Thread: Need New Soldering Iron - What Does Digitpress Recommend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need New Soldering Iron - What Does Digitpress Recommend?

Pretty self explained. I have a ton of games to solder new batteries onto. What brand soldering iron do you guys use and what would be best for replacing save batteries?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm assuming you are new to soldering. If not, never mind what I say, but...

If you are just going to do light load work like that, any cheap one will get you there fine and dandy. You can't go wrong really, until you get into more intense projects. I think Black and Decker has some inexpensive units that have 2 or more heat settings, come with a variety and/or extra tips and has a stand, tray w/cleaning pad and alligator clips on snake arms to free your hands. That would be a good starter unit IMO. It's the one I started with, IIRC.

I would recommend, once you get some practice, to install surface mount coin slots for the batteries. Then when you need to replace, it's just pop open, pop out, pop in and close up.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 12-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I agree. And this is coming from someone who worked professionally with some nice soldering irons for a few years, and then at university before that. At home I just use a cheapy and get by fine with it.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Yup yup, as has been said, for light work every now and then, a $10 iron from Radio Shack or other electronics supply will fit your needs. (may want to buy a desoldering iron too, which after being on the same one for 10+ years, I couldn't live without) If you start doing more work then you might want to take a look at a nice soldering station.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh... I disagree on the cheapo soldering iron. I lived with one for MANY years, and at the time I didn't know any better, so I was totally content with my crappy RS iron. I wouldn't say it'll hold you back from doing anything (I was doing lots of fine surface mount stuff with it), but after upgrading to a temperature controlled station, there's NO going back. I wish I had bought one of them to begin with... though they probably didn't have cheap Chinese knock-offs for like they do now.

I recommend something like: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9672 . I have the official Hakko version of that (what that model ripped off), as well as a larger knock off soldering station, using that same iron, and really, they both solder great. They're WAY better than an iron you'd pick up at Radio Shack.

And when soldering batteries on carts, you have to be careful not to overheat the battery, or it'll burst (I purposefully popped a couple dead ones for fun ). A temperature controlled iron is nice for this, because lots of times the battery is connected to a large ground plane which absorbs a lot of heat. With a normal RS iron, it has a constant power, so the iron actually cools down when soldering large soldering joints. A temperature controlled iron has a temperature sensor at the tip, detects the drop in temperature and ramps up the power (to keep a constant tip temperature). It's better to melt the solder quickly on contact, instead of slowly heating up everything attached to that circuit until you hit the melting point of solder.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one of these from parts-express...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=374-100

I've only used it for one project, but I really like it. (and only 12 bucks)
    I think it works much better than the cheap ones I have owned in the past.
    They sell a 4 pack of different tips for it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just have a 15 dollar Radio Shack iron. It seems to get the job done. And it has a switch on it for 15 amp and 30 amp, so you are not burning things up too easily. For just a simple task like replacing batteries that's all you need. No need for a huge soldering station and everything.

Now if you are gonna get heavy into modding and stuff like that, then I would recommend a nice station.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

when i frist started this my iorns keept getting burnet out.
    one i have now is a cheapey but had this for about 3 years i should get a new one though.
    i was thinking of getting one with a hot air aswell for smd work.