gamers who played Duke, Doom, SS2 might scoff at Goldeneye. We were playing games online years before (still might be a good game though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Goldeneye was '99 right?
    Nope, Goldeneye 007 was released in August 1997.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quake is the best all-around series. It has very good single player and multiplayer games, even though it's not the very best at either of those things.