Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 20 First Person Shooters (FPS) of All Time

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briskbc
    I would replace Powereslave with the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series. These are incredible games that actually did justice to Star Wars (unlike other games).
    Same here,much better.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What?

TekWar wsn't on that list????

For shame

Alex Kidd

I'm a sarcastic bastard, so what?
    actually, aside from a few bugs in the engine, and had the artificial intelligence been as good as they claimed in ads and in the manual, it COULD have been a VERY good game... had good ideas and premises... but ended up HORRIBLE
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PO'ed, PSX version. Weirdest FPS I ever played. IIRC the final level has you floating in outer space, flying around a giant toilet. Did anyone ever play this game called Paper Doom? it was Paper - something, can't remember the name exactly. I played the demo of it. All the enemies look like a little kid drew them with a pencil on paper and they're paper thin cut-outs.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by threeoclockhigh
    rank those versions of Doom for me if you would.......
    I've only played Doom on the BGA, and I gotta say that:
    It is a fun game. nice graphics, albiet a little low res, nice sound, nice everything.
    BUT it is NOT the Doom We all played to death on our 386s/486s.

It has no Cyber Demon, no Spider-Boss.
    Blood is green.
    Some levels have been omitted.
    Some levels have LOOK like the original level, but once you go thru a few doors, it's an entirely different level.

Plus a small change to gameplay;
    You might as well start on episode one, cause once you finish the last level of ep1 you start ep2 with all your weapins and items. So starting on ep2, saves some time, but leaves you to start with very little.

I am yet to know anyone else with Doom for the GBA so I am yet to comment on it's multiplayer feature. Tho I would really like to try it.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I´ll add Wolfenstein 3D and also...Catacomb 3D (Old PC game from ID), someone played that????

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 that I really enjoy are Serious Sam and Turok (on Xbox)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    Quote Originally Posted by threeoclockhigh
    rank those versions of Doom for me if you would.......
    I've only played Doom on the GBA, and I gotta say that:
    It is a fun game. nice graphics, albiet a little low res, nice sound, nice everything.
    BUT it is NOT the Doom We all played to death on our 386s/486s.

It has no Cyber Demon, no Spider-Boss.
    Blood is green.
    Some levels have been omitted.
    Some levels have LOOK like the original level, but once you go thru a few doors, it's an entirely different level.

Plus a small change to gameplay;
    You might as well start on episode one, cause once you finish the last level of ep1 you start ep2 with all your weapins and items. So starting on ep2, saves some time, but leaves you to start with very little.

I am yet to know anyone else with Doom for the GBA so I am yet to comment on it's multiplayer feature. Tho I would really like to try it.

Alex Kidd
    If the lack of enemies in GBA Doom is bugging you, then get Doom ][ for GBA. It's got all your favorite baddies. It's also in higher resolution, which forces a slight drop in the framerate at times. But who cares? Just get it!

Oh, there is one annoying bug in the Doom ][ GBA cart that I have; maybe someone else can confirm this (or let me know if my cart is just crap). I'm playing in the highest difficulty level (would have been "ultra-violence" on the PC, but called "nightmare" here; no double-speed respawning monsters, though). If I end a level with armor, then when I take a hit in the next level it acts like I'm not wearing any armor at all! The armor number remains the same and I just take all the damage to health. This glitch stops if I pick up some armor on the next level (either an armor vest or spiritual armor helmets). However, if my armor is 100 or more, then I can't pick up a green armor vest! It's such a pain in the ass that I've taken to just starting each new level from scratch, which is the way that hard-core space marines do it anyway.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Top 20 First Person Shooters (FPS) of All Time

this list is really one of the worst top lists i have ever seen, and i suppose this is because a lot of u guys are console-only players, ok i'll comment the several games:

Delta Force 1 (PC), this is not a real fps, it's a tactical shooter, and those really should get an own list, but not be included here

Deus Ex (PC/PS2), not an fps, definetly, you could finish the game nearly without shooting

Doom (series), must be included, though u should name it Doom 1 + 2 and make Doom 3 a different entry after release, it differs to much

Duke Nukem (series), good entry

Goldeneye 007 (N64), definetly right
    Half-Life (PC), ditto
    Halo (Xbox), ditto

Kingpiin (PC), omg this game is crap, really, i don't know how anyone could include this one

Medal of Honor (series), good choice

No One Lives Forever (PC), correct, but add 2 or make it (series)
    Perfect Dark (N64), correct

Power Slave (PC/Sat/PSX), mh reallly don't know this one, perhaps other name in europe??? or not released in germany??

Quake (series), must entry

Redneck Rampage (PC), mh debatable, it is good and it's so funny, but is it good enough? i don't know

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC), perhaps, I didn't like it, but that could be me

Rise of the Triad (PC), yeah, good choice

Serious Sam (PC), mhhh ok yes, due to the mp mode

Soldier of Fortune (PC/PS2/DC), NO it's definetly not good enough for this list

Thief Gold (PC), NOT an fps at all, just has 3D perspective

Unreal Tournament (series), right, but what about the unreal series???

i'll list some that should be taken into consideration:

Dark Forces
    Outlaws
    Sin
    Jedi Knight Series (perhaps including Dark Forces)
    Star Trek: Voyager Series
    Gunman Chronicles
    Catacomb 3D
    Hexen 1+2
    Terminator: Future Shock + SkyNet
    Blood Series
    Turok Series
    Alien vs. Predator Series
    Wheel of Time
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Power Slave (PC/Sat/PSX), mh reallly don't know this one, perhaps other name in europe??? or not released in germany??
    I think it was called Exhumed in Europe. I think.

This list has to be updated. There are a lot of good suggestions in the last 2 pages that should be added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely don't agree with this top 20 list. I'd have to say that a lot of stuff is wrong or missing. I'd remove Delta Force, Duke Nukem (series), Kingpin, No One Lives Forever, Power Slave, Redneck Rampage, and the Unreal Tournament series. Delta Force bombed hard and wasn't good, Kingpin was ok, but I didn't think it was groundbreaking, Redneck Rampage...well UGH, No one lives forever is just sad too. Duke and UT I removed to alter. Here's what SHOULD be there:

Doom (series) (PC, assorted platforms)

System Shock (series) (PC) Groundbreaking stuff, both of em! Ability to do all sorts of things, tells an awesome story too!

Deus Ex (PC) Very impressive story with unheard of ability to use many multiple methods to accomplish tasks!

Duke Nukem 3D (PC, Genesis) Remember...you can't add the Duke series
    cause most of them were side scrollers!

Goldeneye (N64) No question there

Half-Life (PC)

Halo (XBox)

Wolfenstein 3D (PC, assorted platforms)

Quake (series) (PC)

Thief (series) (PC) these ARE FPS...just stealth FPS. VERY cool!

Dark Forces (series, including Jedi Outcast) (PC)

Unreal (series, including Unreal Tournament) (PC)

Serious Sam (series) (PC) These totally blew away all previous ideas of graphics standards for PC, and at $20...that's impressive!

Rise of the Triad (PC)

Aliens Vs. Predator (PC and Jaguar) Both versions set new standards for innovations. The jaguar version with multiple species to play, and the ability to impregnate foes to breed aliens and gain extra lives, and the PC one with the nifty vision modes, blistering speed of the aliens, and ability to play the aliens and run on ANY surface

Return to Castle Wolfenstien (PC, XBox) I'd say that this game is BARELY related to the original and qualifies for a separate slot.

Soldier of Fortune High Violence version! (PC)

Heretic series (PC, series, including Hexens) These were based on the Doom and Quake engines, sure, but they were DAMNED good! Not to mention, they were the first fantasy FPS games I ever played and teh unique hub structure of Hexen was really cool!

Realms of the Haunting (PC) Unique level design, storytelling in an FPS...a bit slow, but an amazing game! A lot of people either never played it or forgot about this one though....

Battlefield 1942 (PC) The ultimate online FPS? Sure it's not ALL FPS, but it's amazing and addictive nonetheless! Quite impressive actually!

That's what I'd list....but feel free to disagree!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maxlords i really can't agree with u on Nolf as this is one the most innovative and funny fps ever made

comments on some of ur suggestions:

System Shock series: absolutely not an fps, these are really more rpgs/adventure/whatever mixture with first-person perspective

Deus Ex: well, i already said that above

Serious Sam (series) (PC) These totally blew away all previous ideas of graphics standards for PC, and at $20...that's impressive!
    WHAT??? this was by far not the best looking pc-fps when it was released, and the look also wasn't SO special, the gameplay was, but not the graphics! $20??? it was released at full-price afaik and not for $20

Heretic series: i assume u include the hexen games here, what u have to think of is the fact that heretic 2 is third-person-perspective, so it's definetly not an fps

Realms of the Haunting: mh i really do not remember it very well but as far as i do i'm thinking that it wasn't an fps but an adventure, right?

Battlefield 1942: i thought about adding this one, too, but i decided that it's not the right list, this is a tactical-online-shooter, if u would add it, you would also have to add Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat and some more (oh and DoD should be prefered to BF42 as this is just a clone of DoD, as is RtCW-MP)[/quote]
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default What qualifies as an FPS?

Some of these quibbles are just disagreements on what constitutes an FPS. If you disqualify Deus Ex just because killing wasn't always mandatory, then you could almost disqualify NOLF because you could go through a lot of that game with stealth, too. You DID have to kill in Deus Ex in two places - so where's the limit? In Thief you don't have to kill anybody, and in a lot of missions you can't if you're playing on expert.

Killing (or lack thereof) should not, IMO, disqualify something from being on the list. If the main obstacles in the game are overcome through using weapons (whether they happen to knock-out or gib an opponent is inconsequential) or items in a first-person view, then wouldn't it qualify?

Deus Ex definitely belongs on there. System Shock was great, too. Are some people just miffed that they can't use all weapons during the course of the game? That shouldn't disqualify it, either. Forcing the player to make choices and use a little bit of strategy in their fight isn't a bad thing. If used to good effect, it can really spice up the game.

The original Wolfenstein definitely belongs there, too. "Halten Sie!" "Mein Leben!" Catacomb 3D wasn't anywhere near as good, IMO.

I don't think SiN should be on the list. I didn't think it was all that good. Mediocre graphics, not great AI, little interactivity...all it had was some corporate exec female running around in revealing clothes.

Future Shock + SkyNet wasn't that bad...you could drive around in cars and such, which was pretty groundbreaking for the time. Command & Conquer: Renegade did a much better job of it, though (even better in some ways than Halo - I mean, Halo does not have the Mammoth Tank! BADOOM!). Now THAT is a fun multiplayer shooter.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mh i have to admit that deus ex is debatable, i think even the mags didn't know how to call it back then, what do others think?

but system shock, man this really isn't a fps, if u count this as an fps you would also have to count a lot of rpgs and other 3d-games

and in thief the aim was not tol kill anyone at all, this is definetly against the definition of an fps, it's not an fps just because u can/have to use weapons, the weapons in thief are not ment to be weapons most of the time, they are gadgets

you didn't like sin? mh i thought it was one of most atmospheric shooter of that time, and graphics imho weren't mediocre, not for that time, but, as i said, it was just a suggestion

c&c renegade, well, in fact, it didn't have anything revolutionary, not the graphics, not the gameplay, nothing, it was and is a very good game, but in no way special imho
    -Jan

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if Return to Castle Wolfenstein is on the list, then most other games based on the Q3 engine should be too, as they are all quite similar.

Perfect Dark, although good, is just Goldeneye Part 2 in my opinion and does not need to be on the list. (James, you got a sex change?)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um... System Shock 2 anyone?
    Clive Barker's Undying

And these should count too:

Ultima Underworld I & II
    Arx Fatalis

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

perfect dark should be there even though it is not as good as goldeneye, but it still is one of the best fps games ive played

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thief wasn't a First Person Shooter, really. Though you do have a bow and arrow, it's not a shooter.

I'd pull Redneck Rampage and put in System Shock instead. Or System Shock 2 instead.

Rise of the Triad is a fun game, but the only fun levels for me were in the demo. The actual game was ugly and boring throughout.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

uuhhmmm....sorry but what about "Metroid Prime"????
    HäH??????? Where is it?
    I know that it isn't "just" a FPS cause the 2D stages(and it's still more FPS than Deus) BUT I definitive have to say that it is the best and MOST innovating FPS in years!
    You need to add it!
    hhmm....everyone seems to forget it ,damn!

anyone please me ??!!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, where is it, anyways?

Also, don't see any of Raven's highly underrated titles on there, either. Black Crypt and Shadowcaster to Heretic 2, and neither of the awesome Elite Force games from them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Redneck rampage??.. On a "best of" list?!?.....
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for president.

I love classic discussion.