Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Controversial game statements you stand by

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Halo Series is one of the most lackluster and boring successful franchises in the history of video gaming.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System is the greatest gaming platform in existence today.

Final Fantasy 3(6) is far superior to 7 in every way (including graphically).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Auto-Fox View Post
    The Fairchild Channel F is a superior piece of hardware to the Atari 2600.
    Personally, the Channel F may have potential for things that are head-over heels better than the 2600, but considering it uses an eight color palette and is virtually unknown, it won't be pretty or well recognized. The 2600 beat it solely because it had three things- plenty of room for programming techniques, an expandable hardware setup, and it came from a company with prior experience, this time being the arcade business. Most major companies came from this (Nintendo, Sega, etc.), but seeing as companies like Coleco, Mattel and Fairchild had little to no beforehand experience, they made mistakes that cost them their chance at success.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mortal Kombat, on Sega Genesis, is the best video game ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Pokemon games are for effeminate children.

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You want controversial? This is the best, most acidic stuff I can come up with. I haven't posted here in at least half a year, but this thread got me to come back.

- Members of game collecting forums act like friends in discussion threads, but when it comes to cash sales for desirable stuff, they'll pretty much lowball and try to screw over anyone they perceive in need of quick money. There are no friends in business.

- Classic game discussions here are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel. I stopped coming for a long time after there was a serious thread where OCD folks were discussing the serious documenting of inner cardboard tray variants for the N64. And cripes, look at the threads now: people are getting all worked up over threads asking about "simultaneous releases for N64 and SNES" "what is the number of video games? O_o" and someone complaining about some pothead owning a zelda test cart.

- Anyone with two or more big titted anime girl statues and wall scrolls in their home probably doesn't have a girlfriend.

- Guys that demand their significant others be a gamer really have no clue about what's most important in a relationship, and the chicks they end up with leave them picking from a demographic just as socially retarded as the one that they're from.

- Lots of people acquire or want to own rare items, such as prototypes, just for bragging rights, or the perception that they're valuable, and not because they have a genuine interest in their content.

- About 75 percent of the YouTube gamer community posting Finds and Unboxing videos are mouth breathing aspergers neckbeards with no idea of how to verbally communicate, or snaggled toothed rednecks that are borderline illiterate.

- At least 50 percent of people that buy Dead or Alive titles on launch day will masturbate to the game later that night.

- Anime is annoying as shit most of the time, and its most hardcore fans use it as an escapism tool to cope with and escape from a reality where they are regarded as socially retarded and unsavory.

- The kind of people collectors complain about, that more or less abuse their games and systems, and treat them in a very utilitarian fashion rather than as a collectible, are probably leading richer lives than the people that meticulously bag, store and itemize collections of barely played games in their basement for a decade.

- The video game industry underpays its staff compared to other software development industries, such as enterprise application development, knowing full well that fanboys desperate to be involved with their obsession will accept the shitty wages.

- Most companies that make the claim, "We wanted to do something special for the fans" are full of shit if what they did "for the fans" brought in additional revenue that made it worth the effort.

- Every idiot wants to record or write video game reviews, but very few even consider whether there is a need to do so, or whether they can bring anything new to the table before they begin.

- Don't post about the awesome video game you're "making" unless you can either program or are 50% or more along in the development process, because it's never going to materialize. You're probably just looking to express you excitement after making the decision an hour previous, want attention, or are 12 years old.

- Seeing video game forum members on YouTube has crushed my images of them. Even guys like Happy Console Gamer and Gamester81 are pretty nerdy, all things considered.

- PeteDorr is popular with 12 year olds because he buys lots and lots of recent, popular games, flashes them onscreen, and gives them easy-to-digest soundbites that their short attention spans can handle.

- Leaving video games sealed is fine. It's no different than collecting a figurine, a baseball card, or some other item desirable for its collectibility or presentability. A game may be "ZOMG ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED!!!!11one" but unless it's an incredibly rare title that nobody can play, it doesn't mean shit. It's not taking anything away from anyone else. Most folks have an opened copy as well.

- Once you gain a strong understanding of game development, action, adventure and survival horror titles lose a lot of their charm and mystique. You can anticipate the designers and where they placed AI pathing splines or collision detection and other components that make the environments more obviously just a string of event scripts and bots running around.

- I'm not fully convinced that cleaning SNES or Genesis games is really necessary unless the game is visibly dirty. Beyond the NES, we don't exactly have people spraying their saliva and lung moisture condensation onto the contacts in an effort to increase their conductivity.

- It's tiring seeing people constantly trying to shoehorn stats and information about their collections into completely irrelevant discussions. Nobody cares about what you have unless they think they can buy it off you cheap and they're getting a steal in the process. Then they'll brag about it on the forums in a completely unrelated discussion.

- Unboxing videos for games and systems are second only to reaction videos in terms of doing the absolute minimum work possible to make a youtube video.

- Owning a ton of crap doesn't make you superior or better than the next gamer. A list of consoles you own is not a list of gamer qualifications. Nobody cares. If you are so insecure about your hobby that you have to parade around what makes you superiority to someone that just started, then you really need to examine your life and find something else to take pride in, like real world accomplishments.

- Gamers that don't listen to any music aside from game and anime soundtracks and novelty bands like Weird Al piss me off. Not everything in the rest of your life has to relate to your enjoyment of video games.

- I don't want to be one of those gray haired old guys with big ole prescription glasses and a beard doing youtube videos and getting comments from teenagers 20 years from now. I'm transitioning to other hobbies.

- Buying games upon release, unless it's from a series that you absolutely must play right now, or has some kind of incentive to preorder like a bonus item... is like throwing your money away.

- Most larger game company release schedules and lists are not the product of creative, talented individuals. They're the product of marketing teams determining what will sell the best given the market climate, available IPs and competing products, and are often aided by focus groups filled with idiot teenagers telling them what they like.

- Companies don't give a shit what you think when they ask questions on social networking site accounts or websites. It's usually just posted and forgotten by some contracted marketing guy managing websites for a dozen different companies, and its goal is to just get the people reading it to comment and get worked up into a frothy frenzy and create buzz about the game, not receive your unwanted and likely ill-formed input. They just want you babbling amongst yourselves, getting amped up to buy another 100 units of the game.

- Every hour you spend playing games is an hour you could have spent doing something creative or productive. Game in moderation and try to make sure that the rest of the foundation for a quality life is in place. Gaming is just the sprinkles on top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Playstation Move is nothing but a blatant ripoff of the Wii and PS3 trophies are nothing but third rate 360 achievements.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

@ tubeway: ouch! Most of it I agree with, though.

Here's one: microcosm for the Amiga CD32 is the best fmv-based game ever designed. It's gorgeous, sounds amazing, and while not the best shmup ever, is a legitimate, challenging shooter that's probably harder than ikaruga to beat without cheating.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Windwaker is the best Zelda game.

Twilight Princess created a great physical world but destroyed it with the complete lack of emotion and a horrid and predictable story.

Most American developers have no idea how to program for the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speaking of YouTube, I have a grievance myself. The vast majority of people who do LPs (Let's Play) on YouTube are boring or play a game that 20 other people have played already (Legend of Zelda, Mario anything). If you're going to do one, play a game that no one or few people have played, or at least play it differently (speed, blind, sequence breaking runs). No one cares about your complaining or doing a play-by-play of the action, you should be funny, interesting, or informative when you play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Nintendo Gamecube was as legitimately a good console as anything else out at the time, and is definitely a more interesting machine than the Wii.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a few:

• Tengen Tetris is overrated. Nintendo's official version is far better.
    • Battlefield Bad Company 2 has a better overall multiplayer experience than the recent COD games.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    You want controversial?... [continues on with a mammoth bucketful of win]
    I'm surprised you didn't start with, "This is tubeway speaking."

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't start with, "This is tubeway speaking."
    Haha, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Sega 32X barely beats out the Atari Jaguar as one of the worst mainstream (relatively) systems to ever be released.

Knuckles Chaotix is a horrible game, yet people try to pretend it's good.

The Jaguar also sucks bigtime, only having a couple of games worth playing, but it's still light years ahead of the 32X, further demonstrating how lame the 32X is.

Panasonic 3DO is one of the most underrated gaming systems. People don't give the 3DO much respect, because few people played it in very late 1993 or early 1994. People that played it when it first came out, and played games like Crash N Burn and Total Eclipse know that the 3DO was absolutely mindblowing when it first hit the scene. Sure, once the Saturn and PS1 arrived, the 3DO was take out back and shot and left for dead, but I just think people don't give the system any credit when in 1994 it had games like Road Rash and Escape from Monster Manor and Slayer and Out of this World and a bunch of other games.

The Super Nintendo, pound for pound, pretty much steamrolls over EVERYTHING.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Haha, thanks.
    Yup, I pretty much agree with everything you said.

What struck my nerve the most was the cleaning the games statement. I used to go to retrowaretv.com because they're have some interesting videos usually about some obscure game or what have you but then there was on video where they were giving their tips on cleaning a game. It was an NES game and every time I get a new one, I'll get a q-tip and wipe the pins, or whatever it is on the cart that actually holds the data, with some water and dry it just to get whatever gunk off of it. I do that with every new cart I get when I first get it just to take any foreign dirt off of it and I'll at least know it's clean when I tiuck it away. My problem wasn't the fact that they were cleaning a cart but they just went overboard with it.

They opened up the cart and cleaned the card with alcohol. But to open the game they had to have a special tool to be able to uncrew the screws on the back of the cart. Then they would also have to buy a bottle of alcohol. Such pointless, useless shit and I didn't want to become like that so I just started selling off some of my collection. Mostly carts because you can emulate all that stuff and I probably didn't play most of my carts in years anyway.

I don't know why but there was something about that video where I was just like, this is not cool and just started looking at games for their entertainment value than any collectible or sentimental value. Maybe that's some other peoples cup of tea but was not mine.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Ebay sniping, while technically legal, is horrendously unethical, and is essentially one step from stealing. If you can't afford the item, go to school and get a decent job. Just bid what you're willing to pay and see what happens.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Ebay sniping, while technically legal, is horrendously unethical, and is essentially one step from stealing. If you can't afford the item, go to school and get a decent job. Just bid what you're willing to pay and see what happens.
    Is that where you bid at the absolute last second and win by maybe a cent, yea that sucks,it's exactly why I don't ever do auctions,I just buy it now and spend my money wisely.

Ask for something I stand by,games are met to be played with someone else, in the room on the same TV.

I mean,I don't mind online gaming,but it's gotten way out of hand. Who wants to pay for something that was free in the first place, not to mention with people you don't know! Also get yelled at just because some spoiled brat just got shot and is throwing a fit and saying you can't do that, that's how you play the game dumb ass!

I say just invite your friends over when ever they have the time, hook it up to a big TV or projector and play games in person with the people you know and love, it's more fun that way, always has been and always will be.

BTW,yay post 900 :P
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emceelokey View Post
    Then they would also have to buy a bottle of alcohol.
    Forgetting everything else that you said, I find it bizarre that you got hung up on the purchase of a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I don't believe I have ever, in my life, known a person who doesn't have a bottle of rubbing alcohol somewhere in their house.

Did you ever watch a video online of someone and think "they would also have to buy that pair of pants they're wearing"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

What if you bid what you're willing to pay in the last 5 seconds?
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the difference, if you don't mind my asking? For example, if your max bid is $15.00, and I bid $15.01, what's it to you if I do so two days before the auction closes, or two seconds? It doesn't change what either of us were willing to pay, does it?

I know this is the controversial thread and all, but really, I'd love a little enlightenment as to how this at all relates to theft, or any sort of "unethical" behavior, for that matter.