Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Console/computer you like that others "Hate" on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Loguidice View Post
    There is actually some debate about whether the actual crash was '83 or '84. To me, '84 is the more accurate date because that's when the effects of the crash started to be felt by consumers. The argument for the '83 date is related to more of what was going on behind the scenes, so to speak.
    QFT. Thank you. I agree with you completely. I get so sick of everybody talking about the "video game crash of 1983". I was there, and as far as I could see at the time, everything was still going very strong in 1983. I definitely noticed the change in 1984 when piles and piles of video games were stacked up on tables in Kay-bee for dirt cheap. I was in hog heaven. But the date, from my point of view as a consumer, was most definitely 1984. (I think I've posted my stance on this a time or two in the past.)

And I love many of the systems mentioned--Atari 5200, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, Lynx, TI-99 4/A.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All of them.

I have yet to play one I didn't like or I didn't see any redeeming qualities in. From 1977 forward I can't think of a single system that didn't have something I enjoyed or admired.

Why people waste their time bagging on the CD-I, Jaguar, 3DO etc I have no idea.

The reason I don't spend as much time as I used to on forums and blogs is the continuous dogpiling on the Wii and the PSPgo.

If I have to pick one system, PSPgo, but I'm so tired of arguing about it I'm not even going to go into the reasons.

To answer more strictly in terms of consoles, I've never made a secret of my 3DO love. EVERY time I've seen someone post about how the system sucks I ask them to list the 3DO games they have played, and there is NEVER a response.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am one of the few people I know of that really liked the audio on Virtual Boy. Nevermind the games or the 3D capabilities, the thing sounds great. The audio is more iconic for me than the red and black graphics, oddly. As for the actual games, Telleroboxer and Red Alarm were pretty good, but everything else, meh. Still waiting for a Doom port...

Saturn is a great console, but we all know how PSX did better. I preferred the rendering style of Saturn a lot more than PSX. PSX 3D looks "unhealthy," while Saturn's 3D polygons looked more solid.

There's a bit of ill will toward the N64, but again, I throw the rendering argument at that. Super Mario 64 looked better with its gourad shading than most textured games on PSX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great responses people! In just 4 days I have had 12 video responses which is more than I expected, great seeing all your comments and watching vids of your choices! Thanks everyone.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

To answer more strictly in terms of consoles, I've never made a secret of my 3DO love. EVERY time I've seen someone post about how the system sucks I ask them to list the 3DO games they have played, and there is NEVER a response.
    One of the reasons I stated this, I to tire of people who jump on the bandwagon, a big percentage of people who bring up the same old tired arguments and complaints about Jaguar/3DO/Virtual Boy/CDi have never even owned one let alone played one in person. I don't mind people who have legit complaints but without personal first hand experience please just STFU.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    One of the reasons I stated this, I to tire of people who jump on the bandwagon, a big percentage of people who bring up the same old tired arguments and complaints about Jaguar/3DO/Virtual Boy/CDi have never even owned one let alone played one in person. I don't mind people who have legit complaints but without personal first hand experience please just STFU.
    The bandwagon of hate is very hard to get past in the gaming world. So many good games and systems get the bum rap due to the bandwagon. I know people who treat the Dreamcast as if it were a gameless disease due to the fact that it failed to continue on in the marketplace like other consoles.
    DERP

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I know people who treat the Dreamcast as if it were a gameless disease due to the fact that it failed to continue on in the marketplace like other consoles.
    Though I don't hate the Dreamcast I can't really think of any games for it that I like. I know of the Sonic Adventure games, but people either seem to like them or hate them. I remember playing the Dreamcast at various kiosks whenever I went to the mall, but I never found anything I really liked for it. I couldn't get into the Crazy Taxi games or Space Channel 5, and I can't remember any of the other games that I've played.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I <3 the Virtual Boy. I never got the headaches and could play 30-40 min. of Tennis or Teleroboxing.

I always wanted to try Jack Bros. and some of the JP exclusives. I miss having a working set still :/
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamacst, without a doubt!

Back in the day, didn't seem to matter ware or who's house you were at, weather it be a an Atari or Coleco, NES or a genesis, 3DO, Saturn or whatever. when your eye caught any game system! You were like fire that up! What games you got?

The first personal hate on a game console for me was when my kid brought over some other kids from up the block and seen me playing my Dreamcast and not but 3 seconds later said "Dreamcast SUX! PS2 Rulz..."!

Right then and there, with a right sided head snap and a Dirty Harry stare. WTF!? That hole PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube and Xbox gen war really came out of the wood work, no? people were hate'n on the web, even hate'n at the game stores sometimes. sheeeesssh..

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say for me a console I like that is hardly described as "popular" nowadays is Intellivision. It had a lot of shovelware but there are a dozen or so very good games that are easy to play and excellent to occupy your time for a while. Talking about games like Lock'n'Chase, Discs of Tron, Night Stalker, Astrosmash, Shark shark, Skiing; basic but fun titles. The plug'n'play Intellivision sucks, the games are a bad relative to the proper console and don't even play or look the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    I'd say for me a console I like that is hardly described as "popular" nowadays is Intellivision. It had a lot of shovelware but there are a dozen or so very good games that are easy to play and excellent to occupy your time for a while. Talking about games like Lock'n'Chase, Discs of Tron, Night Stalker, Astrosmash, Shark shark, Skiing; basic but fun titles. The plug'n'play Intellivision sucks, the games are a bad relative to the proper console and don't even play or look the same.
    That was my choice as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccd8drQrXe8
    I have in my Soul and in my Veins