Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Years of Super Mario World

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 20 Years of Super Mario World

It might shock some people, and probably be missed out in the wake of the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., but November 21, 2010 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the Super Famicom, along with its flagship title, Super Mario World. This game served as the main selling point for the system when it was released, and is still regarded as one of the greatest SNES games. I have written an article about this wonderful game, including a close look at the extensive list of Super Mario World hacks.

Click Here for article
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

As a kid, the excitment for this game coming out was unlike any other. I remember reading (what little I could at age 5) every issue of Nintendo Power that came in the mail. I even remember seeing a picture of an early build of the overworld map screen and a regular stage screenshot. I believe these were the ones:

When I saw those pics in the magazine, I was blown away. I remember telling my friends that "Super Mario Bros. 4 was coming out!" Oh man... those were the days!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

At the time it came out I just got my NES hehe

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great article OP. Super Mario World is still my favorite Mario game, and it's a shame that it's being overlooked. Still, I'm sure they'll make a big deal when it's the 25th anniversary for SMW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the SNES the first Christmas it was out in the U.S., 1991. I was in 8th grade at the time. It came with Super Mario World which I loved, and I also received Contra III: The Alien Wars, F-Zero, Final Fight, and SimCity. That was one of many awesome Christmases!

Super Mario World is a masterpiece. Fantastic level designs, great pace, catchy music, lots of fun. Plus, nice technological touches like real-time reverb inside caves, and sprite scaling and transparency.

Of course, the sequel is another masterpiece.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember my parents getting the SNES for both my brother and me (it eventually became just mine) around the time it came out, I was in 3rd grade at the time and had to go to open house the night we got it. I was able to play Super Mario World for what felt like 10 minutes before we left. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Ah, memories.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it's been about 20 years since the 6 year old me wandered past a game store and saw their import Super Famicom on display. I couldn't believe my eyes. I remember being shocked by the cape Mario was wearing, the spin jump, the giant Bullet Bill, and the way that the ? blocks would turn into brown angry faces after you hit them!

I also thought it was radically foreign and Japanese looking at the time. It looked like such an import back then! That feeling's long since gone, given the amount of time I played my domestic copy... Now it's "just" Mario World. But back then... a strange foreign delight from the future, at a time when SMB3 was ruling the land.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Great article Evan! While I don't care for Super Mario World as much as some of the other 2D Mario games, and I may not have as many fond memories (Didn't get a SNES until the Early-2000s), it's one of the few 2D Marios I've played all the way through to the end, although the save feature is largely to account for that. Never really could justify sitting through an entire game of SMB3, it's just too long.

I have the Super Mario World + All-Stars cart, and I had no idea they even changed Luigi's sprite from a pallette swap to a newer sprite that looks much more like Luigi. Nice observation.

I also wish that there was a prototype possibly of the very early Super Mario World featured in Nintendo Power, those screenshots look drastically different and really fun to play. I also like the different look of the map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yep, 20 years this Sunday for Super Famicom. Crazy how fast time flies. Nice piece Evan. I got into SMW late, but when I finally did, was I ever glad.

One of the best on SNES

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

I still remember buying the SNES on launch day. I still have it and the box it came in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    You wrote in your article:

"Concepts like Mario riding a dinosaur were considered during the development of the NES games, though it was not technically possible to implement."

The main character in several NES games, including Adventure Island II and Adventure Island III, can ride different animals...so it seems like it *was* technically possible to implement after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

ShinobiMan, I remember those screens too! It was around that time my fervent desire turned away from getting Genesis to getting the SNES when it came out. Up until then, I had bought into the "Genesis Does What Nintendon't" campaign and 'arcade perfect' graphics of Genesis (I was in the beginning stages of what might have become Sega Fanboyism).

I ended up getting SNES the day it launched in North America. What a joy!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

I have the Super Mario World + All-Stars cart, and I had no idea they even changed Luigi's sprite from a pallette swap to a newer sprite that looks much more like Luigi. Nice observation.
    They did change that, though if you beat the game as Luigi, it still says "Thank you Mario!"

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always wondered why they dropped the Super Mario Bros 4 in the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember walking into Target's electronics area one day with my family and the Super NES was just there, set up on a small tv at the camera counter with a line of kids arguing over the controller. Remember how things used to sneak out to store shelves back in the day?

Anyway, though I loved my Genesis and Sonic was my favorite game at the time, one look at the new Mario and I was begging my parents for one. We left that day with a Super NES Super Mario World pack in-tow.

I believe I promised to do chores or something to pay it off.

I still owe them $215.49 to this day.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see my hack mentioned! Thanks, Evan!

I still can't believe it's been ~6 years since I first started working on that monstrosity. One of these days I'll get back to it and fix some of the problems it still has (Timer balance being the major one, I believe.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

where does the time go..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    You wrote in your article:

"Concepts like Mario riding a dinosaur were considered during the development of the NES games, though it was not technically possible to implement."

The main character in several NES games, including Adventure Island II and Adventure Island III, can ride different animals...so it seems like it *was* technically possible to implement after all.
    The official line from Miyamoto is indeed that it was not technically possible. It has been speculated that Adventure Island II and III did come out after SMB3's Japanese release, so it could be argued that technical skill in Famicom programming simply had not evolved sufficiently at that point.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    The official line from Miyamoto is indeed that it was not technically possible. It has been speculated that Adventure Island II and III did come out after SMB3's Japanese release, so it could be argued that technical skill in Famicom programming simply had not evolved sufficiently at that point.
    Yeah, I thought about that, but still...the fact that Hudson was able to accomplish something on the NES that Nintendo/EAD couldn't is surprising.

EDIT: By the way, I just read that as of December 2000, Konami owns Hudson. I had no idea.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-19-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great article, I read your site all the time. Funny how the DKC Returns comes out on the 20 years after the release.(11-21-10)