Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ( a Todd Howard joint)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ( a Todd Howard joint)

Wow...

I wasn't expecting another Todd Howard production this quickly after Fallout 3. I guess they must have had this in pre-production during Fallout 3, and as soon as the animators, programmers, etc, etc had finished their respective jobs on Fallout 3, they probably immediately got to work on Skyrim.

I can't wait to see the first screenshots of actual gameplay.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

THAR BE DRAGONS UP IN DIS PIECE. ALSO VIKINGS.

Can't wait. Sold Sold Sold.

2011 looks like it's going to be an expensive year for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm shocked it's coming out this generation. I thought for sure Elder Scrolls V would be a next-gen launch title.

My #1 most anticipated game for next year.

First trailer...http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vg...scrolls/708369
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

With the id software acquisition, I am hoping they will use Rage engine.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Seconded. Gamebryo worked for what they were doing before, but if they want to evolve the gameplay at all, it needs an id engine. Carmack knows how to balance pretty with performance, while Oblivion was mostly just pretty. I know TES is an RPG series, but what they're trying to do really needs smooth action.

Do we have a target platform list? A PC version is likely, but I don't know if the current consoles are up for what I'd expect Skyrim to be. If they're still using the same engine, then I'd go so far as to say I can wait a few years for something new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    If they're still using the same engine, then I'd go so far as to say I can wait a few years for something new.

Look, I'd love a new engine as much as the next guy, but saying that you're simply going to pass on it just because of the game engine? So far, this development team is batting 1,000 as far as I'm concerned. They've released two games this generation (Oblivion and Fallout 3), both of which are considered as possible all-time classics. Oblivion was an amazing game so early in the life-cycle of the Xbox 360.

Someone who never experienced Oblivion in 2006, might not understand how amazing it was when it first hit the scene. It was like the dream game. You play it now, in 2010, and it seems very rough around the edges, with a lot of little nagging issues and bugs.

Fallout 3, improved things a bit, but still was kinda rough around the edges, and still had it's share of bugs. Still, both games are so freaking ambitious. You really have to give Todd Howard's team much props on their two releases this generation. Possibly two of the more ambitious games ever released, in terms of their scope, and potential immersion factor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post

It won't be using the "Rage" Engine...

From IGN (via Kotaku):

Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard explained in a separate interview with IGN that his game would not use id Tech 5. The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments.
    Huh??? I thought the whole point of Rage was to create a "huge, open-world FPS." From the footage I've seen it would be perfect for this sort of thing.

Oh well, at least it's a "new" engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully they revamp the leveling/skill point placement system and the fighting system. As much as I liked Oblivion both of those areas need some work. For combat, something similar to Demons Souls would be great. I am not saying to copy it but it was just so tactical in its approach, rewarding thoughtful strategy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I really hope they do away with the concept of enemies leveling with you. It breaks the game in a lot of places.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I really hope they do away with the concept of enemies leveling with you. It breaks the game in a lot of places.
    This. I hated that about Oblivion. When I am level 30 I want to feel like I am god like and can destroy enemies. On the flip side you can enter any dungeon and know you are a high enough level to take on anything inside.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A howard johnson joint effort? Will it include their delicious breakfasts?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    This. I hated that about Oblivion. When I am level 30 I want to feel like I am god like and can destroy enemies. On the flip side you can enter any dungeon and know you are a high enough level to take on anything inside.
    I thought it was great to still be challenged when I got to a high level. I hate being able to just walk through and smite everything in my path....makes it boring.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I thought it was great to still be challenged when I got to a high level. I hate being able to just walk through and smite everything in my path....makes it boring.

There was always the difficulty slider if you wanted to punish yourself.

Actually...if you think about it, the inclusion of the difficulty slider is only possible if you scale the enemies to the player's level. I'm sure we'll see both return in Skyrim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whose todd howard? is he related to moe howard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i doubt im the first to mention but the only thing i dislike is the lack of classes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    i doubt im the first to mention but the only thing i dislike is the lack of classes.
    What you do in Skyrim defines who you are. Your "class" is a culmination of the skills you've leveled up by using them throughout the game. I can't think of anything more engaging or true to the spirit of a role playing game.

Predefined classes are so limiting and would've wrecked the game IMO. Although I have ~150 hours sunk into Oblivion, I still lament being forced to pick all my class skills in the first few minutes of the game (when I was clueless to what each one actually did). Skyrim's system is perfect in that you're never "locked" into a particular path. This is essential as your character evolves. I used destruction magic a lot in the first 50 hours or so. As the game went on it just wasn't working on high level enemies so I ended up going all sneak/archery for the last 100 hours or so. Oblivion would've made me choose up front and then I'd be stuck with those skills (and never be able to level up). Screw that. I want the freedom to level up whatever skills are useful at that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    What you do in Skyrim defines who you are. Your "class" is a culmination of the skills you've leveled up by using them throughout the game. I can't think of anything more engaging or true to the spirit of a role playing game.

Predefined classes are so limiting and would've wrecked the game IMO. Although I have ~150 hours sunk into Oblivion, I still lament being forced to pick all my class skills in the first few minutes of the game (when I was clueless to what each one actually did). Skyrim's system is perfect in that you're never "locked" into a particular path. This is essential as your character evolves. I used destruction magic a lot in the first 50 hours or so. As the game went on it just wasn't working on high level enemies so I ended up going all sneak/archery for the last 100 hours or so. Oblivion would've made me choose up front and then I'd be stuck with those skills (and never be able to level up). Screw that. I want the freedom to level up whatever skills are useful at that time.
    This.

Im not sure if its the fact I have a short attention span or limited time for gaming these days but IMO Oblivion pretty much forces you to play the game through again, re-picking your skills at the start of the game to suit what you may need later on. Skyrim on the other hand you can play through once and feel like you haven't missed anything.

Skyrim is A+ and dependent on its DLC might go down as one of my favorite games of all time.