Thread: Shipping to Mexico

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Default Shipping to Mexico

One of my higher priced eBay items hadn't been paid for yet so I went to send an invoice and it shows their address in Mexico. I was a little surprized because my auction states US only. Is there anything I should keep in mind to ship to them? I stopped doing international shipping a while ago because of all the aditional headaches.

The next bidder is in Austrailia(though I think they might be a member here). Do US only items show up in international listings or something???
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

oops...wrong forum. Can someone please move this to Everything Auctions.
    Thanks and sorry about that.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Print your label from paypal. You will have to use Priority mail international(or the more expensive express mail international) but it's worth it because you get a built in tracking number(and you can use flat rate boxes). However, depending on the actual cost of your item you might want to take out some additional insurance on your package. When I sold my graded copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 a dude in Mexico won it. Because it sold for $750 I covered the whole thing with insurance(I think it cost me around $5 or so) on top of the $30+ shipping cost.

Edit--As for your other quiry, I also recently had a dude from Spain win an auction of mine that was for US only bidders. Strategy guides are the only things I only ship to US(and sometimes Canadian) bidders because it may only cost $4 or $5 here to ship to any state with tracking but doing that to other countries raises it to atleast $27 though usually closer to $40 and lots of my strategy guides are the limited/special editions so they have more content and thus weigh more.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 11-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Did you make sure the auction had "No international shipping" ticked when you listed it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I have No International Shipping as default. There was a time when I wouldn't mind but all the additional hoop jumping got to be a pain...and I've been hearing not great things about Mexico's postal service.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If it's a more expensive item, then I would definitely get it insured. Of all the different postal systems that my shipped packages have gone through, Mexico's is probably the one I trust the least. One item I shipped there just plain never showed up, and even if they do make it, who knows what ungodly amount of time it will take or if it'll still be 100% intact.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Canada Post will ship to Mexico, but they WILL NOT insure it. They told me that the package has a 90% chance of getting "lost" or stolen.

/I don't mind shipping anywhere, as long as the buyer wants to pay the rediculous amounts that Canada Post charges....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

It wasn't toooo expensive. It was almost $70 though so it wasn't chump change either. It was also a sealed game so having it opened or the package crushed would pretty much ruin it's value.

I guess I'll just calculate their $30+ shipping, send them an invoice, and hope for the best.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Send it EMS. It's the only way. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've yet to have any major issues with shipping to Mexico beyond the occassional longer shipping times. I've had tracking numbers put on everything so that I could atleast verify they arrived and took out insurance on items that needed it. I have also heard many bad things about Mexico's(and Canada's) postal service but I have been pretty lucky so far except for one package that went missing in Canada(before I started using tracking numbers).
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure its sent priority mail international and not by the small flatrate box or envelope as those do not have international tracking in many cases.

Sounds like you need to go into your ebay settings and find where it says block bidders in countries I dont ship to, and make sure that is selected for future listings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Aside from EMS, the only 100% reliable shipping method for Mexico is : Registered Airmail.

Registering is expensive, but is worth every penny. Is very common that regular airmail and even priority is stolen because the control for those packages is quite loose. Registered Airmail guarantees that you get the item and those register numbers are trackable online.

Anybody can blame the Mexican Postal Service, but the only packages that are stolen regularly are from the US.

I purchase too many stuff from Japan, Hong Kong and Europe on eBay that ship by registered airmail for 5 usd and always arrive. Even stuff from amazon always arrives.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    I purchase too many stuff from Japan, Hong Kong and Europe on eBay that ship by registered airmail for 5 usd and always arrive. Even stuff from amazon always arrives.
    Where are you getting $5 to mail something registered to Mexico? It's $11.50 plus the actual shipping cost. Most buyers aren't going to fork over that much for shipping unless it's a high-priced item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. The package was delivered safe and sound. I ended up using Priority Mail International and other than unraveling the Mexican address format(the address as given wouldn't fit on the forms)everything went pretty smoothly.