Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TG16/PCE/Duo Composite, S-Video, Component Comparison shots

So I modded a couple of units with S-Video using a CXA1645 to convert the RGB into S-Video and a CVS287 to convert RGB to Component. I noticed a big difference in clarity and colors. It looks like the original composite signal is washed out on the TG16/PCE/Duo and much better with the CXA1645. I'm using a 27" JVC CRT SDTV.

TG16/PCE/DUO Composite

Composite out from CXA1645

S-Video out from CXA1645

Component out from CVS287

Requested Component Shots

Last edited by electrochip; 01-29-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nicely done. Yeah, pretty significant upgrade on each of the different signals. S-video really looks great as-is, but colors look a little "truer" to my eyes on the component screenshot. However, the component looks a little bit hotter, like slightly washed-out, but maybe that's just how it looks to me. I'd be elated with either. Thanks for posting!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's mostly lack of camera technique. I point, pray and shoot and see if it comes out well. The Component is a bit sharper with better color definition, but it's not a big jump as composite to s-video. Either is vastly superior to the composite signal.
    Last edited by electrochip; 12-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by electrochip View Post
    it's mostly lack of camera technique. I point, pray and shoot and see if it comes out well. The Component is a bit sharper with better color definition, but it's not a big jump as composite to s-video. Either is vastly superior to the composite signal.
    Definitely. I made an RGB cable for my Genesis a while back and I must say, it's one of those things that you cannot fully appreciate until you see it in person. I mean, yes, I've used emulators, but seeing such a remarkably sharp image coming from the actual console is really something. It's sorta like a Game Genie too: it makes you want to go back and play your old games again; in this case, just to see how wonderful they can look.

S-video on my SNES looks so good, I'm not sure I can be bothered to add RGB, but if I was gonna upgrade the output on a TG-16 (don't have a Duo), or my Neo Geo, I'd certainly go for RGB or component.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a couple more pics by request.

TG16/PCE/DUO Composite

Composite out from CXA1645

S-Video out from CXA1645

Component out from CVS287

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Doraemon pics really show off the component video. You can see edge transitions of close colors better than in S-video (which is already pretty good in that pic). Hell, that component pic looks better than some RGB pics I've seen of systems connected to PAL RGB via scart. Nice job

Something I wanted to point out about the composite output of the original system. It's not done by some converter chip. It's internal to the VCE (which has the palette ram and builds the complete picture as well as the RGB out), not some third party encoder. There's also a RGB to YUV map in the chip itself (a small look up rom). The patent for the VCE shows the first three and last three entries of the YUV conversion table(green has a different ramp/adjust than B and R). So that's why there's a difference between the external composite encoder and the original composite output of the PCE/TG system. If anything, the replacement encoder is 'incorrect' as far as saturation and RGB-to-YIQ goes. But hell, it looks nice

Also somewhat related, but the VCE doesn't output composite per se. It actually already outputs component video (just not the same format). The three component signals are combined externally to form composite. You can make s-video from this video output if you wanted (no encoder chip needed). You could probably make a component output converter from the three lines too, but I haven't really looked into this (and what's needed). They output lines appear to be pretty high res too (I haven't traced the whole circuit, but they are probably passed through a filter before output).
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.